Herbal distillate prepared from ajwain or carom seeds in called ajwain ark or ajwain distillate. Ajwain ark has a slightly pungent taste and hot potency. It stimulates appetite, improves digestion and releases gas. Therefore, it is beneficial for people suffering from low appetite due to low stomach acid production or ill liver functions. It also alleviates abdominal pain that occurs due to intestinal gas or spasm. It is helpful in indigestion that occurs due to poor acid secretion. In addition, it is a great remedy for abdominal heaviness, anorexia, and intestinal gas.
|Ajwain (Carom Seeds) – Trachyspermum Ammi||300 grams|
Preparation Method: How to Make Herbal Distillate
- Digestive stimulant.
- or vermifuge
- Cardiac stimulant.
- Uterine stimulant.
- Diaphoretic (induces perspiration)
Ajwain Ark Indications
Ajwain ark is helpful in following health conditions.
- Loss of appetite.
- Abdominal pain.
- Abdominal heaviness or abdominal fullness.
- Ama dosha.
Ajwain Ark Dosage
|Infants (Below 12 Months)||5 drops|
|Children||0.5 ml per Kg Body Weight|
|Adults||12 to 60 ml|
|Geriatric Dosage||12 to 30 ml|
|Maximum Possible Dosage||120 ml in divided doses|
How to Take Ajwain Ark
Dosage Frequency: You can take Ajwain distillate 2 times a day. In case of abdominal pain, it can be used up to 4 times a day.
Medication Administration Times: If loss of appetite or anorexia, you should take Ajwain Ark before a meal. If abdominal pain, gas, and abdominal heaviness, then it is best to take after meal.
Safety Profile & Side Effects
- Acid peptic disorders – heartburn, hyperacidity or acid reflux.
- Burning sensation in the abdomen.
- Aggravate mouth ulcers.
- Excess heat sensation in the body.
You should not take Ajwain ark in the following conditions:
- Pregnancy: Due to its uterine stimulant properties. However, this action is mild, but it is advisable to avoid it during pregnancy.
- Lactation: During breastfeeding, it is not suitable because Ajwain is known to reduce breast milk supply.
- Oligospermia: If you suffer from low sperm count, it is not advisable because Ajwain (carom seeds) and its preparations are known to reduce sperm count.
- Acid Peptic Disorders: It increases gastric secretions, so it might aggravate symptoms of acid peptic disorders, especially in people who are already having a problem of excess gastric secretion.
Note: Acid peptic disorders or Amal pitta are also caused by low gastric secretion. Ajwain Ark is beneficial in such cases. This condition is often linked with Pitta Dosha aggravation due to Ama Dosha. In Ayurveda, it is called Saam Pitta condition.