Amritadi Guggulu Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
Amritadi Guggulu is a guggul based herbal medicine. Ayurvedic doctors use it for gout, piles, skin diseases, wounds, rheumatoid arthritis, fistula, reduced digestive power and constipation.
Table of Contents
Giloy (also called Amrita) and Guggul are main two ingredients in addition to Triphala. Amritadi Guggulu contains following ingredients.
- Suddha Guggulu – Commiphora wightii
- Amrita (Giloy) – Tinospora cordifolia)
- Amla (Amalaki) – Emblica officinalis
- Bibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica
- Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
- Danti Mool – Baliospermum montanum
- Black pepper (piper nigrum)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- Pipali (Long Pepper) – Pepper Longum
- Vaividang (Embelia ribes)
- Cinnamon (Dalchini) – Cinnamomum zeylanicum
Amritadi Guggulu has following medicinal properties:
- Uricosuric agent
- Mild Laxative
- Digestive stimulant
Amritadi Guggulu is helpful in following diseases.
- Gout or raised uric acid levels
- Acne or pimples
- Skin diseases
- Weight loss
- Abscesses (internal abscesses)
- Liver disorders
Amritadi Guggulu Benefits & Uses
Amritadi Guggulu has uricosuric property for which it is beneficial for gouty arthritis and raised uric acid levels. However, it is also beneficial for obesity and skin diseases. Here are some its main benefits and medicinal uses.
- Amritadi Guggulu reduces uric acid and prevents uric acid accumulation on the joints.
- It reduces joint pain and swelling in rheumatoid arthritis.
- It improves digestion and reduces AMA, toxins produced due to malabsorption of food.
- Due to antibacterial and antimicrobial action, it also helps reducing acne with pus or pimples with redness and tender pain.
- Its ingredients have potent anti-obesity action, so it can also be beneficial for people with obesity.
Gout and high uric acid
Due to uricosuric property, Amritadi Guggulu increases the excretion of the uric acid through the kidneys. It acts on renal insufficiency to filter the wastes and excreting the uric acid and other toxins. It improves kidney functions. It also prevents the formation of uric acid stones.
Approximately 70% uric acid is excreted through the kidneys and 30% uric acid is eliminated through the gut. Therefore, liver functions are also associated with high uric acid levels. Liver malfunctions result in reduction of gut elimination of uric acid. Amritadi Guggulu also works on liver and improves the liver functions.
Furthermore, the disturbed metabolism in the body also leads to over production of uric acid. Due to this, uric acid accumulates more in the body as compared to its excretion. Amritadi Guggulu also corrects metabolic disorders and reduces the production of uric acid. However, Amritadi Guggulu works slowly. For more benefits, patient should take it with Giloy Decoction.
Amritadi Guggulu works perfectly when patient has following one or more of following symptoms in gout.
- Burning sensation or heat sensation in the feet (with Giloy Satva and Gandhak Rasayana)
- Heel pain
- Tenderness in the feet – where patient complaints in difficulty in walking due to tenderness and heel pain
- Toe pain
- Joint swelling with tenderness or heat sensation
- Associated constipation
- Pain in fingers
- Excessive sweating in palms and feet
Amritadi Guggulu Dosage
However, ancient ayurvedic texts have described the dosage of Amritadi Guggulu to 10 grams a day, which is a highest dosage, but now ayurvedic doctors use it only in dosage of 500 mg to 2000 mg twice or thrice a day. We found that the following dosage according to body weight is suitable for almost all patients.
|Children (male)||10 to 20 mg per kg body weight|
|Children (Female)||7.5 to 15 mg per kg body weight|
|Adult Male||15 to 30 mg per kg body weight|
|Adult (Female)||12.5 to 25 mg per kg body weight|
In certain conditions, your doctor can reduce or increase the dosage. In general, weak patient or people with weak digestive fire may require lower dosage. Strong patient, people with good digestion or obese may patient require higher dosage.
Amritadi Guggulu Side Effects
Amritadi Guggulu is POSSIBLY SAFE & WELL TOLERATED in most people. Here are a few possible adverse effects that may occur in rare cases.
- Loose stools (may occur only with excess dosage)
- Headache (only with dosage that exceed from 10 grams a day)
If you are allergic to any ingredient of Amritadi Guggulu, you should also avoid it. Otherwise, it may result in itching and skin rashes.