Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
Anacyclus Pyrethrum (also called Akarkara) is Indian Medicinal plant used in ayurvedic, Unani and herbal medicines worldwide for the treatment of men’s diseases, common cold, toothache and pyorrhea.
Anacyclus Pyrethrum or Akarkara has libido stimulant and aphrodisiac properties, so it improves physical strength and performance during physical contact.
Table of Contents
- 1 Botanical Classification (Plant Taxonomy)
- 2 Medicinal Parts
- 3 Phytochemistry (Chemical Composition)
- 4 Medicinal Properties
- 5 Therapeutic Indications
- 6 Benefits & Medicinal Uses
- 7 Dosage
- 8 Safety Profile
- 9 Ayurvedic Formulations of Akarkara
Botanical Classification (Plant Taxonomy)
|Infra Kingdom||STREPTOPHYTA (land plants)|
|Division||TRACHEOPHYTA/TRACHEOPHYTES (vascular plants)|
|Sub Division||SPERMATOPHYTINA/SPERMATOPHYTES (Seed Plants)|
|Family||ASTERACEAE (SUNFLOWERS or TOURNESOLS)|
|Genus||ANACYCLUS L. (ANACYCLUS)|
|Scientific Name||ANACYCLUS PYRETHRUM|
|Other Names||MOUNT ATLAS DAISY, SPANISH CHAMOMILE|
|Type of Plant||Perennial plant|
|Native Range (Geographic Distribution)||India, Pakistan, Arabian countries, Spain|
Plant Root is main medicinal part of Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara).
Phytochemistry (Chemical Composition)
The exact biochemical composition of Anacyclus Pyrethrum is not well known. Some Studies suggested that Akarkara root contains alkaloid PELLITORIN (PYRETHRIN) and ALKYL AMIDES. ALKYL AMIDE in the Akarkara roots is made of TYRAMINE amides and ISOBUTYLAMIDES. ALKYL AMIDES have libido stimulant and neuroprotective properties. The aerial parts of Akarkara plant contain ANACYCLIN. Other active constituents are INULIN, SESAMIN and HYDROCAROLIN. (1)
Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) has following healing properties.
Primarily, Anacyclus pyrethrum is libido booster and aphrodisiac.
- Libido stimulant
- Analgesic (Toothache)
- Brain Tonic
- Digestive Stimulant
- Antipyretic (Mild effects)
- Muscle relaxant
- Anti-inflammatory (used in arthritis)
Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) is helpful in following health conditions.
- Loss of Libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- Swelling and pain in gums
- Childhood apraxia of speech (CAS)
- Delayed Speech Development
- Common Cold
- Epilepsy & Seizures
Benefits & Medicinal Uses
Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) is mainly beneficial for men’s problems. It helps treating all above diseases given in therapeutic indication section of this article. Here are some main medicinal uses and health benefits of Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) are given underneath.
Loss of Libido
Akarkara (Anacyclus pyrethrum) has aphrodisiac, libido stimulant, and spermatogenic actions. It influences the secretion of androgens and increases their production. Alkyl-amide, the main alkaloid in Akarkara root increases the production of testosterone. It may likely to work on hypothalamus stimulation due to Alkyl-amide. Overall, Akarkara enhances fertility, increase spermatozoa count, and improves libido in male. (2)
As per ayurvedic theories, Anacyclus Pyrethrum roots acts as libido stimulant for men because of its action on brain and nerves. It stimulates desire and increases blood supply to genitals. To increase its aphrodisiac action and sustain its effect for a long term after stopping Akarkara supplementation, it is used in combination of other herbs:
|Akarkara||500 mg *|
|Ashwagandha||1000 mg *|
|Kesar||100 mg *|
|Laung (Cloves)||100 mg *|
|Pippali (Long Pepper)||100 mg *|
|Dalchini||100 mg *|
|Javitri||100 mg *|
|Jaiphal||25 mg *|
|* Twice Daily (Adjuvant: Warm Milk)|
|This mixture has potent libido stimulant action.|
|Kaunch Beej (Mucuna Pruriens) and Musli can also be added in above combination.|
Impotency & Erectile dysfunction
Anacyclus Pyrethrum or Akarkara is good remedy for treating Impotence & Erectile dysfunction. It has same function as SILDENAFIL has, but it does not increase blood pressure. It also has lesser side effects as compared to SILDENAFIL.
Akarkara efficacy reduces after a few weeks if it is used alone. Therefore, it should be used along with Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) and Kaunch Beej (Mucuna Pruriens) powder for maximum benefits.
Pharyngitis & Sore Throat
The gargle with Akarkara water is also helpful. For this, boil 10 grams Akarkara root in 250 ml water. Gargle with this water to get relief from pharyngitis. It is also beneficial for toothache and gum diseases.
A gentle massage of Akarkara root powder with Camphor helps in toothache. It is also used with black pepper, Ajwain Khurasani (Hyoscyamus Niger) and Vaividang (Embelia ribes) for reducing toothache.
Akarkara root powder is mixed with mustard oil and used in the treatment of pyorrhea.
Anacyclus Pyrethrum root powder with black pepper and long pepper helps in common cold. Akarkara has antiviral properties, so it reduces all symptoms of flu and alleviates nasal congestion.
Childhood apraxia of speech (CAS) & Delayed Speech Development
A gentle massage of tongue with 125 mg of Akarkara root powder mixed with honey helps improving speech in children. Its effects potentiate when 125 mg Vacha (Acorus Calamus) is also added in this mixture.
How to give Akarkara tongue massage to a child
- Take a pinch (about 125 mg) fine Akarkara Powder and mix it with 1/2 tsp. honey.
- You can also add a pinch (about 125 mg) of fine Vacha powder in above mixture.
- Now, apply the paste on tongue, move the index finger on the tongue slowly and do a gentle massage for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Now, ask your child to ingest the same honey based mixture used for oral massage. Internal intake is also safe and healthy for the brain and vocal cord. It also increases memory and intelligence.
- Rinse the mouth with normal water.
- Repeat it every day (especially in the night just before sleeping) until you see desired improvement in the voice. However, you can do it twice a day, but once a day would be sufficient and reported helpful.
- Brush the teeth properly before doing the Akarkara oral massage.
- It would be better if your child can do massage himself and you just require teaching the technique. In case, the child is not able to do so, you can do this. Just remember, some may feel vomiting or nausea sensation when your finger touches the lower end of the tongue. It is natural and likely safe, but you should try to avoid this.
Akarakara and Vacha both are LIKELY SAFE with this smaller dose. This is also useful to improve overall functions of the brain. Therefore, we asked that child should swallow it after the massage.
Epilepsy & Seizures
In ayurveda, Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara root) is used as adjuvant in management of epilepsy and seizures. Studies have shown that its root extract has protective action, so it may help preventing seizures. The following herbal combination used in ayurveda prevents epileptic attacks.
|Akarkara root powder||500 mg|
|Shankhpushpi powder||1000 mg|
|Mastic Gum (Mastagi Roomi Or Rumi Mastagi)||250 mg|
This is a single dose. This Akarkara mixture should be taken twice daily and for at least 4 weeks.
The dosage of Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) varies according to age and health conditions. The maximum dosage of Anacyclus Pyrethrum should not exceed from 4 grams a day.
|Form of use||Dosage|
|Akarkara root Powder (crude form)||1 to 2 grams twice a day|
|Extract of Akarkara root||125 mg to 250 mg twice a day|
|Decoction||Prepared with 100 ml water using 3 grams Akarkara root powder once a day|
The safest dose of Anacyclus Pyrethrum is 250 mg to 1000 mg twice a day.
Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) is POSSIBLY SAFE if you are not suffering with burning sensation, gastritis, ulcer, acidity and inflammatory bowel disease.
Higher dosage and unwise use of Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) can lead to following side effects.
- Excessive salivation (common)
- Mouth ulcer (common and occurs when it is used alone)
- Burning sensation
- Aggravate ulcer condition (uncommon)
Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) is not suitable for long-term use. Its aphrodisiac effects are reduced when it is used for long-term basis. Short-term use varies from 1 to 4 weeks is POSSIBLY SAFE.
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) can induce uterine contractions and stimulate menstrual flow or uterine bleeding. Therefore, it is UNSAFE in Pregnancy.
Akarkara can also reduce milk flow, so it is also UNSAFE in breastfeeding.
You should not take Anacyclus Pyrethrum (Akarkara) in following conditions.
- Mouth ulcer or history of frequent mouth ulcers
- Burning sensation in stomach
- Ulcerative colitis
Ayurvedic Formulations of Akarkara
- Akarkara Churna
- Akarakarabhadi Churna (Ref. Sharangdhar Samhita)
- Akarakarabhadi Vati (Ref. Bhaishajya Ratnavali)
- Akarkaradi Guggul
- Jatiphaladi Vati (Stambhak)