Anu Thailam Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
Anu Thailam is herbal oil used for the treatment of diseases related to head, brain, eyes, face, nose, ear, and neck. In fact, Anu Thailam is a preventive medicine in ayurveda, which helps preventing diseases of upper parts of the body.
Anu Thailam improves memory and functions of four sense organs including nose, ear, eyes and tongue. It also helps in all types of nervous disorders, which occurs due to the dysfunction of the brain cells. However, it may not help in disorders that occur due to any brain injury.
- 1 Anu Thailam Ingredients
- 2 Indications
- 3 Anu Thailam Benefits & Uses
- 4 Dosage & Direction of Use
- 5 Anu Thailam Side Effects
- 6 Manufacturers & Brands
Anu Thailam Ingredients
The base oil of Anu Thailam is Sesame Oil. All herbs are processed in sesame oil for preparing the Anu Thailam. The following ingredients are used for preparing the Anu Thailam.
- Aegle marmelos
- Asparagus recemosus
- Aquilaria agallocha
- Cedrus deodara
- Cinnamomum verum
- Coleus vettiveroides
- Coscinium fenestratum
- Cyperus esculentus
- Cyperus rotundus
- Desmodium gangeticum
- Elettaria cardamomum
- Embelia ribes
- Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) – Licorice – Glycyrrhiza Glabra
- Hemidesmus indicus
- Holostemma adakodien
- Nelumbo nucifera
- Ocimum sanctum
- Pogostemon cablin
- Pseudarthria viscida
- Santalum album
- Solanum indicum
- Solanum melongena
- Vetiveria zizanioides
- Vitex agnus-castus
- Sida retusa
- Goat Milk
Anu Thailam has indications regarding diseases related to brain, nose, sinus, eyes, head, neck, shoulders and arms.
Brain, Nerves & Mind
- Memory Loss
- Poor concentration
- Mental Stress
- Depression (with passive symptoms)
- Facial paralysis
- Weak Eyesight
- Preventive medicines for keeping optimum eyesight
Mouth, Oral Cavity & Vocal Cord
- Hoarseness of voice
Bones, Joints & Muscles
- Frozen Shoulder
- Stiffness in the head
- Neck Stiffness
- Jaw Stiffness
Nose, Sinus, Lungs & Airways
- Chronic coryza
- Sinus Congestion
Anu Thailam Benefits & Uses
Anu Thailam acts on nasal membranes and ayurveda believes nose as a path to brain, so oil is also effective for the brain disorders. It is a good remedy for inflammation of nasal mucosa, sinusitis, headache, weak eyesight, memory loss, chronic catarrh, cataract and several other diseases.
Before discussing about the detailed benefits and medicinal uses, have a glance over key benefits given underneath.
- Anu Thailam improves the sense of smell.
- It improves eyesight and prevents eye diseases.
- It helps clearing sinuses and prevents sinusitis.
- It improves voice and the vocal cord.
- It provides strength to the facial muscles, jaw joint and other facial structures.
- Anu oil helps relieving neck stiffness and prevents cervical spondylosis.
- It helps curing hair fall and baldness. It also prevents early greying of hair.
- Anu Taila is beneficial in all types of headache and facial paralysis.
Nose is a door to the brain and Nasya using Anu Thailam prevents all types of brain disorders including seizures, poor coordination, mental stress, depression, headache, migraine, Parkinson’s disease, memory loss and dementia.
According to ayurveda, your body require lubrication. Anu Taila applies from outer skin to inner layers of mucosal membranes. Therefore, nasal membranes also require oil lubrication to keep it healthy. The preventive use of Anu Thailam helps preventing chronic catarrh, inflammation of nasal mucosa, sinusitis and breathing troubles occur due to congestion. Anu Thailam clears the sinus and provides strength to all structures of nasal cavity.
Mental Stress & Depression
According to ayurveda, VATA, PITTA & KAPHA involve in all diseases including mental stress and depression. The use of Anu Oil in regular nasal administration keeps all three DOSHA under balance and maintains their harmony in the body, especially upper parts of the body. It also provides feeling of relaxation after an hour of its use, which also reduces the mental stress and treats depression. It pacifies VATA, which plays a major role in development of depression. Thus, it also helps in treating depression symptoms. Anu Thailam affects the brain possibly through penetrating mucosal membranes of nasal cavity and increases serotonin level in the brain. However, the proper mechanism how Anu Thailam works in brain disorder is not yet known, but it is true it helps reducing stress disorders.
Memory Loss & Poor concentration
According to ayurveda, VATA causes deterioration in brain functions that affect memory and concentration. Excess VATA in brain causes loss of memory, poor coordination, poor concentration, increase mind wander, disturbing dreams etc. All these things are reduced using Anu Thailam regularly on daily basis. Anu Taila increases memory and concentration, prevents dementia, and delays aging of the brain.
Facial paralysis is caused by facial nerve injury or damage due to several factors including infections, trauma, tumour or stroke. Nerves are VATA organs and excess VATA affects its natural functions. Anu Thailam reduces VATA aggravation, reduces nerve damage, improves nervine functions and enhances the faster recovery from facial paralysis.
Headache & Migraine
Anu Thailam works on weakness of nerves and brain. It improves brain and nervine functions. Although Anu Oil is not effective on headache with abdominal aetiology, but it works well when VATA humour, nerves and brain is involved. Sometimes, over activity in the brain structures cause headache and migraines. Anu Thailam is effective for this type of headache. It is also effective for headache associated with sinusitis or congestion.
Nasal Congestion, Sinusitis & Chronic coryza
Anu Thailam clears the nasal cavity and removes dirt particles, excess mucus, allergens and microbes from the nose and sinuses. It also lubricates nasal mucosa and sinuses. Hence, it reduces nasal congestion, infections of sinuses, and chronic coryza.
Dosage & Direction of Use
The dosage of Anu Thailam is according to the purpose of the use. If you want to use it for preventive purposes, its dosage is about 2 drops in each nostril.
|Purpose of Use||Dosage for instillation|
|Preventive Purpose||2 drops in early morning|
|Therapeutic Use (General)||2 to 5 drops|
|Panchakarma Treatment||5 to 10 drops|
- For regular use and for preventive purposes, you can just instil 2 drops of Anu Thailam in the morning every day.
- For therapeutic purposes, your doctor can advise using in up to 5 drops in the morning a day.
How to use Anu Thailam in Nasya (Panchakarma) Procedure
- Take some sesame oil and do facial massage before the instillation of the Anu Thailam. This step can be skipped in case if you are using it for preventive purposes, but we strongly suggest facial massage before using it for maximum health benefits.
- After massage, you also require hot fomentation. Dip the cotton towel in hot water and place warm towel on face except eyes. Alternatively, you can wash your face with warm water.
- Now, warm the Anu Thailam soaking its container in hot water for a few minutes.
- Now, lie down on back and prop a soft pillow under the neck and head.
- Tilt your head backward, so that you can easily instil oil drops in both nostrils. You can also take help from another person for instilling the oil in the nostrils.
- Lie down until you feel the oil comes to your mouth or you have some decongestion feeling in the nose. It may take 2 to 5 minutes. You will also feel some mucus in the throat and nose. Meanwhile, ask another person to do massage of palms and soles.
- Now, go to the washbasin and spit the mucus out. Keep spiting until you feel comfortable. It may take 30 minutes to eliminate all secretions that come out from the nose and mouth. You may also feel some irritation in the nose, throat and mouth. It will disappear after a few minutes.
- Now, rinse your mouth and clean your nose with warm water. You can also gargle with warm salt water if irritation persists.
Anu Thailam Side Effects
Anu Thailam cause mild irritation in the nose, throat and mouth. You can also feel nasal congestion due to excess secretions immediately after using it. These are generally considered normal and part of the panchakarma detoxification. You should spit out all these secretions. Irritation and discomfort disappear after a few minutes. In some cases, irritation may persist for 30 minutes to an hour. If you feel irritation persists longer than expected, you should immediately contact panchakarma therapist for measures. The general measure is gargling with warm salt water. It helps reducing the irritation. Patient may have excessive sneezing after using the Anu Thailam.
Manufacturers & Brands
- Arya Vaidya Sala Kottakkal
- Sri Sri Ayurveda