Arogyavardhini Vati Benefits, Uses & Side Effects

Arogyavardhini Vati Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
5 (100%) 1 vote

Arogyavardhini Vati (also known as Arogyavardhini Gutika Rasa) is an ayurvedic herbal mineral formulation. It is effective solution for almost all types of diseases. It is useful in diseases of heart, stomach, liver, intestines, spleen, gall bladder, skin, teeth and gums.

Arogyavardhini Vati is also helpful in thyroid disorders, obesity, diabetes, edema due to any underlying cause, psoriasis etc.

Other names

• Arogyavardhini Gutika
  • Arogyavardhini Vatika
  • Arogyavardhini Rasa
  • Sarvroghar Vati

Ingredients

500 mg Arogyavardhini Vati contains.

IngredientsQuantity
Picrorhiza Kurroa (Kutki)55%
Shuddha Guggulu10%
Plumbago Zeylanica (Chitrak)10%
Shilajit (purified asphaltum)7.5%
Emblica officinalis (Amla, Indian Gooseberry)5%
Terminalia Bellirica (Bibhitaki)5%
Terminalia Chebula (Haritaki)5%
Parad Purified (Shuddha Parad)0.5%
Purified Sulfur (Shuddha Gandhak)0.5%
Loha Bhasma (Lauh Bhasma)0.5%
Abhrak Bhasma0.5%
Tamra Bhasma0.5%

Medicinal Properties

Arogyavardhini Vati has following healing properties.

Primary Action

• Digestive Stimulant
  • Appetizer
  • Carminative
  • Mild laxative
  • Anti-obesity
  • Liver tonic
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antipruritics
  • Demulcent

Secondary Action

• Anti-hypertensive
  • Hematogenic (helps in formation of red blood cells)
  • Mild Expectorant

Therapeutic Indications

Arogyavardhini Vati is helpful in following health conditions.

• Hypertension
  • Itching
  • Eczema
  • Psoriasis
  • Urticaria
  • Pyorrhea

Benefits & Medicinal Uses

Arogyavardhini Vati mainly works on digestive system. Ayurveda believes a proper digestion is a main component of health. If digestion becomes poor, it leads to various diseases in the body. Generally, poor digestion may cause malabsorption and production of more toxins (AMA) in the body, which ultimately cause a variety of disorders. The second factor is constipation. Constipation is also a root of many diseases in the body. Arogyavardhini Vati works on both. It improves digestion and corrects metabolic activities in the body. It also cures constipation and prevents diseases.

Heart Diseases

Arogyavardhini Vati reduces cholesterol levels by improving liver functions. It also prevents deposition of plaque in the blood vessels. It also prevents atherosclerosis (hardening of blood vessels). Thus, it helps patients with high cholesterol levels and heart diseases.

However, it may not have direct influence on reducing elevated blood pressure, but it reduces lipids in the blood vessels and sometimes, high cholesterol levels and atherosclerosis are the main causes of hypertension. It works slowly and its action can appear only after 3 to 4 month regular therapy with it.

Some patients with high blood pressure have following symptoms.

• Redness in eyes
  • Headache
  • Insomnia
  • Pain around eyes
  • Restlessness
  • Constipation

Arogyavardhini Vati helps in all these symptoms. It should be taken with one of following adjuvants.

• Milk boiled with Aragvadha (Amaltas) fruit pulp – Cassia fistula
  • Aragwadhadi Kashayam
  • Aragwadharishtam
  • Drakshadi Kashayam
  • Gulkand

Patient may require taking Arogyavardhini Vati with one of above adjuvants 3 to 6 times a day to get immediate symptomatic relief.

Chronic Constipation

Ancient scholars actually formulated formula of Arogyavardhini Vati to work on constipation. However, it is beneficial in all types of constipation, but it mainly works well in chronic type. It has following actions in chronic constipation.

1. It provides strength to the intestines due to Shilajit and other minerals present in it.
  2. It stimulates the secretion of bile from the liver and bile improves peristaltic movements of intestine, which ultimately helps facilitating the movement of stool from the intestines to lower end of the large intestine.
  3. It softens the stools and reduces hard stool formation.
  4. It reduces excessive stickiness or fattiness of stools to the intestinal walls, which facilitates stool movement.
  5. It improves digestion and facilitates a proper absorption of nutrients in the body.

Liver Disorders & Hepatitis

Arogyavardhini Vati is generally good for following liver conditions.

• Jaundice
  • Fatty liver syndrome
  • Edema associated with liver disease
  • Inflammatory diseases of liver
  • Viral hepatitis
  • Alcoholic hepatitis

Arogyavardhini Vati has anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties. Some of its ingredients also have anti-bacterial properties. All these properties make it effective in almost all types of liver disorders. However, it may not work alone, so the following herbs can help to potentiate its action in liver diseases. These herbs should be used as adjuvants or supportive remedies in liver diseases.

1. Phyllanthus niruri (Bhumyamalaki)
  2. Tephrosia purpurea (sharpunkha)
  3. Eclipta alba (Bhringraj)
  4. Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh)
  5. Solanum nigrum (Makoi)
  6. Piper longum (Pipali)
  7. Terminalia chebula (Haritaki)
  8. Ocimum sanctum (Tulsi)

Loss of appetite & Indigestion

Arogyavardhini Vati contains CHIRAK herb and long pepper, which increases appetite and reduces indigestion.

Gas, Flatulence & Bloating

Herbs present in Arogyavardhini Vati have anti-flatulent action and reduces gas formation in the alimentary canal. Hence, Arogyavardhini Vati reduces intestinal gas, flatulence, bloating and abdominal distension.

Dosage

The dosage of Arogyavardhini Vati varies from 250 mg to 1000 grams twice or thrice a day. The maximum dosage of Arogyavardhini Vati should not exceed from 3 grams a day.

Minimum Effective Dosage125 mg *
Moderate Therapeutic Dosage (Adults)250 mg to 500 mg *
Moderate Therapeutic Dosage (Children)125 mg to 250 mg *
Maximum Possible Dosage1000 mg **

* Twice a day ** Thrice a day

Caution & Side Effects

The unwise use and wrong analysis of DOSHA (humors) involvement in diseases can lead to side effects. You should remember that Arogyavardhini Vati works well in VATA humor and KAPHA humor. It can also be used in case of SAMA PITTA or PITTA associated with dominance of KAPHA humor.  It can worsen the following symptoms of NIRAMA PITTA.

• Burning sensation (But if KAPHA is dominant or AMA is associated with PITTA, then arogyavardhini vati may be useful, otherwise it is contraindicated.)
  • Ulceration in mouth (only if inflamed ulcer with redness, burning and intense pain)
  • Increase bleeding (very rare)
  • Vertigo (very rare)

However, Arogyavardhini Vati does not cause these side effects itself, but it is contraindicated in these health condition because it may worsen these symptoms.

Pregnancy & Breastfeeding

Arogyavardhini Vati is likely to  be UNSAFE in pregnancy. Therefore, there are many safer alternatives available, so you should never use Arogyavardhini Vati in pregnancy.

The safety profile is not available for breastfeeding, so you should stay on safer side and avoid using Arogyavardhini Vati during lactation period.

Contraindications

There are no absolute contraindications for Arogyavardhini Vati, but it may not be suitable in following conditions:

1. Pregnancy
  2. Kidney Diseases, especially renal failure

FAQs About Arogyavardhini Vati

Is long-term and regular use of Arogyavardhini Vati safe?

The long-term and regular use of Arogyavardhini Vati is not advisable because 500 mg Arogyavardhini Vati contains 2.5 mg Purified Parad. It is purified mercury compound. However, the absorption of purified mercury is very less in alimentary canal, but we should stay on safer side until the research studies declare it safe.

However, the long-term use of Arogyavardhini Vati does not show any acute or chronic side effects even in patients using it for more than 3 years on regular basis with dosage of 2 tablets (1000 mg) twice daily.

Nevertheless, we recommend skipping it for several days for safety and eliminating any unwanted effect if any. For safety, one should skip its dosage after every 6 weeks for 15 days. It will help clearing the mercury from the body.

You might also like

Questions & Answers (41)

1. Nur says

Dear Dr. Jagdev,

It is very delightful reading description of the ayurvedic medicine in your website.
    I am bit confused regarding following statements made about arogyavardhini vati in Triphala guggulu and here.

Here in the contraindications paragraph Arogya vardhini vati is put to be contraindicated in pitta dosha and Burning sensation.
    But in the Triphala guggulu it is written that ” however, above formula is not for people suffering from gastritis and acid reflux. They should use only triphala guggulu and Arogyavardhini vati.

Could you please remove my confusion?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Actually, Arogyavardhini vati is contraindicated in NIRAMA PITTA. Burning sensation can be associated with excess KAPHA as well as NIRAMA PITTA. In case of NIRAMA PITTA, it should not be used. Otherwise in case of SAMA PITTA or KAPHA dominance, it can be beneficial.

In formula given in Triphala Guggul article contains Pushkarmool, which is highly contraindicated because it may severely worsen the PITTA symptoms. Triphala guggul as well as arogyavardhini vati does not have this type of potential.

We have cleared all points in both articles regarding this, you can read them again.

1. Nur says

Thanks a billion for your subtle answer.

How did you learn this subtle issues about medicines? Could you please recommend me any book which would help me gain deeper insight about ayurvedic medicines? I would be grateful if you could help me in this regard.

Another issue is that, In the book ” Principle and Practice of Ayurvedic medicine by Prof. srinivaslu , in all of the cases where arogyovardhi vati is recommend , the dose is prescribed to be 250mg. But in the discussion above you have illustrated different dose criteria very elaborately.
        I want to know why in the aforesaid book the dosage is always mentioned 250 mg?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. Actually, I have travelled many places to learn ayurveda and herbal science from experienced ayurvedic practitioners and I have an ayurvedic library in my clinic, which helps me understanding all these concepts.

2. I would like to recommend Charaka Samhita for clearing the concepts. Nothing is above this book in ayurveda. Second book, you can read Ras Tantra Saar va Sidh Prayog Sangrah for ayurvedic formulations and their uses.

3. Here we are talking about the minimum and maximum possibilities of the dosage for therapeutic purposes. Even 125 mg arogyavardhini can work. The dosage can change according to the tolerability and health condition of a person. 250 mg is a minimum dosage in adults and 125 mg is minimum dosage in children. The maximum dosage can exceed up to 1 gram twice or thrice a day.

2. NILESH says

Sir, I have a fatty liver problem, acidity and gas also. May I use Arogyavardhini vati or suggest me some other.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Arogyavardhini vati helps in fatty liver and gas, but for acidity, coriander (Dhania) leaves juice or dried leaves powder is good remedy.

3. Vikas kumar says

Sir, I have problem of hyper-immunity/hypersensitivity. Due to this, there is allergy in my nose. My body cannot absorb energy. It overreacts e.g., whenever I do exercises or take protein food, I suffer from sneezing.

Can I take Arogyavardhini vati for correction of immune system? Please suggest.

Vikas kumar

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Arogyavardhini vati is not a right choice for this problem. Trikatu powder, Sitopaladi Churna and Haridrakhand may be better options for this problem.

4. Vikas kumar says

Sir,
    I will take your advice for my said problem.
    Please also suggest whether I take Arogyavardhini vati for getting to strengthen liver and other organs.

5. dr shashi jindal says

very nice informative and scientific description.

6. AMSI says

I have not seen such detailed responses on any other website. Thanks to Dr. Jagdev for this community help. My question is – can Arogyavardhini Vati be taken by women (with delayed period every other month) suffering from tonsillitis and gallstone problem?

Ongoing medication:
    1. Khadiadi Vati
    2. Kanchnaar Guggul
    3. Shool Vajrini Vati
    4. Phaltrikadi Kwath
    Yet to start – 5. Stonores Tablets

As the list above is result of self research, any other suggestion regarding ongoing medicines will be helpful.

Thanks!

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

There should be no problem with Arogyavardhini Vati in such case, but Sootshekhar Ras is better option. I think there is no requirement of all other remedies that you have written except Phalatrikadi Kwath. For recurrent Tonsillitis, Septilin is a good option.

1. AMSI says

Thanks for the suggestion! Can you advice something that may dissolve a 14mm gallstone (Stonorex seems to be for initial stages)? And should Arogyavardhini Vati and Phaltrikadi Kwath be continued along?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Juice of Karela Leaves (Momordica Charantia – bitter melon or bitter gourd) is beneficial in gallstones as adjuvant with Sutshekhar Ras. There is no effective remedy for gallbladder stones other than this one.

We have tried many remedies, but we didn’t see any improvement except this one. This is also only effective to reduce pain, size and associated problems, but it does not cure the problem. Ultimately, surgical removal is an option.

1. AMSI says

Please share your view on effectiveness of Kokilaksh, Yavaksh and Apamarga Kshars for gallstone problem? I have come across many websites suggesting at least one of these Kshars along with a hepatoprotective formula or a digestive aid. Also, how effective is Varunadi Kwath (which contains Pashanbhed)?

2. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

According to our experience, all these effective in kidney stones.

7. AMSI says

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. Much appreciate your help!

8. vikas says

Sir I have constipation and digestion problem since childhood and gas. I am taking Arogyavardhini vati since last 2 years regularly, but take one time in 3-4 days. Is any side effect for long time taking this medicine?

9. Mrs. Kamal says

Dear Dr. Jagdev Singh

I am 60 years and suffer from fatty liver, though it is mild. Besides, I also have a solitary stone in my gall bladder. I started taking Arogyavardhini Vati a couple of days back for the treatment of fatty liver. Ever since then I have been experiencing slight stomach pain and also have had involuntary emission of urine twice while sitting. I would request you to advise me if these could be the side effects of the medicine.

Thanks & Regards

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

We did not observe these effects after intake of Arogyavardhini vati, but if you feel Arogyavardhini vati is causing this to you, you should skip it for several days and then again start taking it. If you again experience same symptoms, then it may be possible that Arogyavardhini vati is not suitable to you.

10. sushil says

Sir, which ayurvedic medicine should I use to burn my fat? I work out 5 times in a week.

11. Dilip says

Dear Jagdev sir,
    Please help my sister has hypothyroidism with fatty liver with right ovary cyst and a small fibroid. Now she is diagnosed with fibromyalgia too. Sir what all treatment is required. Please guide us sir. We are in dire need of best ayurvedic advice. Also, if it is possible to meet you in person than please share your contact. We will be extremely thankful to you.

Sir please, Mention the dosage of the remedies with number of times taken in a day and duration of total treatment. My sister’s age is 28 years and weight fluctuates around 57kg with height of 5′. I know I am asking you a lot, but I am in great need of it.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The following ayurvedic remedies can help, but you should also seek advice from the local ayurvedic doctor because Dosha Analysis is also compulsory for a proper treatment. Remedies given below cannot be skipped in the treatment. These will help in all – hypothyroidism, fatty liver, ovary cyst, fibroid and fibromyalgia.
      1. Arogyavardhini Vati = 2 Tablets
      2. Kanchnar Guggul = 2 Tablets
      3. Yogaraj Guggul = 2 Tablets
      4. Chandraprabha Vati = 2 Tablets
      These remedies should be taken twice daily with warm water an hour after meal for at least 6 months.

1. Dilip says

Thank you sir for replying in no time. We will consult to the local doctor and get back to you. Sir, one confusion is there. 2 tablets taken twice a day sums out to 4 tablets a day for each medicine? These all medicine can be taken together or with a gap in between. Any drug interactions that I need to be vary of.

1. 4 Tablets per day for each remedy
          2. There are no known interactions and should be taken together.

1. Dilip says

Thank you so much sir..i will get back to you soon.god bless you..

12. shilpi says

I am suffering from alopecia areata for the past 15 yrs. I am 34 yrs old now. I lose my eyebrow and eyelash hair periodically and they come back in 6 to 7 months. My ayurvedic doctor has prescribed me Arogyavardhini along with other medicines. I have been taking it for the past 3 months but no respite. It is okay to take it for so long. Is it the right medicine?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

There should be no problem taking Arogyavardhini Vati for a long period. We did not observe any side effects in patients using it continuously for 3 years. But we suggest that its continuous use should not be more than 6 months.

According to ayurveda, treatment is based on the Dosha, so Arogyavardhini Vati can be given even if it is not specifically indicated in any disease to correct the Dosha and liver functions. Therefore, I cannot give you answer if it is right or wrong medicine. You should ask this to the prescribing doctor why he gave you Arogyavardhini Vati.

13. piyush says

I have thyroid problem (hypothyroid), TSH is high, I am 27 yr old. Don’t want to take those thyroxin 50 mg tablets. Please suggest I want to cure it completely

Symptoms

Sometimes cracked feet, sometime hair fall, dandruff, nervous, sweating, high eosinophil level, nerves problem etc.

Please help right now I am taking Patanjali chyawanprash and Trikatu churna.

14. Rajan says

I am having 4 Arogyawardhini Bati and 4 Chandraprabha vati also 2 Amlapittaantaki Yog daily for high BP, Cholesterol, Liver and Sugar, but my Sugar before Breakfast is going high. Your guidance is required.

15. kiran says

Is it useful for liver cirrhosis and fatty liver? How long should it be used?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Arogyavardhini Vati has hypolipidemic activity due to its main ingredient Kutki (Picrorhiza Kurroa). Therefore, it helps in fatty liver disease.

Arogyavardhini Vati also has hepatoprotective properties. In Liver Cirrhosis, it is likely to prevent scarring of liver tissue. It stops the progress of the liver disease and improves liver functions. In ayurveda, Arogyavardhini Vati is good remedy for Liver Cirrhosis.

16. Rahul says

2-2 tablets of Arogyavardhini taken after meal or before meal

17. Amitendra Soni says

Hello Sir,
    I have problem middy fatty leaver & my LFT test is normal so suggest me medicine.

18. SATISH KUMAR SIKKA says

Is Arogyavardhini Vati helpful if tightness is felt in the belly and has a desire for motion every time?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Yes, Arogyavardhini Vati is beneficial in cases of abdominal tightness, bloating, and gas. Generally, if you have constipation, then these symptoms can appear. It reduces constipation and improves the bowel movement.

Ask a Question

Your email address will not be published.