Avocado has gained a lot of attention for its health benefits from researchers all over the world. But not everyone can avail the advantages of avocado. Individuals who are avocado intolerant lack an enzyme that is required for proper digestion of avocado. Such an absence causes indigestion when avocado is consumed. Avocado Intolerance is non-IgE mediated hypersensitivity that makes digestion of avocado difficult.
Fructose is a sugar present in fruits. Deficiency of fructose carriers in the small intestine impairs the digestion and absorption of fructose from the fruits. It further causes accumulation of fructose in the intestine. Hence, this gives rise to the onset of undesirable symptoms in avocado intolerant individuals.
Table of Contents
Causes of Avocado Intolerance
- Avocado intolerance is non-IgE mediated hypersensitivity, which makes digestion of avocado difficult. It is completely different from food allergies or Avocado Allergy. Lack of enzymes required for the digestion of fruit sugar is the main cause of such an intolerance.
- Inflammation of the intestine can alter the action of enzymes required for the digestion of fruit sugars. It further affects the gut transport proteins required for the absorption of fructose present in avocado.
- Use of antibiotics for a prolonged period of time or intestinal infections can also change the activity of healthy micro-organisms and enzymes present in the gut. This can cause a temporary intolerance to avocado and other fructose-containing
- Pre-existing gut issues such as inflammatory bowel syndrome or celiac disease can also lead to avocado intolerance.
Avocado Intolerance Symptoms
Avocado contains sorbitol, a fruit sugar, which undergoes fermentation in individuals with avocado intolerance. Such a fermentation gives rise to symptoms such as bloating and diarrhea.
Symptoms appear usually after consumption of avocado or products made using avocado. Symptoms include:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Stomach pain
- Diarrhea or loose stools
Diagnosis & Tests
Hydrogen Breath Test:
This is a simple test, which does not require withdrawal of blood. Your breath is analyzed after the intake of fructose solution drink. A higher amount of hydrogen is produced in the intestines, when the sugar present in avocado remains undigested. Therefore, a person who is avocado intolerant will have more amount of hydrogen in his breath.
This test can be done by yourself. Elimination of avocado and its products will delete the undesirable symptoms in individuals with avocado intolerance. This helps the person to understand the effect of avocado on his overall health. With the help of a registered dietician you can develop a plan to eliminate avocado from the diet.
Observing yourself and symptoms after the consumption of avocado or avocado-based products can help you in determining the effect of avocado on health.
- Having gastrointestinal issues such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS) puts you at a higher risk of developing an avocado
- Read the ingredient list carefully before purchasing food items. If you are avocado intolerant, avoid intake of foods that contain even a small amount of avocado.
Treatment Of Avocado Intolerance
- Complete elimination of avocado can be beneficial for individuals with avocado intolerance.
- Besides the fruit, avoid your intake of products made from avocado.
List of Foods to Avoid
Avocado is a versatile food ingredient. Besides its direct consumption, avocado is used in the preparation of various dishes. Individuals with avocado intolerance must avoid:
- Guacamole- a dip made from avocado
- Avocado milkshake
- Avocado smoothies
- Fruit juices that contain avocado
- Avocado soups
- Desserts made from avocado