Ayurvedic Treatment Basic Principles
Ayurvedic treatment is an ancient strategy for the management of diseases. It includes the use of food as medicine, dietary modifications, lifestyle changes, herbs and ayurvedic medicines according to the principles of ayurveda.
Basics of Ayurvedic Treatment
Following things are basics of ayurvedic treatment.
The first step of ayurvedic treatment is a detailed analysis of following things:
- Underlying causes
- Dominance of a single humor
- Associated humors
- AMA Toxin association
Ayurvedic treatment is based on the identification of dominance of a single or two humors, recognizing underlying causes, analysis of associated humors and toxin (called AMA toxin). This analysis requires a detail medical history, questions & answers and detail of each symptom that a patient experience.
Diagnosis of disease
After the above analysis, your ayurvedic doctor diagnoses the disease according to ayurveda and involvement of humors and AMA toxin.
Some diseases are not listed in ayurveda, so Charaka said that there are many other diseases, which are not described in the Charaka Samhita, ayurvedic doctor need to establish and confirm his diagnosis according to three body humors and two mind humors.
Food as medicine
After the first step, ayurveda uses the food as medicine. It involves analysis of following things:
- Current dietary habits
- Favorable and unfavorable food according to the body type of person
- Favorable and unfavorable food according to the health condition, disease or symptoms
Check your diet what is going wrong and advise appropriate changes in your regular diet.
He will further analyze if any food is causing a problem in your life, then he will advise to eliminate that foodstuff and advise more favorable foods according to your health condition.
After this analysis, your ayurvedic doctor will provide a list of recommended foods and restriction foods.
Ayurvedic herbs & Ayurvedic medicines
After the in depth analysis of your body type, humors involvement in a disease and mind involvement, ayurvedic doctor prescribes the suitable herbs and ayurvedic medicines.
Ayurveda believes the involvement of humors and their intensity changes according to the progress of the disease, season, diet and many other factors.
Therefore, you need a regular follow-ups and analysis of humor’s intensity. Then there are possibilities that you require a change in various ayurevdic remedies according to present conditions and symptoms.
Important Principles of Ayurvedic Treatment
Ayurveda treats the whole patient including body, mind and soul. Ayurveda does not suppress symptoms of the disease, but it treats the whole body and removes the root cause of the diseases. Therefore, ayurvedic treatment is famous for getting a permanent cure from the disease. Due to this reason, there are minimal chances of recurrence of ailment with ayurvedic treatment.
Here are some important principles of ayurevdic treatment:
Each individual has a unique body type. Modern science also recognizes this fact and describes it a unique genetics of a person. However, deciding treatment according to modern genetic is very difficult yet, because further research studies are yet required.
However, ayurveda has recognized the common characteristics of uniqueness of individual.
Ayurveda divides the body types into 7 categories according to sharing of common characteristics in various people.
- Vata Prakirti
- Pitta Prakirti
- Kapha Prakirti
- Vata-pitta Prakirti
- Vata-kapha Prakirti
- Pitta-kapha Prakirti
- Sama Prakirti
Sama Prakirti is considered best according to ayurvedic science.
As we have discussed above that ayurvedic treatment requires the recognition of the dominance of one or two of these humors and then ayurvedic doctor starts the treatment. Therefore, three humors have a great significance in ayurvedic treatment.
Panchakarma (Ayurvedic Cleansing & Detoxification)
Panchakarma is a crucial part of ayurvedic treatment. It consists of five major therapeutic measures and other miner ayurvedic therapies.
Panchakarma removes the toxins from the body and helps to cure the disease from its roots.
Five major panchakarma procedures are:
According to Charaka Samhita
- Nirooha Basti
- Anuvasana Basti
According to Shustra Samhita
- Nirooha Basti
Rejuvenation or Rasyana
Ayurveda recommends Rasyana treatment for prevention of diseases. It is further beneficial in chronic and obstinate diseases.
All herbs and ayurvedic medicines in rasyana have rejuvenation action in the body. These medicines are also very useful to get cure from minor and common diseases.
Patient guidelines for Ayurvedic treatment
The following guidelines can help patients to get better results with ayurvedic treatment.
- Do not hide anything from your doctor and tell the all symptoms because ayurveda treats the whole body, not the single symptoms. Therefore, a proper diagnosis requires knowing all symptoms and discomforting that you experience.
- Take vegetarian diet during ayurvedic treatment unless ayurvedic doctor advises for any animal food.
- Follow all instructions of ayurvedic physician and do not avoid any of them because each instruction has a great importance in management of humors aggravation.
- Wake up early as much as possible. Ayurveda recommends waking up at least 30 minutes before the sunrise.
- Take a good sleep at night. Ayurveda recommends 6 to 9 hours sleep at night.
- Drink 6 to 12 glasses of water according to your age. It helps to eliminating toxins through the kidneys.
- If you are not suffering with common cold or fever, then regularly take ayurvedic oil massage. In some diseases, oil massage is restricted and your doctor will guide if you are suffering from such disease.
- Do physical work or exercises. Ayurveda also recommends practicing yoga and meditation for boosting the effectiveness of ayurvedic remedies.
- Follow a good hygiene and wear clean cloths.
- Be positive and remove all negative thoughts from your mind. Mind is involved in about 70 to 90 percent diseases, so being positive helps to get rid of diseases fast.
- Eat healthy food and avoid bad dietary habits. Do not take highly processed foods, restaurant or junk foods.
I hope ayurvedic treatment helps you to get rid of your discomfort or disease fast. Above tips might help you to understand about the ayurvedic treatment better.
Ayurvedic treatment for diseases
Here are some pages, which can help you to understand individual ayurvedic treatment of various diseases. Click on the name of the disease listed below to find out the treatment for that.