Bhasma are very fine ayurvedic medicinal powders prepared by the process of calcination of metals, minerals and natural stones or gem. The calcination is a process of heating metals, minerals, etc. on a high temperature to convert them into their oxides. Bhasma are manufactured with a series of preparation methods involving detoxification of raw materials, grinding them with herbal juices, making small pieces, drying, and heating. The gradual process of preparation may continue for a week to 3 years. The end-product of these long term preparation methods are residues of metals and minerals. Bhasma are also called ashes or calcined preparations.
Process of Bhasma Formation
- Selection of raw material
- Identification of purity
- Washing and cleaning
- Grinding and making fine powders
- Mixing with herbal juices or herbs
- Again grinding with herbal juices for 10 to 100 hours
- Making paste, then making small pieces
- Keeping the small pieces to dry up
- When small pieces are dehydrated, then putting them in earthen pots
- The materials are then heated up under high temperature to make bhasma.
- Again, step no. 5 to 10 are repeated until the metal or mineral gains the properties of bhasma.
Uses of Bhasma
There are different kinds of bhasma prepared and used in ayurveda. Each has its specific indications, properties and healing characteristics. Generally, most of them are used in the treatment of chronic diseases such as osteoarthritis, infertility, erectile dysfunction, chronic gastritis, ulcer, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory diseases, psoriasis, eczema, depression, bipolar disorder, cancer, tuberculosis, hormonal problems etc.
Price of bhasma
Due to the extensive labor used in the bhasma making, they are generally expensive ayurvedic medicines. The cost depends on the numbers of puta (heating process) and cost of raw material. For example, gold is used to make swarna bhasma, so it is very costly and godanti bhasma is chief because the number of puta are less as compared 1000 puta abhrak bhasma.
List of Bhasma
A complete list of bhasma used in Ayurveda is given underneath:
- Abhrak bhasma
- Akik bhasma
- Aviltoladi Bhasma Ganji
- Godanti bhasma
- Gomed Mani (Stone) Bhasma & Pishti
- Hajrul Yahood Bhasma (Sange yahood Bhasma)
- Heerak Bhasma – Heera or Vajra Bhasma
- Kansya Bhasma (Kansa Bhasma or Bell Metal Bhasma)
- Kanta loha bhasma
- Kasis Bhasma
- Kasis Godanti Bhasma
- Kukkutanda twak bhasma (Processed Eggshell Calcium)
- Loha Bhasma
- Mandur Bhasma
- Mukta Bhasma
- Muktasukti Bhasma & Mukta Shukti Pishti
- Panaviraladi Bhasma
- Chandi Bhasma (Rajat Bhasma)
- Shankh Bhasma (Shankha Bhasm)
- Shringa Bhasma (Shrung Bhasma)
- Swarna Bhasma
- Tamra Bhasma
- Yashad bhasma or Jasad Bhasma
- Jahar mohra Bhasma
- Trivanga (tribang) Bhasma
- Naga Bhasma
- Neel mani (neelam) Bhasma
- Neelanjana Bhasma
- Parwal Bhasma
- Parad Bhasma
- Piroja Bhasma
- Peetal Bhasma
- Pukhraj Bhasma
- Madhu mandur Bhasma
- Mandoor Mashik Bhasma
- Mala Bhasma
- Manikya Bhasma
- Rajavart Bhasma
- Bang (Vanga) Bhasma
- Vart Loha Bhasma
- Varatika Bhasma
- Vaikranta Bhasma
- Vaidoor Bhasma
- Shambuk Bhasma
- Sphatika Bhasma (Shubhra Bhasma)
- Sangeyasab Bhasma
- Swarna Makshik Bhasma
- Swastik Mani Bhasma
- Hartal Bhasma
- Harital Godanti Bhasma
There are other types of bhasma used in Ayurveda. The above list is an example of bhasma used for the treatment of the various diseases.
I am regular reader of your website, please continue providing more information on ayurvedic medicines and all these bhasma listed in this article, as you did for Rajat bhasm and swarn bhasm. This information is highly beneficial in ayurvedic practice. You have diverted my mind to ayurveda again. I am BAMS and doing job in allopathic hospital.
I am regular reader of your website, please continue adding more information on bhasma. Now I have started ayurvedic private practice along with the job as part time. You are helping in my ayurvedic practice. Thank you very much.
Dear yatan, I am trying my best to provide a valuable information and building content for this website. As I am also doctor, so there is no spare time. But I am writing as a part of my hobby. I will continue helping future ayurveda aspirants and doctors.
Which Bhasma is beneficial for Night Fall (Swapnadosh)?
Tribhanga Bhasma (along with Chandraprabha vati) is useful in night fall.
i want best treatment option for facial hairs..
permanent hair removal…
Hormonal imbalance is responsible for these problems, so you may require treatment for hormonal imbalance to get rid of facial hair permanently. Laser may also help for this.
read somewhere about ” sankh chura hartal mansil”..
is that effective??
Shankh Bhasma or shankh churna (powder) along with hartal or mansil can help removing facial hairs, but we also found this is not a permanent solution. However, it can decrease the hair growth period, but it is not a permanent hair remover. Your facial hairs will grow after three to four months.
Furthermore, it also has several side effects. It can cause red spots, burning sensation, severe itching, etc. in some people with sensitive skin. I would not like to recommend this therapy without supervision of ayurvedic doctor.
thank you so much…
Laser is best option for facial hairs.
actually sir laser is very costly …can’t afford….
sir with this sankh powder hartal nd mansil hair will shed off or what and in how many days….
Yes, it works and removes facial hairs. You may need to apply this mixture paste for at least seven days. Results vary person to person, but it would not take more than 7 days for removing hairs.
thank you so much sir…
and my last question is with this mixture hairs will fall off after seven days or we need to do waxing..
Hairs will fall off after each application, so you will not require waxing etc.
thank you so much sir
Sir, today first time I read your website about bhasma, which bhasma is better for premature ejaculation. Please let me know soon. Thank you.
Actually, each bhasma has many functions. Banga bhasma with Abhrak bhasma and mukta pishti is best for premature ejaculation. These are also safer than commonly used bhasma for men’s health, which include naga bhasma, tribanga bhasma etc. We suggest selecting safer remedies.
1. Can Suvarna Bhasm help in repairing autistic child’s brain (7 yrs)?
2. Does it really regulate the activities of both left and right brain and bring a balance?
3. Can it reduce or remove toxins like lead from the body and remove sensory issues?
4. Can it also help in regaining back verbal speech?
5. If so, what is the ideal dosage and with what should it be given?
I will be grateful if you could respond to my queries.
1. Swarna (gold) Bhasma has anti-inflammatory effects on the central nervous system. It may helps repairing brain lesions. Exactly, we cannot say anything about inflammatory condition in autistic brain, but some research studies have suggested the role of inflammation produced by microglia (immune cells or scavengers in the brain).
Swarna bhasma can help here for sure by reducing inflammation and decreasing effects of microglia due to its immuno-modulatory effects. I am not sure how much it would help child with autistic brain, but it is worth to try.
2. Swarna bhasma improves brain functions, learning skills and cognitive functions. According to ayurveda, it brings balance among three humors and two mind humors. In ayurveda, humors are subtle things, which include everything present in the body. From this, we can understand Swarna bhasma can regulate the activities of both left and right brain.
3. Yes, Swarna bhasma removes all types of toxins including microbes, foreign particles etc. However, Yashad (Zinc) Bhasma is a more potent antagonist particular against lead.
4. Specially, Swarna Prashana is recommended for improving intelligence, cognitive, communication or language milestones, etc. Therefore, we can assume that Swarna bhasma may help improving verbal speech.
5. The ideal dosage would be 5 mg two times a day and it should be given with honey 1 part by weight + ghee 2 parts by weight. (Example: 5 mg Swarna Bhasma + 1 gram honey + 2 grams ghee.)
Sir, is it possible to use Shankh bhasma and sesame oil paste for facial hair removal?
Yes, we can use Shankh Bhasma mixing with either sesame oil or milk cream for removing facial hair. Its effects will take time, but it is usually safer than Hartal bhasma application on face.
1. How much time it may take for removing facial hair using Shankh bhasma and sesame oil or milk?
2. For how many minutes one has to keep this paste in the face every day.
1. It may take 4 to 8 weeks.
2. Paste should become dry completely before you remove it from the face. It may take 15 to 30 minutes. If you are using oil or cream as medium for making the paste, then it may not seem to become dry within 30 minutes, so it should be removed after 30 minutes.
In some people with sensitive skin, this application results in cracks, cuts or redness if kept for more than 5 minutes (although it is rare, but it is reported in many cases.). So test the skin before trying this application.
Plz write me how Shankh bhasma and Tamra bhasma is useful in treating HIV.
Sir does taking safi only helps to get rid of pimples and purifies blood or it also makes complexion fair?
Safi is effective for pimples, but not in all cases. We have already scheduled to post review article about Safi (blood purifier) on coming Thursday. You will get in-depth answer of your question in that article.
Comment…sir, let me know the role of parad bhasma in treating lung cancer. Which other bhasma is useful in the treatment and what should be their doses and duration.
Sir, I applied Shankh bhasma with Hartal and it has caused red rashes, cracks and burns on my face. So what should I do? Should I stop using it? I have facial hair.
Yes, you should stop using this combination. It is not suitable for sensitive skin. Applying coconut oil can help healing red rashes, cracks and burns caused by this combination.
Can I treat syphilis by bhasma?
Bhasma may not alone treat syphilis. Some other medicines may also require.
Can Bhasma treat Azoospermia (Nil Sperm)?
Alone Bhasma may not help in Azoospermia (Nil Sperm). Success rate in cases of Azoospermia is also very low.
Can disc bulge reverse by bhasma or any other medicine?
Sir, what is the use of Sambuk Bhasma?
Sambuk Bhasma has similar uses as Shankh Bhasma, but it is more beneficial in irritable bowel syndrome and ulcers. It is used in diseases – IBS, Diarrhea, Malaria, peptic ulcer, and urticaria. It is also very useful in ulcerative colitis. It has ulcer healing properties, which helps treating ulcers in the intestine.
Sir, what should I take for IBS?
Sir I want to know about the overall elemental content of Bhasma.
We are updating articles on Bhasma for elemental content. You have to browse individual article on Bhasma to get information of elemental content of each bhasma.
Hi, Good afternoon I am Semanjalam Devado from Malaysia. I would like to ask u some question on the Swarna Bhasma
1. Will u deliver it to Malaysia?
2. How long will it take to prepare?
3. I would like it to be in a vegetarian capsule at 25mg percapsule?
4. What is minimum order?
What is mensil? And where will I get it?
Sir my mother is suffering from triple negative metastatic breast cancer. Physically she is fine from day one of chemotherapy to still day. Started chemo 28/04/2017-22 /05/2018…. Still she is taking oral chemotherapy… capecitabine. Pls advise me what to given them for avoid chemo side effects.
Heerak Bhasma 100 mg + Swarna Bhasma 1000 mg + Raupya Bhasma 1000 mg + Mukta Pishti 4000 mg
Above mixture should be divided into 20 small sachets and should be given for supportive treatment in cancer and preventing side effects of chemotherapy. Please consult ayurvedic physician for more detail.
Is there Barasingha bhasma available? What are uses and actions of it?
Barasingha bhasma is a synonym for Shringa Bhasma. You can read its uses and medicinal properties here: Shringa Bhasma
Tuhade reply lai dhanvaad
Ik hor dsseo g mere mammi dadi nu HCV hoea c ilaaj krva lia
Hun liver te intestine nu tkra krn lai koi ilaaj dsso g
Hun pate di soj ja intestine di infection ho jandi aa g
Kirpa krke dsseo g tuhadi mehrbani hovegi g
Arogyavardhini Vati should be beneficial.