Bio Oil – Product Information & Review
Bio oil is a skincare product used to treat scars & stretch marks. It prevents skin aging and nourishes the dehydrated skin.
Bio oil is reported beneficial in stretch marks, aging skin, scars and uneven skin tone. If your skin becomes dehydrated and dry, it is also good for your skin. Some women have used Bio Oil during their pregnancy and found beneficial effects in reducing pregnancy stretch marks.
- 1 Bio Oil Facts
- 2 Ingredients of Bio Oil (2)
- 3 Uses & Details of Bio Oil
- 4 Benefits of Bio Oil
- 5 Safety & Efficacy of Bio Oil
- 6 Warnings & Side effects
- 7 Disclaimer
- 8 References
Bio Oil Facts
- Bio oil has won many awards for skincare excellence.
- It becomes number one skincare product for stretch marks and scars.
- It was first launched in 2002.
- It contains PurCellin Oil.
Bio oil contains natural ingredients from which some are herbal and botanical derivatives and others are mineral oils. PurCellin Oil is a key ingredient in bio oil, which is actually a delivery system. It is added in the bio oil to enhance absorption of active ingredients of Bio oil. Moreover, it reduces thickness of oil base and helps in fast absorption of the bio oil. (1)
Ingredients of Bio Oil (2)
The oil-based formulation of Bio oil contains some vitamins and botanical extracts. Its key ingredient is PurCellin Oil™.
PurCellin Oil™ helps to make the bio oil non-greasy, light and easily absorbable.
What is PurCellin Oil?
Purcellin oil is trademark names for the oil prepared from preen gland oil of ducks.
PurCellin oil is manmade or synthetic oil made from uropygial gland oil of ducks. Uropygial gland is also informally known as preen gland that develops in many water birds such as ducks.
The ingredient list is given underneath:
Botanical ingredients of Bio Oil
- Calendula Oil (Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract)
- Chamomile Oil (Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil)
- Lavender Oil (Lavandula Angustifolia Oil)
- Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil)
Vitamins in Bio Oil
- Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate)
- Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate)
Oil Base of Bio Oil
- Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate
- Glycine Soja Oil
- Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil
- Isopropyl Myristate
- Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil)
- Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone
- Benzyl Salicylate
- Amyl Cinnamal
- Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde
Orange: CI 26100 (Red 17)
Uses & Details of Bio Oil
Bio oil is a skincare natural product that improves the skin texture by reducing scars marks, stretch marks and blemishes. It is highly effective natural skincare product used in acne scar, dark circles and dry and dehydrated skin.
Bio oil for scars
Scars are marks left usually on the skin resulted by the healing process of the injured tissue. Scars are formed due the collagen production at the wound site. They are generally permanent marks on the skin after the healing of the injury. However, there is no cure for the scar marks in medicines and any skincare therapy cannot cause complete disappearance of the scar marks, but the bio oil improves the scars mark appearance and fades it. Thus, scars become indistinguishable from the skin. However, they may also present on the skin, as bio oil is incapable to polish off them entirely. Nevertheless, the bio oil does the task easily and helps in reducing all types of scars.
How to use bio oil on scars
Apply in circular motion on the scar and area surrounding the scar twice a day for at least 3 months.
Depending on the age of the scars, you may have to use the bio oil for more than 3 months to get the desired results.
Avoid applying on broken skin areas.
Bio oil for stretch marks
Stretch marks appear in our body as our body skin loosens. They make the skin look so ugly and messy. They generally appear in the obese people. They also appear in pregnancy due to enlargement of the uterus.
Bio oil will make them reduce to large extent and helps in keeping your skin look beautiful.
Bio oil for acne scars
Acne scars occur when acne disappeared or if you have scratched the skin or bump off the acne. As time passes, they undergo various changes but some scars remain permanent on the skin. Bio oil is particularly formulated to improve the appearance of these scars.
Bio oil in pregnancy
Pregnancy stretch marks occur mainly during pregnancy and keeping those marks on our body lifelong is miserable! Every woman would wish to make it vanish along the pregnancy period. Bio oil greatly aids in improving the appearance of the stretch marks and reduces the development of new marks.
Bio oil for dry & dehydrated skin
Several things make the skin dry and dehydrated. Every little change in our day-to-day life affects of skin texture. Change in diet and climatic conditions will have great effect on our skin tone.
The major causes of making our skin dry and dehydrated are:
- Bathing often
- Cleansing with harsh soaps
- Excessive perspiration
- Exposure to sun and wind
- Making use of dryer
- Staying in air-conditioned room for long duration
- Poor diet
- Inadequate water consumption
Bio oil has all the ingredients necessary to hydrate the skin and to treat dehydrated and dry skin. It moisturizes the skin and improves the skin texture.
Benefits of Bio Oil
- People with sensitive skin can use the bio oil because it is hypoallergenic.
- It helps to moisturize the skin and enhance skin tone.
- People with dry skin can
- Bio oil can help people with dry skin because it is oil based product and helps to hydrate and nourish the skin tissue.
- It can help to soothe the skin after sun exposure.
- You can also add a little amount of the bio oil into your bathtub for general hydration purposes.
- Some people have reported that Bio Oil makes skin soft and increases skin luster.
- It prevents skin damage and skin aging.
- Bio oil does not stain cloths and have good absorption.
- Bio oil reduces scar marks caused due to various reasons and conditions.
Duration of Use
Generally, for healing purposes and for best results, bio oil should be used twice a day for at least three months.
*Current Good Manufacturing Practice
According to the company website, the manufacturing of the bio oil is according to the rules and regulation of current Good Manufacturing Practice as prescribed by the WHO (World Health Organization).
*Key Points about manufacturing
According to the company official website:
- All ingredients are checked and tested for microbial contamination and adulteration, according to the company.
- Each batch is test in laboratory and sample of each batch are kept and retained for a period of five years.
- Packaging of Bio oil is recyclable.
There are no harmful emissions are produced from bio oil. During production, no wastewater or hazardous generates.
All this information is provided by official website of Bio Oil. We have not verified this information with other sources.
Safety & Efficacy of Bio Oil
The safety profile is tested according to the EU Cosmetic Regulation. Bio oil use is considered safe for pregnant women as well.
Bio Oil results & Efficacy
According to the use and duration of the scar and stretch marks, the result of bio oil varies from person to person.
The results of bio oil can also vary from individual to individual. Generally, according to most of reviews on bio oil suggest that it is effective in most of cases, but it takes time to show results, so person need to use the bio oil for a long period.
Questions & Answers about Bio Oil
Can I use bio oil on face?
Yes, you can use the bio oil on the face for acne scars, blemishes and uneven skin.
Is it safe if used in pregnancy?
Yes, you can use the bio oil in pregnancy. It is generally safe to use if you are not allergic to any of its ingredients. It is an external application, which may not reach to blood. Thus, it may not pass over the placental blood barrier. However, these are general interpretation and facts are not established through the research.
Warnings & Side effects
Bio Oil contains mineral oil (paraffin). Although, there are no major side effects of paraffin, but some people may be sensitive to this ingredient. People with highly sensitive skin may experience rash after the use of paraffin or mineral oil. [3, 4, 5]
Bio oil is not FDA approved for its claims made, so buyers should also be aware of this thing. 
Bio oil with its unique blend of natural plant oil and vitamins has been clinically proven that prevents skin from various kind of damage due to scars, stretch marks, aging, dry and dehydrated skin and uneven skin tone.
Please Read Here – Product Information Disclaimer
- Official website of Bio Oil
- Ingredients Source
- Paraffin Side effects
- Dangers of mineral oil
- Genotoxicity studies with mineral oils