Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension
Diet is major factor that plays an important role in maintenance of health and also in fast recovery from any disease. We cannot ignore diet and food items that we eat for health or in diseases. Dash or Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension is designed to control hypertension in hypertensive patients and also good opinion to prevent hypertension in healthy individuals.
Table of Contents
What is DASH?
DASH is an eating plan to prevent and stop high blood pressure and diseases caused by hypertension. It is developed by National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health of U. S. Department of health and human services.
DASH eating plan tips
- Reduce salt intake (Sodium reduction in diet). Take low sodium in diet and increase intake of potassium in food
- 2300 mg per day (Plan -1) – recommended for pre-hypertensive person
- 1500 mg per day (Plan – 2) – recommended for hypertensive person
- Emphasis is given to eat healthy food items such as fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce intake of unhealthy food rich in fat and cholesterol e.g. junk food or food that rich in fatty content.
- Make necessary schedule for moderate physical activity or exercise most of days a week. Do physical exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Reduce weight if you are overweight and then maintain appropriate weight of body.
- Reduce alcohol intake.
- Do not miss your dose of hypertensive medicine.
What is included in DASH plan?
- Low fat milk or other milk products: buttermilk, low fat milk and yogurt should be taken.
- Fruits and vegetables: melons, mangoes, Broccoli, grapefruit, peaches, tangerines, dates, sweet potatoes, bananas, Apples, peas, strawberries, pineapples and raisins should be taken.
- Whole grain products: Whole wheat products, rolls, wheat pasta, other cereals, brown rice and unsalted oats or oatmeal and unsalted popcorn can be included in diet.
- Oils: Olive oil, corn oil, canola oil and safflower oil should be used in cooking.
- Nuts: split peas, Almonds, peanuts, lentils, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, kidney beans, walnuts and peanut butter can be included in diet.
Benefits of DASH eating plan
DASH eating plan has great benefits in lowering high blood pressure and LDL (Low density lipoproteins) in the blood. Therefore, it decreases risks of developing heart diseases and also helps to maintain a healthy weight.