The amount that needs to take for getting therapeutic benefits is called dosage. It represents the quantity of medicine that the patient should take. It can be in numbers, grams or ml. For example,
- For Vati and Gutika (tablets), the dosage is recommended in numbers. For example, Take 1 tablet or 2 tablets.
- For Avaleha or Lehyam, the dosage is recommended in grams or teaspoons. For example, take 5 grams or 1 teaspoon.
- For liquids, the dosage is advised in ml. For example, take 15 ml to 30 ml for Asava an Arista or take 5 ml of any syrup.
In ayurvedic classical texts, the dosage is also recommended as “Low Normal Dosage to High Normal Dosage”. It is the possible range of dosage, which your doctor can prescribe. This range is usually given for adult patients.
For example, Jatamansi powder dosage ranges from 1000 to 3000 mg. 1000 mg is its low normal dosage and 3000 mg is its high normal dosage. Your doctor will decide the most appropriate dosage for you according to your health condition, tolerability, and Dosha analysis.
General Dosage of Ayurvedic Medicines
Although, the dosage can vary for each formulation or medicine. Everything has exceptions. Here is a general dosage recommended in ayurveda.
Liquid Medicine Dosage
|Medicine Category||Normal Dosage|
|Decoction (Kashayam) – Readymade||5 – 15 ml + 20 – 60 ml water|
|Decoction (Kashayam) – Homemade||96 ml|
|Fermented Formulations – Asava & Arishta||15 – 30 ml + 30 – 60 ml water|
|Herbal Distillate – Ark||24 – 60 ml|
|Herbal Water||60 – 120 ml|
|Medicated Ghee – Ghrita||6 – 12 ml (1 to 2 teaspoons)|
|Medicated Oils – Thailam||3 – 6 ml (1/2 to 1 teaspoon)|
|Squash – Sharbat||24 to 48 ml|
Herbal Powder (Churna) Dosage
|Very Hot Herbs||125 – 500 mg|
|Moderately Hot Herbs||500 – 1000 mg|
|Mildly Hot and Cooling Herbs||1 – 3 grams|
|Strengthening Herbs||3 – 6 grams|
Herbomineral Formulation Dosage
|Bhasma||65 – 250 mg|
|Pishti||125 – 500 mg|
|Ras Rasayana – Herbal Mineral Medicine||65 – 250 mg (½ tablet – 2 tablets)|
|Kupipakwa Rasayana||65 – 125 mg|
|Lauh & Mandoor||125 to 250 mg|
Polyherbal Tablets’ Dosage
|Guggulu||500 mg – 1000 mg (2 – 4 tablets)|
|Vati & Gutika – Made of Herbs||250 – 500 mg (1 to 2 tablets)|
Herbal Jam and Marmalade Dosage
|Lehyam (Avaleha) – Hot Potency||2 – 6 grams|
|Lehyam (Avaleha)||12 – 24 grams|
|Murabba (Marmalade)||1 to 2 pieces|
|Kshar (क्षार)||125 – 1000 mg|
- Generally, ayurvedic frequency of taking medicine is twice daily.
- Above dosage is the most appropriate dosage for adult patients.
- Your doctor can further decide the dosage for children based on age, body weight, strength, and other health conditions. Also Read:
Warning: The dosage described above is not an accurate dosage for each formulation. This dosage may be applicable to most of the medicines, but it has several exceptions. Please read the individual article for each medicine to know the accurate dosage.