Gajar (Carrot) ka murabba recipe & Health Benefits
GAJAR KA MURABBA (also called carrot murabba) is an Unani and ayurvedic medicine and Indian recipe used as a eye tonic and for the treatment of eye diseases and vision problems. It is also nutritious sweet preserve that is also beneficial for general debility, weakness, fatigue and mental stress.
GAJAR KA MURABBA is prepared from the orange crunchy carrots, which are a super food and rich in Vitamin A. It offers a plethora of health benefits owing to which it is used for producing variety of things.
Carrot murabba, prepared from carrot pulp offers beautiful skin to reverse aging process. Cancer prevention, clearer vision, anti-aging properties are some of the amazing benefits offered by super food, carrot. The dessert, carrot murabba, prepared from carrot is incredibly healthy and is a sweet preservative. Let us have a look at how to make carrot murabba and its health benefits.
GAJAR (carrot) KA MURABBA recipe
|Cardamom seeds||3 grams|
|Saffron strands||50 to 100|
Washing & cleaning
- Take one kg carrots and wash them thoroughly to remove any kind of dirt.
- Now, peel carrot’s outer layer and again wash with warm water.
- Clean with cotton cloths to absorb water/moisture and then keep them to dry.
Slicing the carrots
After drying the carrots, slice the carrots into about one inch small pieces. Do, take out inner yellow portion if you discover.
- Take a pan and boil water in it. Water quantity must be enough to dip carrots in it.
- Boil the carrot slices in water for 2-3 minutes or until they become soft and tender.
- Turn off the flame and cover the pan.
- Leave carrots for 5 minutes in hot water.
- Now, take out carrots from water. Take a strainer and dry the carrots.
- Once dry, break the carrots with fork.
Put carrots in steel pan. Add sugar in it. Leave overnight.
Tip: It is important to leave the carrot overnight for the juice comes out then.
Preparing sugar syrup
Now put the pan over the stove and form sugar syrup of one thread consistency. Turn off the flame and add lemon juice once the carrot is cool.
Now, sprinkle additives like cardamom seeds, saffron strands and other additives of your choice. You can add blanched almonds, cashews, white pepper, black pepper and cloves as additives to enhance the taste of carrot murabba.
Dosage of carrot murabba = 5 grams to 10 grams
Some people are eating it more than 50 grams a day, but in our suggestion, its dosage should not exceed from 20 grams a day due to high content of direct sugar or sugar syrup.
Health Benefits of Gajar (Carrot) Murabba
Gajar (Carrot) ka Murabba is beneficial for eyes. It is rich in vitamin A, which can help in eye and skin diseases. It is eye tonic and cardiac stimulant.
Carrot murabba and vision
Carrots are good food for improving eyesight. Carrot contains beta-carotene, which converts into Vitamin A while reaching liver. Further, Vitamin A converts into rhodopsin, which is a purple pigment in the retina crucial for night vision.
Beta-carotene protects one from senile cataracts and macular degeneration. If you consume carrot murabba on a regular basis, you would have 40% less chances of developing macular degeneration and cataract.
Carrot murabba and cancer
Carrot murabba is incredibly beneficial when it comes to cancer prevention. Carrot murabba reduces the risk of developing lung cancer, colon cancer and breast cancer. It has anti-cancer component FALCARINOL and FALCARINDIOL that kills cancer cells. The components are the natural pesticides prepared by carrot, which kills harmful cells.
Carrot murabba and aging
Adequate consumption of carrot murabba can slow down the aging process. Carrot has higher level of beta-carotene, which acts as the antioxidant to cellular damage done by body through metabolism.
Skin and gajar ka murabba
Carrot murabba is awesome for skin. It is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A that acts as a protective shield for the skin to prevent it from sun damage. Vitamin A deficiency causes skin, hair and nails dryness. You can protect yourself from premature aging signs such as wrinkles, dry skin, pigmentation, blemishes, acne and uneven skin tone.
Carrot murabba prevents teeth & gums diseases
With the consumption of carrot murabba, you can clean your mouth and teeth. Carrot murabba triggers a lot of saliva, the alkaline to balance out acid formation and cavity forming bacteria. Carrot minerals prevent tooth damage.
Since carrot murabba is rich in Carotenoids, it is associated with lower risk of heart disease. Carrot is the rich source of alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and LUTEIN. With its adequate consumption, you can reduce the cholesterol level for the soluble fibers binds well with bile acids.
Other benefits of carrot murabba
- Carrot murabba prevents the body from infections, as it is the source of FALCARINOL and other such compounds.
- With the aid of carrot murabba, you can flush out toxins from liver. It reduces liver fat and bile. Its fibrous content can help in cleaning out colon and hastens the process of waste removal.
- You have lesser chances of having stroke if you consume carrot murabba.
- One can reduce bilirubin levels and manage jaundice with carrot murabba.
- It acts as a great tonic for chest pains.
- It can help cure insomnia, physical weaknesses, fatigue, skin problems, and tuberculosis.
- Consumption of carrot murabba inhibits delayed menses, and stomach cramps.
- For weight gain, consume murabba daily.
- It is an effective treatment for weak hearts.
- You can relieve indigestion with carrot murabba.
- Carrot murabba is an excellent health supplement that boosts up the energy level.
- It boosts the level of calcium in the body to keep the bones strong.
Caution & Side Effects
Carrot murabba may cause allergic reactions, which are characterized by symptoms such as skin rashes, itching and inflammation.
Carrots are rich source of potassium, so it can raise potassium level in the body in kidney diseases. Therefore, you should not take it if you suffer from chronic renal failure with raised potassium level.
Diabetic patients have to be cautious before consuming sugar rich murabba.
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
Carrot murabba if consumed during pregnancy may improve the quality of milk and protects the mother from septicemia. It prevents calcium deficiency. It can rid you from morning sickness. However, it is a nutritious sweet dessert, but it is also rich in direct sugar content and sugar syrup. Therefore, the occasional use of carrot murabba is POSSIBLY SAFE, but you should AVOID its regular use.
Murabba also enhances the milk production if consumed after drinking cow’s milk. Vitamin A is very essential for the lactating mother and fetus.
People suffering from diabetes should avoid carrot murabba.
Over consumption of carrot murabba may cause CAROTENEMIA or increase in the carotene content in the body leading to yellow or orange skin.
It might also cause gastrointestinal illness. Consumption of too much of carrot murabba can lead to disturbance in the blood sugar level.
If you are on gastrointestinal medication or using medicines to cure diabetes, be careful. It may disturb the sugar level of the blood and may make the achievement of healthy blood sugar level very difficult. If you suffer from diabetes, consult your doctor before consuming carrot murabba. It can even interact with kidney disease medications.