Gandha Thailam is ayurvedic medicated oil taken orally for strengthening bones and joints. It speeds up recovery from bone fractures and restores stability of the bones. It is also beneficial in the treatment of arthritic disorders, especially osteoarthritis. It supports the bones in osteopenia and osteoporosis and prevents further bone loss and helps to restore the natural bone mineral density (along with other ayurvedic medicines).
- 1 Ingredients (Composition)
- 2 Pharmacological Actions
- 3 Therapeutic Indications
- 4 Benefits & Medicinal Uses
- 5 Dosage & Administration
- 6 Safety Profile
Gandha Thailam is prepared with following ingredients with extensive procedure.
- Til Beej (Sesame seeds) – Sesamum Indicum
- Cow’s Milk
- Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) – Licorice – Glycyrrhiza Glabra
- Valak (Iruvale) – Coleus Vettiveroides
- Vetiver (Ushira or Khas) – Vetiveria Zizanioides
- Manjistha – Rubia Cordifolia
- Mishi – Indian Dill – Anethum Sowa
- Mustak (Nut Grass) – Cyperus Rotundus
- Kushta (Indian Costus Root) – Saussurea Lappa
- Bala – Sida Cordifolia
- Atibala – Abutilon Indicum
- Agaru (Agarwood) – Aquilaria Agallocha
- Kesar (Saffron) – Crocus Sativus
- Safed Chandan (White Sandalwood) – Santalum Album
- Sariva – Hemidesmus Indicus
- Sarala (Chir Pine) – Pinus Roxburghii
- Raal (Sarja Rasa) – Vateria Indica Resin
- Devdaru (Deodar Cedar or Himalayan Cedar) – Cedrus Deodara
- Padmakadi Gana
- Eladi Gana
- Shaileyam – Parmelia Perlata
- Rasna – Pluchea Lanceolata
- Shalaparni – Desmodium Gangeticum
- Lodhra – Symplocos Racemosa
- Kasheruk – Scirpus Grossus
- Tejpata (Indian Bay Leaf) – Cinnamomum Tamala
- Durva (Bermuda grass) – Cynodon Dactylon
Gandha Thailam has bone strengthening actions and provides stability to the bones. Its action mainly VATA and PITTA conditions of the bones including bone fractures, osteopenia, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Bone tonic
Gandha Thailam is VATA SHAMAK and PITTA SHAMAK according to ayurveda. Bones are an important location of VATA and aggravation of VATA causes bone disorders including osteopenia and osteoporosis. It pacifies VATA and PITTA and restores the natural strength and density of the bones. In bone fractures, it speeds up healing and recovery.
- Bone Fractures
- Joint Dislocation
- Arthritic disorders, especially osteoarthritis
Benefits & Medicinal Uses
Gandha Thailam speeds up the healing process of bone fracture. It reduces recovery time by a half, according to our observation in some patients. However, a proper clinical study should be conducted on its further benefits. As it pacifies VATA and PITTA, so it can helps in all conditions of bones, joints and muscles that results in wear and tear of the tissue. It can be taken orally, nasal instillation and used as massage oil.
Gandha Thailam in dosage 10 drops twice or thrice daily should be taken to hasten the healing process. Along with it, Lakshadi Guggul should also be taken with milk for additional nutritional support for the bones. Gandha Thailam helps to improve the bone strength and rigidity.
Similarly, as it is used for healing of fractured bones, it is also helpful in joint dislocation. It provides strength to the joint and helps relieving pain.
Osteopenia & Osteoporosis
According to ayurveda, the aggravated VATA along with vitiated PITTA causes loss of the mass. Same principles applied to the bones in osteopenia and osteoporosis. Gandha Thailam is a specific medicine acting on the bones and restoring the natural bone mass. It provides strength and prevents bone fractures due to osteoporosis. However, it gives best results when it is used along with following combination of ayurvedic remedies.
|Godanti Bhasma or Mukta Shukti Pishti||250 mg|
|Kukkutandatvak Bhasma||250 mg|
|Abhrak Bhasma||50 mg|
|Yashad Bhasma||50 mg|
|Hadjod – Cissus Quadrangularis||1000 mg|
|Along with Gandha Thailam, this mixture provides significantly relief in osteopenia and osteoporosis. It increases bone mineral density.|
Degenerative Disk Disease
Gandha Thailam is an excellent ayurvedic medicine for patients with degenerative disk disease, herniated disk, prolapsed disk etc. It helps in all spine disorders and reduces symptoms like radiating pain, numbness, and weakness of the limbs.
Dosage & Administration
|The general dosage of Gandha Thailam (Gandha Oil) is as follows.|
|Children||5 drops *|
|Adults||10 drops *|
|Maximum Possible Dosage||30 drops Per Day (in divided doses) **|
|* Twice a day with appropriate adjuvant|
|Best Time to Take: After Food, Before Meal, In Between Food|
|** The maximum dosage is a general estimate. There is not established maximum dosage for the Gandha Thailam. Some doctors use it in high dosage up to 5 ml twice a day for maximum benefits and quick result in pain relief. In this dosage, it acts as potent analgesic and gives relief from moderate to severe bone pain and joint pain.|
Gandha Thailam is considerably safe in dosage less than 30 drops per day.
There are no side effects reported with the general dosage of Gandha Thailam. Indigestion may occur due to higher dosage (i.e. more than 5 ml per day) in some rare patients.