Home Remedies for Heartburn
Heartburn is a condition often experienced by adults. It is a condition where an individual sense burning sensation under the breastbone, which later inches up towards the throat. This is, in fact, a symptom rather than being called as a disease. It is caused due to acid reflux, a condition that occurs when the lower part of oesophageal sphincter relaxes when it actually should not do so.
As a result, the acid from the stomach passes back to the oesophagus and it causes the sensation of heartburn. Burning sensation in the throat is a common symptom you could sense when you are suffering from heartburn. There are several medications, which help treat heartburn. However, home remedies are at your rescue.
Table of Contents
Following these home remedies can help treat heartburn caused due to acid reflux.
Aloe Vera, a cactus plant plays an effective role in soothing burns. It helps treat sunburns, but the less known fact is that aloe Vera juice helps in treating heartburn. It also helps soothe inflammation. Whenever, you are having a burning sensation in your tummy, simply sip a glass of aloe Vera juice.
How to Use
- Break off few Aloe Vera leaves and peels away their hard surface.
- Peel the light yellow colored layer just beneath the hard surface (rind) of the aloe Vera stem.
- Immediately put this clear aloe gel in the blender and add a cup of your favorite citrus juice.
- Blend till smooth. Chill it for few hours.
Drink at least half cup of aloe juice before having your meals as it can help treat acid reflux.
Start drinking smaller doses of aloe juice and slightly increase the intake. One ounce of aloe Vera juice is recommended for treating heartburn. You can take around 2-3 ounces of aloe Vera juice on an average every day.
- Safe Aloe Vera Juice Dosage: One ounce (about 30 ml)
- Maximum Dosage: 2 to 3 ounces (about 90 ml)
Aloe Juice has laxative properties. Hence, people suffering from diarrhea must avoid it.
Drinking a cup of chamomile tea for every half an hour before you go to sleep can help treat inflamed stomach. It helps in maintaining the acidity levels in your stomach. Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties as well and helps treat an inflamed tummy. It helps in reducing the symptoms that might initiate heartburn and can let you sleep well throughout the night.
How to Use
- Boil a cup of water and then add a tsp. of dried chamomile petals.
- Simmer for a minute. Put off the flame and let the petals soak in the water for a few minutes.
- Strain this solution and add a little honey or lemon for an added taste.
Drink a cup of chamomile tea around four times a day.
People having allergies to feverfew, yarrow etc. should not consume this tea. Chamomile tea might interfere with other medications. Hence, consult your GP to know the recommended dose that your body can tolerate.
Eating three or four almonds after every meal or after having any snack can help heal heartburn. Munching few almonds after ingesting some food can help neutralize gastric juices inside the stomach thereby relieving or sometimes preventing the risks of heartburn.
How to Use
- Chew raw almonds as they help in neutralizing juices in the stomach to relieve and prevent heartburn.
- It would be better if you can eat soaked almonds.
Eat around three or four almonds after having every meal.
Eating more almonds that are not soaked might trigger heartburn and tension headaches, which might even, lead to a migraine as well.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It seems like a counterintuitive to gulp more acid right away, when you are already having a burning sensation in your stomach. You need to drink some unfiltered, raw and pure Apple Cider Vinegar to soothe down the burning sensation inside the stomach. ACV is alkaline in nature and helps neutralize acidity besides improving digestion.
How to Use
- Combine 3 tsp. of ACV in 8 ounces (about 240 ml) of water.
- Consume it before having a meal and before going to sleep.
- Prefer using raw unfiltered pure ACV.
Drink the apple cider vinegar concoction around two or three times every day. Make sure you drink this solution before every meal for best results.
- Safe ACV Juice Dosage: One cup of ACV concoction
- Maximum Dosage: Three cups of ACV concoction
If you cannot tolerate this concoction, it is better to stay away from it. Do not take an overdose of this concoction. People taking any medications need to talk to the doctor before using ACV for treating heartburn.
A teaspoon full of baking soda can help cool down the burning sensation caused due to acid reflux. Being a base substance, sodium bicarbonate can help treat your heartburn problems. It has a pH value greater than seven, which aids in neutralizing the acidity inside the stomach thereby preventing the feeling of heartburn.
How to Use
- Add a tsp. of baking soda to a glass containing around 8 ounces (240 ml) of water.
- Stir it well and consume it. It can instantly cool down the sensation of heartburn.
Drink this baking soda and water solution, whenever you have the sensation of heartburn. However, you must not exceed three 1tsp. doses in a day. You can even take ½ tsp. doses around six times a day, but should not exceed this limit.
- Safe Dosage: ½ tsp. of baking soda in water Two times a day
- Maximum Dosage: ½ tsp. of baking soda in water Five times a day
- Do not follow this remedy continuously for more than a week, as baking soda is rich in salt and might later show side effects such as nausea, gas, often feeling thirsty etc.
- People on a low-sodium diet must avoid following this remedy.
- Serious side effects such as swelling in limbs, frequent urination, difficulty in breathing, weight loss etc. need to be reported to your doctor soon.
- Baking soda might interact with any other medications. So, better talk to your doctor before trying this remedy at home.
Ginger Root Tea
Gingerroot plays an effective role in treating several stomach disorders. Ginger root tea helps in soothing heartburn and symptoms such as nausea. It acts as an acid buffer and helps soothe the muscles lining the walls of the esophagus. Hence, the acid inside the stomach does not get pushed upwards.
How to Use
- In a cup of boiling water, add 1/4 tsp. of a freshly grated pulp of gingerroot.
- Steep few minutes. Drink it warm.
Ginger root tea aids in the production of saliva and helps wash off acid, which is refluxed into the esophagus. Consuming a cup of ginger root tea at least 20 minutes before having any meal can soothe your tummy.
- The reduced dosage helps in heartburn, but the increase dosage of ginger itself can become a cause of heartburn. Therefore, 1/4 tsp. of a freshly grated pulp of gingerroot should be used to make tea.
- Ginger root tea should be taken in higher dosage, as it might hurt a sensitive stomach. Over dosage of ginger root tea might disturb your digestive system and lead to diarrhea, bloating, nausea etc.
- You need to talk to your doctor if you are having GERD or frequently having heartburn sensation inside the stomach.
It helps soothe and coat the throat, intestines, and stomach. It is an excellent source of antioxidants and helps treat bowel conditions. It helps in stimulating the nerve endings present in the gastrointestinal tract, which in turn helps reduce excess acidity and heartburn.
How to Use
- In a pan filled with two cups of water, add two tsp. of powdered bark.
- Steep for few minutes and allow it to cool.
- Consume it thrice a day for best results.
You can use 5 ml tincture of slippery elm thrice every day. It is also available in the form of a supplement. It is suggested to take 400-500 mg three or four times every day for a period of 4 to 6 weeks. Take it along with a glass of water.
It has no dangerous side effects. However, it slows down the absorption of the other herbs or drugs. It is better to consult your doctor before trying this remedy.
Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
Fennel Seeds (Saunf) act as an amazing home remedy in treating heartburn and other digestive problems as well. It is known to have several medicinal benefits. ANETHOLE in fennel seeds helps lessen the gastrointestinal tract spasms.
How to Use
- Chew a half tsp. of fennel seeds after having your meals.
- You can also prepare fennel tea as well by adding 2tbsp. of sliced fennel in boiling water. Steep it for five minutes. Strain the solution and drink it twice a day.
The recommended dosage is around 1 tsp. of tincture thrice every day. You can even take 1/2 teaspoon of liquid extract every day.
- Fennel might cause some common side effects such as nausea, vomiting etc.
- Diabetic people must avoid consuming fennel syrups, as they are loaded with sugar content.
- Even lactating and breastfeeding mothers must avoid taking higher doses of fennel daily.
- Consult your GP before taking fennel supplements.
Mustard is one kind of alkaline food. Hence, it helps treat heartburn. Prefer yellow colored mustard than any other kind. Mustard paste helps in neutralizing the acidity inside the stomach thereby preventing and treating heartburn. You might feel little uneasy when you start having mustard. So, have it slowly. This remedy provides an instant relief from heartburn.
How to Use
- Make a fine paste of mustard.
- Take a half teaspoon of yellow mustard along with a half glass of water.
Suck it little and have at least a half tsp. of mustard paste along with water for best results.
Sucking mustard paste might initially cause a sensation of vomiting and nausea. So, consult your doctor, if this condition persists for a longer time.
Licorice root (Mulethi or Yashtimadhu) helps in soothing heartburn. It protects your stomach from harmful acid by stimulating the release of mucus. Deglycyrrhizinated licorice root, also known as DGL, helps in treating ulcers and heartburn. DGL is available in the form of tablets and can be taken when you sense the feeling of heartburn.
How to Use
- DGL is available as supplements and can be taken only after consulting your GP.
- It is available at any health store and you may get it from any online retailer as well.
- You need to take two tablets and chew them at least 20 minutes before having any meal.
- Let it melt in your mouth as the saliva helps in stimulating the DGL tablets. Take it thrice a day.
You can also take it before bedtime if you are frequently suffering from heartburn during nighttime. Better, choose chewable DGL for best results.
- Pregnant women must avoid taking licorice as it might increase the risks of miscarriage or early delivery.
- People having blood pressure, hormone disorders, heart diseases, kidney diseases, hypertonia etc. must avoid taking licorice.
It contains a kind of mucilage that aids in coating the lining of stomach and esophagus thereby creating a protective barrier against the acid inside the stomach. It contains pectin, cellulose and many other essential nutrients such as zinc, vitamin B-complex, iron etc. Marshmallow root also helps in healing the damage caused by excess production of acid. You can also prepare marshmallow root tea.
How to Use
- It can be taken as a cold infusion. Steep a tbsp. of marshmallow root in two cups of water.
- Leave it overnight. You will be getting a thick liquid that has a sweet and tart taste.
- This concoction can help soothe your heartburn pain. Marshmallow root is also available in the form of supplements.
Marshmallow Root Tea
- For preparing marshmallow root tea, you need to add 5 tsp. of dried marshmallow root in 5 ounces (about 150 ml) of hot water.
- Leave it for an hour and then strain the solution.
- Consume it thrice a day.
Leaves of marshmallow plant can be used to prepare tea, whilst they have less mucilage when compared to its roots.
- Marshmallow root has no dangerous side effects. It is non-toxic, but it might interfere with absorption of nutrients and other drugs. So, better consult your doctor before trying this remedy for heartburn.
- In addition, pregnant women and diabetics need to confirm once about this remedy with your doctor. You need to pre-seek your doctor’s approval before giving marshmallow preparations for your child.