Home Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
You may have read many remedies for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), but you might be confused with them. You might be still struggling for finding the best remedies for treating IBS that really work. Here we will discuss the evidence based home remedies that really work in the management of irritable bowel syndrome. We also share remedial formulations and herbal combinations that help reducing IBS symptoms in this article.
Table of Contents
Irritable bowel syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome, shortly called IBS, is nowadays a common abdominal concern. It is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with no organic underlying cause. It affects the colon and large intestine.
Symptoms of IBS
Irritable bowel syndrome is characterized by following six main symptoms.
- Abdominal Pain
In this article, we will provide remedies according to following types.
- IBS with constipation: If you have this type, then you have experience other symptoms like abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, hard and lumpy stools.
- IBS with diarrhea: If you have this type, you may have symptoms like loose stools or watery stools, abdominal pain, discomfort, frequent bowel movements, urgency to move your bowels etc.
- IBS with alternating diarrhea and constipation: This type will have combined symptoms as in type 1 and type 2.
Everybody has different kind of body type, so remedies can also very according to your specific symptoms. We have specified the condition and symptoms with each remedy. If you are still unable to find best suitable remedy for you, you can leave a comment with your feeling and symptoms below this article and we will provide you best suitable combination for combating this problem. Now, let us discuss about the home remedies for IBS.
Home remedies for IBS
Based on our experience and according to several research studies, following natural home remedies are best for irritable bowel syndrome.
The first step will involve eliminating the foods that make your condition or symptoms worse. Some people may have problem with dairy products and other may have problem with a particular group of foods. For week, make a list of foods that seem to be not suitable for you. The next step involves selecting the suitable remedial combination from the below listed remedies.
General rules for changing eating habits
- Do not eat until you feel hungry, but avoid this rule for your main meals. If you are not feeling appetite during the time of main meal, then you should eat in less quantity in that meal.
- In your every meal, there should be difference of at least 3 hours.
- Do not drink water before meal, but you can drink water 45 minutes before meal. Do take any kind of liquid food thereafter.
- Do not drink water within 2 hours after eating main meals.
- Drinking warm water helps people with IBS. In some cases, people with IBS with diarrhea may initially observe increase in watery stool after adopting this rule, but it will become normal after 2-3 days.
- Select more natural foods and homemade foodstuffs than processed, frozen, and junk foods.
Common Remedies in all types of IBS
Here are some remedies that work in all cases of IBS and reduce almost all symptoms.
|Dried ginger powder||10 grams|
|Black pepper||10 grams|
|Long pepper||10 grams|
|Rock Salt||10 grams|
|Cardamom seeds (green)||10 grams|
You should take each ingredient in equal proportion and mix well.
Dosage: 1/4 tsp. twice a day with warm water after meal
- All symptoms and types of IBS except too hard and dry stool with anal fissure
- IBS with constipation condition: When stool is sticky to toilet and difficult to flush out due to its stickiness or when mucus is present in the stool.
This ginger mix reduces cramps, pain, gas, abdominal distension, bloating, mucus in the stool and loose stools. It is also effective for people if they are constipated, but mucus is present in their stool and stool is sticky.
If you also have problem like acidity, gastritis, ulcer, heartburn and ulcerative colitis, avoid using this mixture.
If you have constipation with anal fissure, too hard and dry stool, do not use this remedy. It will not help.
Psyllium husk mix
|Psyllium husk powder||100 grams|
|Fennel seeds (Saunf)||50 grams|
|Bael fruit (Aegle marmelos)||50 grams|
|Dried ginger powder||10 grams|
|Black Cardamom seeds||10 grams|
Mix all above ingredients in provided ratio and store it in airtight container.
1 tsp. with warm water twice a day before meal
- All symptoms
It is helpful for all symptoms and there is no contraindication for this formulation.
It is not applicable for this remedy. You can use this Psyllium husk mix in all types of IBS.
White pepper mix
|White pepper||10 grams|
|Black cumin||10 grams|
|Rheum emodi/Revand chini (Himalayan rhubarb)*||10 grams|
|Black salt||5 grams|
|Jaggery (crushed to powder)||30 grams|
* In some places, Rheum emodi is not available, so you can skip this remedy from above combination. Other remedies also work very well without it in all types of IBS.
- All symptoms of IBS
- It is highly beneficial for people, which have mixed symptoms.
1/4 tsp. twice or thrice a day 45 minutes before meal with warm water
White pepper mix is a marvelous remedy for all types of IBS and you can safely use it for maximum benefits. It reduces all types of symptoms. After using it for 3 months, you will observe there is no need of taking it further and your all symptoms are disappeared.
You should avoid this remedy if you experience excessive heat sensation in the body and severe burning sensation in the chest or abdomen. However, it may be possibly safe with these mild symptoms and if they do not get worse after using it.
Remedies for IBS with Constipation
The following remedies are beneficial for people with IBS and constipation as its main symptom.
Amla (Indian gooseberry) mix
|Amla (Indian gooseberry) powder||100 grams|
|Fried Harar (terminalia chebula fruits) pulp||100 grams|
|Tamarind seeds||25 grams|
|Fennel seeds||25 grams|
|Cinnamon powder||10 grams|
You should take all ingredients in powder form. Take all ingredients in provided proportion and mix them.
1/2 tsp. twice a day after meal
Amla mix is beneficial for people with IBS and constipation. It removes constipation and alleviates all other associated symptoms such as gas, bloating, cramps and abdominal discomfort.
|Coriander seeds||100 grams|
|Coriander leaves dried||100 grams|
|Red Rose petals dried||100 grams|
|Dried ginger powder||10 grams|
Mix all ingredients and preserve in glass container.
1 tsp. with water twice a day after meal.
Coriander mix is beneficial for people with IBS and constipation. It is also good remedy for acidity, heartburn and ulcer.
|Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia stem) Powder or Giloy Sat||2 grams|
|Fresh Aloe Vera gel||1 grams|
|Peppermint Oil||5 drops|
Mix all ingredients as given above for making giloy mix. Quantity given above is a single recommended dosage. You can eat it twice a day as per severity of constipation.
Giloy mix takes some time to work, but you can see improvement in your symptoms within a week. You should take this remedy for a longer period and for at least 3 to 6 months. It removes constipation and alleviates all other associated symptoms.
If you are allergic to peppermint oil, just avoid adding this ingredient in the mixture.