Home Remedies for Pimples
Pimples or acne is the most common skin condition affecting a large population around the world. The incidence of this disease is high in the adolescents due to the hormonal changes occurring in the body during the pubertal phase. However, pimples usually occur on the face, but they may also appear on the neck, back, and the shoulders.
Pimples are formed because of inflammation of the sebaceous glands in the skin that produce an oily substance called sebum. The glands often become infected, which leads to swelling, pain, redness, and pus formation. The prime cause of pimples is an excess secretion of sebum by these oil glands.
Though acne is not a serious condition and does not affect the health in a major way, it can cause considerable disfigurement and have a detrimental effect on the person’s appearance. Hence, it is important to take steps to reduce pimples and prevent them from reappearing.
Table of Contents
Natural Home Remedies for Pimples
Here are the top 10 home remedies that can help you get rid of pimples in a safe and effective way:
Lemon juice offers a quick way to get rid of pimples. It is rich in vitamin C, which helps rejuvenate the skin and acts as an antioxidant thereby protecting the skin against the damage caused by the free radicals as well as the environmental toxins, dust, and the chemicals in cosmetics. The acidic nature of lemon juice acts as a bleaching agent for the skin and reduces the pigmentation left after a pimple is healed. Lemon juice also helps the eruptions to dry up faster without leaving acne scars.
How to use
- Dip a cotton ball in lemon juice and dab it on the affected part. Wash it off after 5 to 6 hours. It is best to use it just before going to bed.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Apply this mixture on the affected areas and leave it overnight. You can wash it off the next day morning with lukewarm water.
- It is advisable to use fresh lemon juice instead of the bottled juice as it may contain preservatives.
- Make sure the cotton ball is clean to avoid infection.
Local application of lemon juice is not recommended for the people with sensitive skin as it can irritate their skin and worsen the condition.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil offers a natural treatment for treating most skin conditions including pimples, allergies, and eczema. Bacterial infection is the most common cause of pimples. An infection can result in the formation of pus, which leads to the blocking of the ducts of sebaceous glands. Due to this, the oil secreted by the glands cannot come to the skin surface. This leads to a swelling filled with the oily secretions and pus and appears as a pimple.
Tea tree oil can help in preventing this with its strong antibacterial properties. It helps in preventing infections in the sebaceous glands thereby reducing the appearance of acne. It also kills the bacteria and reduces the pus formation.
Additionally, tea tree oil also produces a soothing effect on the skin and thus, reduces the inflammation and redness caused by pimples. It also helps to dry out the blackheads and whiteheads.
How to use
- Dip a clean cotton swab in tea tree oil and dab it on the pimple. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and then, rinse your face with plain water.
- An alternative way of using tea tree oil for pimples is to mix a few drops of this oil in one tablespoonful of aloe vera gel. Apply this mixture on pimples and leave it for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
Taking a steam is a wonderful way to get rid of pimples. The steam helps to open up the skin pores. This helps to reduce the blocks in the ducts of the sebaceous glands and allows you to remove the dirt, oil, and germs trapped in the glands with a gentle cleaning action using a cotton swab. Steam also allows the skin to breathe well thus improving the oxygen supply to its deeper layers. This helps rejuvenate the skin and allows it to appear fresh.
The heat caused by the steam dilates the blood vessels in the skin thereby increasing the blood supply. This ensures an influx of infection-fighting immune cells to the affected site and helps the body to get rid of the bacteria responsible for pimples. Steaming also reduces inflammation of the skin.
How to use
- Fill a large tub or a container with hot water.
- Place your face close to the container, but at a safer distance to avoid spillage of the water on your body and to avoid the steam from causing scalds.
- Keep a distance that just allows the steam to come in contact with your face.
- Take the steam for a few minutes. Then, rinse your face with plain or lukewarm water and pat it dry.
- You may apply an oil-free moisturizer on the skin.
Garlic is one of the most potent herbs with strong medicinal properties that help in the management of several conditions. It possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties, which help to get rid of the organisms responsible for pimples. It also produces an antioxidant action and destroys the toxins that can harm the skin and increase the inflammation such as the harsh chemicals used in cosmetics, and dust. It also protects the skin from the damage caused by the UV radiation in the sunlight thus reducing inflammation. Garlic also contains sulfur, which promotes quick healing of these eruptions.
How to use
- Cut a garlic clove into two pieces and rub it on the eruptions. Press the piece of garlic gently on the skin to allow for the extraction of the juice.
- Leave it for about five minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can repeat this treatment several times a day.
Additionally, you can also eat one raw garlic clove every day. This will help eliminate the toxins from the body and purify your blood. It works the best when consumed the first thing in the morning.
- Wash the face with plain water immediately if you develop intense redness or irritation of the skin after the local application of garlic juice.
- Do not eat too many garlic cloves especially if you suffer from gastric disturbances.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) offers an excellent home remedy for quick healing of pimples. It acts as a gentle exfoliator for the skin and helps remove the dead skin cells accumulated on the surface. The skin regenerates new cells daily, which can take the place of the dead cells. Later, the dead skin cells are shed off. However, sometimes, the dead skin cells accumulate on the skin surface making the skin appear dull and lusterless. The dead skin cells can get trapped in the sebaceous glands and block the skin pores thus triggering the formation of pimples. Baking soda can help to prevent this by exfoliating the skin and promoting the shedding off the dead cells. It also unplugs the blocked skin pores and thus, minimizes the risk of future breakouts.
Baskin soda also has the ability to regulate the pH levels of the skin, which helps prevent irritation and inflammation. It also produces a mild antiseptic action, which ensures destruction of the organisms causing acne.
How to use
- Take a tablespoonful of baking soda and add to it a few drops of water to make a paste. Then, apply this paste on the affected part and rinse it off after 5 minutes.
- Another effective way to use baking soda for pimples is to prepare a mixture of 2 tablespoonfuls of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and 5 tablespoons of honey. Apply it to the face and wash after a few minutes. You can use this remedy once a week.
Oatmeal helps in treating pimples by removing the main cause of it, which is an excess secretion of sebum. It has the ability to absorb the excess oil from the skin surface thus preventing the clogging of pores by the sebum. It also cleanses the skin pores and clears the obstruction in the ducts of the sebaceous glands. In addition, it produces an excellent exfoliating action, which helps to remove the dead skin cells from the surface.
How to use
- Mix one tablespoonful of lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey in one cup of cooked oatmeal.
- Apply this mixture on the affected part with a gentle rubbing action for 5 minutes.
- The rubbing action will help to slough off the dead cells and make the skin appear vibrant and fresh.
- Leave the mixture on the skin for a few minutes and then, rinse it off with plenty of water.
- Pat dry with a clean towel and apply a moisturizer.
- You can use oatmeal for pimples once or twice a week.
Fuller’s Earth (Multani Mitti)
Fuller’s earth (Multani Mitti) is an effective home remedy for pimples, and several other skin conditions. It is specifically effective for those with a greasy skin linked with a higher production of sebum. It works by absorbing the excess oil from the skin surface thus preventing the blocks in the sebaceous gland ducts. The advantage of using fuller’s earth is it helps to get rid of acne without making the skin too dry. It also unclogs the skin pores with its cleansing action and eliminates the dirt, dust, and germs trapped in them. It also produces a cooling effect and soothes the skin thereby reducing inflammation and irritation. Additionally, it improves the skin complexion and prevents the risk of future breakouts.
How to use
- Mix equal quantities of Fuller’s earth, sandalwood powder, and rose water to make a paste of thick consistency.
- You may add more rose water if you find the paste too thick to apply on the face.
- Apply this face pack and leave it for at least half an hour.
- It is advisable to avoid talking, chewing, or doing any movement of the face during this period is it can lead to cracks in the face pack and reduce its effectiveness.
- You may wash it off with plenty of plain water. Repeat the same once every week.
While rinsing off the pack from your face, avoid rubbing the face too hard. The face pack can be difficult to wash off due to the dry crust it forms on the skin. It may not come off easily by just splashing water on the face. The best way to remove it is to make the crusts softer by gently rubbing water over it.
Cinnamon and honey
Cinnamon can help in treating pimples with its potent antimicrobial properties. It helps to destroy the germs that cause acne and prevent the clogging of skin pores thereby reducing swelling and pus formation. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and reduces damage to the skin due to the irritants present in soaps, and cosmetics.
Honey is a natural antibiotic that enhances the action of cinnamon and helps to get rid of bacteria. It also acts as a soothing agent, relaxes and rejuvenates the skin.
How to use
- Make a blend of 2 tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder to form a paste.
- Then, rinse your face with plain water and pat it dry.
- Apply the cinnamon-honey paste on the affected area and allow it to stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off completely with lukewarm water and pat your face dry.
Papaya is one of the most common ingredients used in the natural face packs owing to its soothing and antioxidant properties. Papaya helps in treating acne by removing the dead skin cells. It also helps to get rid of the excess oil from the face without causing dryness. It soothes the skin and makes it soft, supple, and smooth. Papaya also contains an enzyme, papain, which acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and prevents the irritation, redness, and swelling of the skin. It also prevents the pus formation.
How to use
- Cut the papaya into smaller pieces after removing the skin and seeds.
- Mash the pulp to make a paste of thick consistency that can be easily applied to the skin.
- Apply this paste on the face and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. Then, rinse it off with warm water.
Oranges are citrus fruits rich in several nutrients including vitamin C. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant with powerful astringent properties. It helps to protect the skin from any form of damage and thus, prevents inflammation and infection of the skin. Vitamin C also promotes the growth of new cells thus improving the overall health of the skin. Additionally, the fragrance of oranges produces a refreshing and rejuvenating effect on the skin as well as mind inducing relaxation and stress reduction. Since, mental stress is also a major cause of pimples, the stress-busting action of oranges is considered highly beneficial in preventing the future breakouts.
How to use
- Peel off an orange and take one of its carpels.
- Remove the skin of the carpel and rub the pulp on the face.
- Allow the juice to dry and leave it for about 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with plain water.
Alternatively, you can use orange peel instead of the pulp. Grind or pound up the orange peels in a blender, or using a mortar and pestle. Add a little amount of water to make a paste. Make sure it is not too thin or runny. Apply the paste to your face and leave it for 20 to 25 minutes. Rinse it off with water, and pat your face dry. You may apply a good moisturize if you find your skin a bit dry.
The home remedies discussed above are safe and cause no side effects. They are highly effective in reducing the appearance of acne and can help in preventing their recurrence. Additionally, people are also advised to eat a healthy diet containing fruits and vegetables that provide the body the essential nutrients needed to maintain the health of the skin. The fruits also contain potent antioxidants and immune-boosting substances needed to enhance the ability of the body to fight toxins and infective germs. Following these tips can reduce the pimples considerably and prevent several other skin conditions.