Turmeric water is an excellent and safe method to remove pesticide residues from vegetables and fruits. It also helps to prevent food-borne infectious diseases by killing harmful microbes. It also has antiseptic qualities. You can also use it to wash your wound and cuts.
You should soak vegetables and fruits in turmeric water for around 15 minutes before cutting and chopping. Then wash them 2-3 times with plain cold water.
How to Make Turmeric Water
The ratio of water and turmeric is 1000:1. It means if you require 1 litre water for soaking vegetables, you require 1 gram (1000 mg) of turmeric powder.
|Warm Water||5 litres|
|Turmeric Powder||5 grams|
- Take lukewarm water as per the required amount.
- Add turmeric powder according to the ratio recommended above.
- Mix it thoroughly.
- Put vegetables or fruits in this turmeric water.
- Leave it for around 15 minutes.
- Then discard the turmeric water.
- Then rinse vegetables and fruits with plain water 2 -3 times. It helps to remove the contaminants.
- You should always prepare turmeric water fresh to other soak vegetables and fruits.
You can also use this water for washing the wound before applying any antiseptic oil or cream (e.g. Jatyadi Oil).
Benefits of Turmeric Water
- Remove Pesticide Residue from the vegetables and fruits when soaked in it for 15 minutes.
- Useful in cleansing the wounds.
- Bajwa U, Sandhu KS. Effect of handling & processing on pesticide residues in food. J Food Sci Technol. 2014;51(2):201-220. doi:10.1007/s13197-011-0499-5
- Gupta A (2006) Pesticide residue in food commodities. Agrobios (India).