How to Stop Excessive Salivation
Many people are reporting having excess production of saliva. They feel saliva is in their mouth and they are spitting it for every 2 minutes. Sometimes, they feel mouth is full of saliva when they wake up in the morning. It occurs more in the morning just after waking up. You might have to spit the saliva for every few minutes until brushing or even after brushing your teeth. In summers, the problem decreases with the sunrise, but in winter, it can persist for a whole day and you feel very disappointing.
Causes of Excess Saliva
There are main two causes of excess saliva.
- Increase production of saliva in the mouth
- Decrease clearance of saliva from the mouth
However, other factors can contribute both of main causes.
Increased production of saliva
Following health conditions can contribute to this cause.
- Acidity and GERD:It is a most common cause of excessive salivation, especially if your problem worsens in the morning. You might feel sour throat and sour mouth and sour or bitter watery mouth. It is also known as water brash. In this case, Pitta Dosha becomes dominant and aggravated along with excess Kapha Dosha, according to ayurveda.
- Excessive intake of carbohydrate, starch, and sweets: It is another cause of excessive salivation. Our body produces more saliva in the response to direct sugars such as sweets and sweet products. If you are not taking a balanced diet and taking more starch in your diet, it might also a cause of excess saliva in the mouth. In this case, Kapha Dosha becomes excess in the mouth, which results in overproduction of saliva, as per ayurvedic principles.
- Pregnancy: In pregnancy, hormones are fluctuating, which can also contribute to excess saliva.
- Diseases: Some diseases like a mouth ulcer, mouth infections, Liver disorders, pancreatitis, Rabies, serotonin syndrome can also result in excessive production of saliva in the mouth.
- Medications:Medicines like clozapine, ketamine, pilocarpine, potassium chlorate, rabeprazole, and risperidone have a side effect that results in overproduction of saliva.
- Metallic & chemical toxins: Exposure to mercury, copper, arsenic and insecticides can also cause excessive salivation.
Decreased clearance of saliva
The decreased clearance of saliva from the mouth is due to the following health conditions.
- Tonsillitis (common cause)
- Abscesses in the oral cavity
- Inflammation of the epiglottis (epiglottitis)
Other causes may include rare neurologic disorders like paralysis, Parkinson’s disease, myasthenia gravis etc. Cancer treatment and radiation therapy can also cause excessive saliva production.
Remedies for Treating Excessive Salivation
The general ayurvedic rule for treating excess saliva is based on the dominance of KAPHA element in the body. In most of the cases, the problem occurs in the morning and during cold weather as compared to other times of day and warmer weather. Therefore, we require such remedies, which produce some heat in the body and removes excess saliva & KAPHA element from the body. Here are some natural home remedies for stopping excessive salivation.
Chewing two cloves three to five times a day can reduce excess saliva. How does it work actually, is yet not understood, but its action might be on nerves, brain, and salivary glands. Further, it has curative effects for oral infections and diseases due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It helps to maintain good oral hygiene and reduces oral diseases. It also produces numbness in the mouth and associated nerves, which might reduce hypersensitivity of salivary glands to produce more mucus.
Black pepper, Ginger, and long pepper mixture
|Black pepper||100 mg|
|Dried Powdered Ginger||100 mg|
|Long pepper||100 mg|
* You can mix first three ingredients in equal ratio and store in safe place, which should moisture and free. Glass container is best for storage. You can also add this mixture in yogurt and veggies.
- Add two-three pinches of this combination in pure honey and mix well.
- You should eat this remedy twice a day to get rid of excess saliva.
Cinnamon is a great home remedy for excessive salivation. It works in a similar manner as clove works for reducing excess saliva in the mouth.
|Cinnamon crushed or powdered||1/4 tsp.|
- Take 2-3 sticks of cinnamon and crushed them or make powder.
- Take a cup of water in a tea pan and add cinnamon in it.
- Boil the water with cinnamon and then turn the burner off.
- Now, leave for 10 to 20 minutes, so it becomes warm.
- Now, strain the tea and add 2 tsp. honey. It will be preferable to add honey when the tea is warm because hot tea may affect the nutritious benefits of honey.
You should not use other sweeteners instead of honey because all other sweeteners themselves cause excessive saliva formation in the mouth.
Kutki (Picrorhiza Kurroa)
Kutki (Picrorhiza Kurroa) roots work in both cases of excess Kapha and Aggravated Pitta. It reduces Kapha and helps to release the excess Pitta from the body. This mechanism is helpful to modulate the stimulation of saliva production and can control salivary secretion. It can also increase clearance of saliva from the mouth.
Kutki is well known for improving digestion, metabolism and liver functions. For best results, it can be used in combination with other herbs or remedies.
Neem (Azadirachta Indica)
Neem (Azadirachta Indica) bark or leaves are useful for reducing excess saliva. It works in a similar way as Kutki (Picrorhiza Kurroa) works to reduce saliva. Furthermore, it has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and bitter actions.
Khadira (Catechu or Black Cutch Tree) or Acacia Catechu
Catechu is the best medicine for excess saliva production. It has astringent taste and astringent action, which works against the sweet, salty and sour taste of the mouth. Generally, these three tastes are linked with excessive saliva production in the mouth. Especially, salty and sweet tastes are well-known triggers for stimulation of saliva secretion.
All parts of Catechu plant can be used for this purpose. Furthermore, it helps to reduce inflammation of gums (gingivitis), mucous membranes of the mouth (stomatitis), tonsils (tonsillitis), ulcers and sore throat (pharyngitis). These are also contributory factors for excess saliva secretion. Catechu (Khadira) treats these conditions and decreases excess saliva production and increases clearance of saliva from the mouth.
Combination of Three – Kutki, Neem & Catechu
For the best results, one should use Kutki, Neem & Catechu together in the following proportion.
- Kutki (Picrorhiza Kurroa): 50 grams root powder
- Neem (Azadirachta Indica): 100 grams stem bark powder
- Khadira (Catechu or Black Cutch Tree) or Acacia Catechu: 100 grams stem bark powder or Catechu extract 25 grams
Mix all ingredients in the proportion given above. Take ½ teaspoon of this mixture an hour after meal twice daily.
The following remedies are effective if you have a history of or you are also suffering from hyperacidity, sour taste, GERD, acid reflux, heartburn etc.
Indian Gooseberry (Amla) powder
Indian gooseberry, also called AMLA, is beneficial for reducing excessive salivation and acidity of the stomach. It stops sour water and sour taste in the mouth. It is a good antacid, so it also helps to cure acidity, GERD, and ulcer.
In the case of excess saliva formation, you should use its powder with warm water immediately after having a meal. It is also a good health tonic, so you can take it three times a day. Do not use other Amla formulations such as Amla Candy or Amla juice. Amla powder with warm water is more effective in reducing excessive salivation.
Ayurvedic Remedy for Excessive Salivation
|Amla (Indian Gooseberry) Powder||1 gram|
|Mulethi (Licorice) Powder||1 gram|
|Mustak (Nagarmotha or Nut Grass) – Cyperus Rotundus||500 mg|
This remedy works fabulously in people with associated gastric problem. If you have constipation, then the dosage of Mustak should be reduced to 250 mg and add Giloy Sat in the mixture in a dosage of 500 mg. You can take it twice or thrice a day according to the severity of the problem. It helps better when taken in between the meal i.e. when you have finished your half meal and half part of the meal should be eaten after taking this remedy for best results.
Questions & Answers
Do these home remedies need doctor advice before use?
I think trying home remedies might not need doctor advice unless if you are taking prescription medication along with them. Otherwise, these are safe and commonly used in our Kitchen.
You should consult doctor if your symptom is progressing and worsening over time. However, in mild case, you can use remedies to get rid of problem. You may also need to use remedy for at least 3 months to get rid of excessive salivation.
How long can I continue your home remedies for getting rid of excessive saliva?
You might need to continue these remedies for 2 to 3 months getting a relief from excess saliva production and treating the underlying cause as described in the article.
Can these remedies permanently cure my problem?
In most cases, the relief with these remedies is very satisfactory. You should use them at least for 2 to 3 months on regular basis. I have written these home remedies based on my clinical experience and ayurvedic concepts. Hundreds of people got treatment with these remedies. Just you need to carefully select the best suitable remedy in your case. If you have any doubt, then contact us.