In Nature Cure, Enema has great importance. There is no disease in which enema cannot be given, according to Nature Cure. Mostly, warm water enemas are administered in Nature Cure. Warm water enemas are best for body detoxification and cleansing the colon.
Warning: If you have normal bowel movement, you should not take water enema. It is still unnatural process.
Enema in Yoga
Nature cure water enema is more similar to Jala Basti used in Yoga. Jala Basti is a part of Shatkarma in Yoga.
Enema in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda “Basti” is used for enema therapy. It comes under Panchakarma Treatment in Ayurvedic Medicine. Ayurveda says Basti as a complete treatment for several diseases. Medicated water enemas or decoction enema and oil enemas are a specialty of ayurveda. Ayurvedic treatment without medicated enemas is not possible if you want to get rid of a disease from its root causes. In ayurveda, there are some contraindications (discussed below).
How to Take Water Enema
Here we will discuss how to take enema at home as per instructions of Nature Cure. There is an enema pot easily available in the chemist shop that you can use.
- Attach all accessories like a pipe to the enema bucket and nozzle to the pipe. Then take warm water or recommended medicated water in an enema bucket and place it on the height where you want to take it.
- Apply warm sesame oil or coconut oil on the nozzle and on the opening of the anus.
- Lie down on the left lateral side of your body with the right knee drawn to the abdomen.
- This position is an accurate position to take an enema, which helps in easier passage and flow of water into the rectum.
- Gently insert the enema nozzle with your right hand into the rectum and let water flow into the rectum from the enema bucket kept on height with gravity.
- Press the pipe to stop the flow of water when the enema bucket is going to empty and remove the nozzle from the anus slowly and carefully.
- Walk and do circular massage of the abdomen. After holding it for 15 to 30 minutes or for the recommended duration in your health condition, you can evacuate the bowel.
Side Effects of Water Enema
There are some concerns about water enema. The regular and continuous use of warm water enema can cause dryness in the rectum, which ultimately increases Vata Dosha. So, it may lead to constipation. You may not get bowel movement without getting water enema. So, it can be addictive.
Contraindications of Water Enema
Nature cure provides no list of contraindications. But there are some contraindications for such types of enema according to ayurveda. In the following health conditions, water enema should not be taken:
- Chest injuries.
- Diarrhea with mucus.
- Emaciated body, underweight, malnutrition or excessive weakness.
- Immediately after taking food (up to 3-6 hours).
- Inflamed Anus.
Reference: अनास्थप्यास्त्वतिस्निग्धः क्षतोरस्को भृशं कृशंः । आमातिसारी वमिमान् संशुद्धौदत्तनावनः ।। श्वासकासप्रसेकाशोहिध्माध्मानाल्पवहनयः । शूनपायुः कृताहारो बद्धच्छिद्रोदकोदरी ।। कुष्ठी च मधुमेही च मासान् सप्त च गर्भिणी। (अ. हृ. सू.. 19/4-5)
Nature cure also recommends if you have normal bowel action, you should not take an enema. (Reference: Science of Natural Life by Dr. Rakesh Jindal, Chapter 10, Treatment by Water Element, Page No. 172).
Also Read: Who should not take water enema?