Kanchanar Guggulu or Kanchnar Guggul

Kanchanar Guggulu, also known as Kanchnar Guggul, is beneficial in hypothyroidism, PCOS, lipoma, weight loss, tumor, cancer, cysts, goiter, wounds, fistula, boils and skin diseases.

It is more famous for lipoma and hypothyroidism. Now, many doctors also prescribe this ayurevdic remedy for the treatment of obesity associated with hypothyroidism.

Ingredients

Kanchanar Guggulu contains following ingredients.

Common NameBotanical name
KanchanarBoehinia variegata
ShunthiZingiber officinale
MarichaPiper nigrum
PippaliPiper longum
HaritakiTerminalia chebula
VibhitakiTerminalia bellerica
AmalakiEmbelica officinalis
VarunaCrataeva nurvala
Tej PatraCinnamomum tamala
ElaichiElletaria cardemomum
DalchiniCinnamomum zeylanicum
Suddha GugguluCommiphora mukul

Main ingredient is Kanchanar and Guggulu. Kachanar bark is used for making decoction.

Guggulu is mixed in kachnaar decoction and other ingredients are added in the mixture thereafter.

Medicinal Properties

Kanchnar guggul has following healing properties.

1. Anti-tumor
  2. Thyroid stimulant
  3. Anti-cancer
  4. Anti-mutagenic
  5. Analgesic
  6. Muscle relaxant
  7. Antioxidant
  8. Anti-inflammatory
  9. Antibacterial

Therapeutic Indications

Kanchanar Guggulu is beneficial in following diseases:

1. Hypothyroidism
  2. PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome)
  3. Lipoma (tumors consisting of fatty tissue)
  4. Obesity or overweight
  5. Tumors
  6. Cancer
  7. Cysts
  8. Polycystic kidney disease
  9. Liver cysts
  10. Goiter
  11. Wounds
  12. Boils
  13. Fistula
  14. Skin diseases

Kanchnar guggul benefits & Uses

Kanchanar Guggulu is beneficial in reducing symptoms of hypothyroidism and stop gaining weight due to it.

Further, it is helpful in all diseases related to thyroid gland. It is a main ayurvedic medicine for lipoma. Kanchanar Guggulu is used in following diseases.

Uterine Fibroids

Kanchnaar Guggulu is an effective remedy for uterine fibroids. If patient does not have any symptom, but it is detected in ultrasonography, then patient just need following treatment.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchnaar Guggulu1 gram
Chandraprabha Vati1 gram

If patient also have heavy bleeding due to uterine fibroids, then patient requires following medicines.

ALSO READ  Benefits of Green Leafy Vegetables
Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchnaar Guggulu1 gram
Chandraprabha Vati1 gram
Mukta pishti125 mg
Mukta Sukti Pishti500 mg
Praval Pisthi750 mg
Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) – Licorice – Glycyrrhiza Glabra Churna2 grams
Amalaki rasyana1 grams

Some doctors also use nagkeshar, mochrasa and other medicines to stop heavy bleeding. We found that RAKT PADAR RIPU CHURNA is more effective to control bleeding along with above treatment.

Hypothyroidism

Kanchanar Guggulu is generally given along with Arogyavardhini vati, yogaraj guggulu or maha yograj guggulu in hypothyroidism. It is believed that it activates the thyroid gland to normalize the hormonal secretion, so it is used in both cases hyperthyroidism as well as hypothyroidism. However, in hypothyroidism the following combination works well.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Arogyavardhini vati2 tablets
Yograj guggulu2 tablets

Hyperthyroidism

In hyperthyroidism, the following combination helps.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Sootshekhar Ras2 tablets
Parwal pisthi500 mg
Mukta Pisthi250 mg
Swarna makshik Bhasma250 mg
Licorice powder1 gram

PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome)

In PCOS, VATA and KAPHA are two main humors responsible for the symptoms of PCOS. PITTA can also be associated with other humors. It is the disease of PITTAVAHA SASASTANA, so we also have to consider PITTA in the ayurvedic treatment of PCOS.

Kanchanar Guggulu helps along with Chandraprabha vati in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Further, Ashokarishta is also required in this case.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Chandraprabha vati2 tablets
Ashokarishta4 tsp. with water

Lipoma

Kanchanar Guggulu is an excellent ayurvedic remedy for lipoma. It reduces the size of fatty tissue tumor. It should be taken with Arogyavardhini vati.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage *
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Arogyavardhini vati2 tablets
Triphala Powder2 grams

Take these remedies twice a day with warm water or Triphala water. You can take all these medicines together.

Weight loss

Kanchanar guggulu is frequently used for reducing weight associated with hypothyroidism. In fact, all ingredients in it are fat burners and correct metabolism in the body. Usually, this action is due to shuddha guggulu, triphala, trikatu and varna.

ALSO READ  Almond Butter Benefits

Swollen Lymph Nodes (lymphadenitis)

Kanchanar guggulu is a drug of choice for enlarged lymph nodes. Enlargement of lymph nodes occurs due to bacterial or viral infection. It can occur on the neck, in armpits and groin.

Kanchanar guggulu has anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial action, so it is an effective ayurvedic treatment for swollen lymph nodes.

For a proper ayurvedic treatment of lymphadenitis, the following combination is best.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Arogyavardhini vati2 tablets
Yashad Bhasma125 mg
Gandhaka rasayana500 mg

This is for adults and can be given three times a day.

This combination reduces tenderness, fever, pain, Night sweats and swelling of lymph nodes. It is also beneficial in sore throat if associated.

Nasal polyps

Kanchanar guggul reduces the size of nasal polyps and eases in breathing. The following combination helps.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Mahalaxmi vilas Ras with Gold1 tablet
Kapardika bhasma125 mg
Long pepper250 mg
Honey10 ml

This combination should be taken three times a day with honey and then drink warm water thereafter. This combination also reduces snoring, runny nose, postnasal drip and persistent stuffiness.

Cancer

Kanchanar guggul also helps along with other medicines in various types of cancer. The following combination helps in cancer.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Hirak bhasma2.5 mg
Swarna Bhasma40 mg
Abhrak Bhasma 1000 Puti40 mg

However, other medicines also require according to the type of cancer and symptoms that patient experience. It is a common combination, which is generally advised in all cases.

Non-cancerous tumors

Kanchanar guggul is also useful in non-cancerous tumors. The following ayurvedic combination helps in this case.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Abhrak Bhasma125 mg
Tamra Bhasma10 mg
Black Pepper250 mg
Long Pepper250 mg
Triphala powder1 gram

Polycystic kidney disease

Kanchanar guggul and Chandraprabha vati both are drug of choice for the treatment of polycystic kidney disease.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage
Kanchanar guggulu2 tablets (1 gram)
Chandraprabha vati2 tablets
ALSO READ  Navaka Guggulu (Vyoshadi Guggulu or Dashang Guggul)

Note: Dosage mentioned in tables above is a single dosage. Patients may require taking twice or thrice a day. The common adjuvant is Triphala decoction or warm water.

Kanchanar guggulu dosage

According to ayurveda, its dosage varies from 125 mg to 2 grams. The maximum dosage should not exceed from 4 grams per day.

Kanchanar guggulu is available in tablet form. The dosage of Kanchanar guggulu tablets is 2 to 4 tablets twice or thrice a day.

Adjuvant: The best adjuvant is Triphala decoction or tea. Warm water is also a good adjuvant of Kanchanar guggulu.

Caution & warning

Kanchanar guggulu may not help you quitting modern thyroid medicines. We observed that Kanchanar Guggulu does not give 100% results in hypothyroidism, but it can help reducing symptoms of hypothyroidism in almost all patients. It can reduce weight, puffy face, hoarseness, belly fat and constipation associated with hypothyroidism. In addition, it also helps in reducing joint pain, muscle weakness, muscle stiffness or pain.

You should not quit your thyroid medications and do consult ayurvedic doctor for other medicines require for a proper ayurvedic treatment of hypothyroidism.

Kanchanar guggulu side effects

Kanchanar guggulu is possibly safe for most patients when taken under the supervision of ayurvedic physician. The following side effects may appear in some sensitive people.

1. Stomach upset or mild gastric irritation
  2. Itching or skin rash due allergic reaction to any ingredient present in Kachnar guggul
  3. Loose stools
  4. Hiccups with herbal taste in mouth (in high dosage)

Pregnancy

Kanchanar guggulu is LIKELY UNSAFE during pregnancy. It seems to stimulate uterus and encourage the menstrual flow. It may occur due to its second main ingredients Shuddha guggulu.

Breast-feeding

Kanchanar guggulu is possibly safe if taken strictly under a proper supervision and according to Tridosha Analysis.

Our best suggestion

Guggul safety is not known in breast-feeding, so many other authority websites suggest not using guggul or guggul containing product during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

References

1. Kachnar Guggul, Gutika Prakarna, Ras Tantra Saar va Sidh Prayog Sangrah (Vol. 1)
  2. Kachnar Guggul, Guggulu prakarna, Ayurved Sarsangreh
  3. Chapter 14, Bhaishajya ratnavali

70 Comments
  1. kashinath p says

my PSA is 4.8. whats adverse of this. in nov. 2013 it was at 1.8 but all of now as on december 2014 it went upto 4.8. what might the reason . ayur doctors have prescribed Kanchnar Guggul and Vriddhivadhika Vati and Divya Godgan Ark. hope these are ok. or any otther s are required. pl. guide me. thanks.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The drug of choice for prostate is Varuna (Crataeva nurvala) in ayurvedic medicine. So according to me, varuna powder (about 1 gram), varunadi kashayam or any ayurvedic formulation that contains varuna as a main ingredient should be used in prostate gland enlargement. The second most effective remedy is saw palmetto. Kanchanar guggul is believed to be effective in prostate if taken with varuna and chandraprabha vati. Please ask your doctor about this opinion.

2. Jayitree says

Sir I’m 34 yr old and I have a 10 mounts baby. Recently small fibroid detect in my uterus. Is kanchnara guggulu safe for my baby? Please suggest me.

3. Rakesh says

I have hypothyroidism and borderline diabetes and sometimes anxiety which increases my palpitation.
    I am having throxine 50 mg tablet. please suggest what to take to control all.

4. B K GUPTA says

My wife age 55 has scrofula (Wound in lymph node). The doctor has diagnosed TB after biopsy. Will Kanchanar Guggulu cure her? It is lymph node in neck.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

In this case, Kanchnar Guggul can only help for reducing lesion and speeding up recovery process, but patient also requires Anti-tuberculosis medicines. In my best opinion, you should not try any alternative medicine for Scrofula. It is treatable with DOTS Therapy with high success rate. Please start DOTS Therapy under supervision of Medical Officer.

5. Bagga says

Any solution for lipoma plz?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Already given in the above article under heading Lipoma. Please read it.

6. sivakumar says

Sir,
    I am suffering from polycystic kidney disease. Can you suggest me the ayurvedic medicine to reduce cysts?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Please read https://www.ayurtimes.com/kanchanar-guggulu-or-kanchnar-guggul/#kanchnar-guggul-benefits-uses -> HEADING -> PolyCystic Kidney Disease. I hope it would help you.

1. siva says

Sir,

I purchased kanchanar gullulu -DS ..and Chandraprabha BATi…Please tell me howmany tablets per day doasage…it is DS sir..

Kanchanar Guggulu DS dosage = 2 tablets
          Chandraprabha vati dosage = 2 tablets
          Both twice a day triphala water or warm water.

7. raj says

What is the medicine for minimal hydrocele with swelling in testicles?

1. K Krishna Rao says

I am suffering from hydrocele; kindly advise me effective medicine for cure in Ayurveda. Thank you, – K Krishna Rao.

8. Manjunath says

Sir, I am suffering from lipoma from last 2-3 years. Nowadays, it is going to spread on all my body, so I want to take Kanchanar Guggul and Triphala Guggul. From where can I get these products? How should I take these remedies? Please help me.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

These remedies are available in ayurvedic stores.

2. Kunwar Singh says

Dear Manjunath,

I would suggest the following herbal medicines to treat Lipoma:

1. Liv.52 (Himalaya) – One tablet twice a day after meal to protect and maintain liver health.

2. Divya Triphla Guggulu (Baba Ramdev) – Two tablets twice a day with warm water after dinner.

3. Divya Kanchnar Guggulu (Baba Ramdev) – Two tablets twice a day after meal.

4. Divya Vridhivadhika Vati (Baba Ramdev) – One tablet twice a day after meal.

5. Punarnava (Himalaya) – One tablet twice a day after meal.

Take care and stay healthy!

1. RAKESH AGGARWAL says

HELLO KUNWAR SINGH JI,

Please tell me about lipoma. I am facing 12-15 lipoma (3 big & remaining are small) for the last 5-6 year without any harm. Can it become a risk factor for my health in future?

1. Kunwar Singh says

Dear Mr Rakesh Aggarwal,

Lipoma is non-cancerous fatty lump caused by body fat due to faulty dietary habits and sedentary life style. All types of grandular enlargements in the body should never be neglected but must be treated immediately to avoid serious health consequences. I would suggest the following herbal medicines for your present state of sufferings to bring best possible results:

1. Liv.52 (Himalaya) – One tablet twice a day after meal.

2. Divya Kanchnar Guggulu (Baba Ramdev) – Two tablets twice a day after meal.

3.. Divya Vridhivadhika Vati (Baba Ramdev) – Two tablets twice s day after meal.

4. Vrikshamla ( Himalaya) – One tablet twice a day after meal.

Please Note
          You will need to take the above herbal medicines for several months with utmost patience to achieve long lasting benefits, since natural products have holistic healing approach and take extra time for absorption and producing satisfactory results.

Take care and stay healthy!

Best regards,
          Kunwar Singh

9. sivakumar says

Dear dr.

Thank you for your valuable advice on PKD. As suggested by you, I am taking medicine since 3 days. Now I got relief from back pain. Please suggest me for how many days can I continue the remedies – Kanchanar guggul and Chandraprabha Vati.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The course with these ayurvedic remedies is about 3 months.

10. manju says

Dear Sir, I have suffered from lipoma since past 3 years. Before 2 years back, I had only one in my hand. Then after 1 year, it is going to spread my all body.

It is like very small size lipoma, so as your suggesting I would like to take Kanchnar Guggul and Triphala guggul from tomorrow onwards. Sir, if these remedies are best for me, how many times I should take per day. Can we take Kanchnar guggul and Triphala guggul both together on same time?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Please read Lipoma Section of This article. We have already answered these questions there.

11. Sukanta roy says

Sir
    I’ve a thyroid nodule from last 4 yrs, I’ve taken thyronorm 75.
    Can I take Kanchnar guggul along with thyronorm tablet?
    Pls suggest me…

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Kanchnar guggul ingredients are possibly safe to use it with other medicines including thyroxine sodium, but keep 3 hours gap between both medicines for a precaution. One can take Kanchnar guggul 1 to 2 hours after meal because thyroxine sodium should be taken on empty stomach in the morning.

12. Kunwar Singh says

The health benefits of Kanchnar Guggulu is the most knowledgeable piece of information explained in a very simple manner for everybody to understand and the hood work is totally commendable. The Ayur Team doctors are doing great job and I thank them from the bottom of my heart. Best of health!

13. Amit says

Need your assistance! Male 21
    2 years ago, a tiny tumor developed below my left armpit. I ignored.

But, now 4 months ago, I recognized painless swelling/tumor in lymph nodes in my neck (Right). I ignored that too.

Actually, I was in fear of cost of cancer treatment. (Chemo and all) & I am damn sure now that ‘I am a cancer patient’. So, last week, I visited an ayurvedic doctor nearby. He prescribed me Kanchnar guggul, vridhivadhika & Arogyavardhini vati.

What should I do now? Also signs of tumor are now developing on my forehead too means malignant cancer. Should I take modern treatments or continue with ayurveda. If ayurveda, then advise me some other medicine for fast & effective treatment. Also I didn’t disclosed about my health to family.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Without complete medical examination and tests, we cannot say anything about the cancer, declare it as cancer, or recommend any treatment. I would like only to suggest that you should consult local doctor and undergo complete health check.

14. soilen says

Is any ayurvedic medicine to reduce creatinine level

15. B K GUPTA says

Is there ayurvedic medicine for deficiency of Vitamin D.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Ayurveda suggest 45 minutes sunbath. However, Vitamin D is not allopathic medicine, it is a nutritional supplement. One can use it if he has severe deficiency. Some herbs like Hadjod also contain a good amount of Vitamin D.

16. meenu says

Can I use Kanchnar Guggulu also after meals? Will it be effective to take ayurvedic medicines along with Thyroxine?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. Kanchnar Guggul can be taken after meal.
      2. Thyroxine is taken on empty stomach. Keeping three hours gap between Thyroxine and Kanchnar Guggulu is suggestible to avoid any interactions.

1. meenu says

I want to know that will Kanchnar guggul also effective in PCOS case.

Read about it here: Kanchnar Guggul for PCOS

17. Sony says

1. Can I take Kanchnar Guggulu right after meal or more effective away from food?
    2. Can K. Guggulu also be taken with other herbs and Vitamins?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. Kanchnar Guggulu should be taken an hour after meal.
      2. There should be no problem taking Kanchnar Guggulu with other herbs. For Vitamins, keep 3 hours gap in between.

1. Sony says

Will it irritate not my chronic Gastritis if I take 1 hour after the meal? Also, can I take Sarivadi after meal and same question for this too.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Kanchanar Guggulu is less likely to cause causing gastric irritation. Yes, Sarivadi and Kanchanar can also be taken just after meal. Kanchanar Guggulu recommended one hour after meal to increase the absorption of active constituents in the kanchanar guggul, but it still work good if taken just after food.

1. Manu says

1) Any brand is better of Kanchanara Guggulu all brands having different % parts ingredient. Divya, planet Ayurveda, Banyan B, which is better brand, you have used in your experience?

2) Will Kanchanara Guggulu work on Tinnitus, chronic Gastritis and Hypothyroidism, low appetite, low energy, low mood?

2. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. All brands are effective. We generally use Kanchanara Guggulu by Sri Sri Ayurveda, and Baidyanath.

2. Kanchnar Guggul works well in Hypothyroidism, low appetite, and low energy. It also improves mood and overall general well-being. It may not work in tinnitus and gastritis.

18. VINEET SETIA says

Knowledge given by you here is quite useful thanks for providing this and the time you have spent here for us really an excellent job.

19. Prateek Sharma says

Will kanchnar gugglu treat my hypothyroidism?

20. Prateek Sharma says

I wanted to know what ayurvedic medication for acid reflux.

21. VISHVDEEP says

Can I get relief from shoulder and neck pain with Kachnaar Guggul?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Kachnaar Guggul can help to reduce pain and stiffness as it contains 50% Guggul content. Still it is not used for this purpose. The more suitable Guggul Preparations for shoulder and neck pain are Mahayograj Guggul, Yograj Guggul and Trayodashang Guggulu.

22. Jagdeep says

Kindly tell me, how much time should we take kanchanar guggul?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Depending on the health condition, one may require it from 3 to 6 months or more.

23. Preety says

Sir, can I take Kanchanar Guggul tablet during my periods?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Yes, Kanchnar Guggul can be taken during periods without any trouble. It is likely to be safe and does not influence the menstruation.

24. Devvrat says

Hi,

I have pre-diabetic condition, high cholesterol and Higher than normal TSH levels. Patanjali doctor has prescribed Kanchnar Guggul and Vridhivadhika Vati before breakfast and at night before dinner and Hridyamrit Vati after breakfast and dinner along with Arjunarishta. All are advised along with hot water half hour before meal and after meal.

They have prescribed 1 tablet each for the Vati’s and 3 teaspoons for Arjunarishta.

Is this the prescribed dosage? Is it better to take Vridhivadhika Vati after meals instead?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

However, Vridhivadhika Vati, Guggul or other such hot preparations are advised to take after food, but your local doctor can better tell you how you should take medicine. In some cases, instructions can be differ from other doctors. It depends on Dosha analysis of your doctor. If you have problem of burning sensation, heartburn, acid reflux, etc., then you should definitely take Vridhivadhika Vati after food.

25. Parmod mehra says

Does Kanchanar guggul cross the blood brain barrier?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

There is no evidence available that suggest Kanchanar Guggulu can cross the blood brain barrier.

However, Guggulu and all products containing Guggulu can cross the blood-brain barrier, according to its ayurvedic properties.

26. Adesh pratap singh says

I have mass in left upper side of testis, but not on testis from 10 days. I have taken medicine from surgeon now it is not paining, so I want to know that what that is.

27. Sarah says

Thank you for this wonderful information. The bottle of Patanjali Kanchnar Guggul says to take 1-2 tablets twice a day. The information listed above for treating hypothyroidism states 2 tablets of each of the 3 preparations. Should the 2 tablets be taken twice a day for each of the 3 then?
    Also, any negative interactions with Brahmi, Ashwagandha or Triphala?
    Thank you again!!

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. Yes, twice daily in given dosage.
      2. There are no interactions between Brahmi, Ashwagandha and Triphala reported.

28. penny says

Do you think it is ok to take kanchanar guggulu if I am showing ALL the symptoms of hypothyroid but my blood tests repeatedly say it is normal? I have thyroid problems in my family. It won’t disturb my thyroid negatively if I take it?

29. Kundan Kumar says

I have h.pylori bacteria in stomach with hiatus hernia ,pangastritis, duodenitis terminal ileitis, proctitis

30. Pragnesh says

How long can i continue taking Kanchnar Guggul (2 tablets 2-3 times a day) safely for hyperthyroidism (AFTN)

31. Ske says

Hi Doctor, Can I take Kanchanar Guggulu together with ashoka, sariva, bhumi amalaki, amalaki and brahmi for my uterus fibroid and cyst? Thanks Doctor

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Yes? these can be taken together.