Lakshadi guggul is an ayurvedic herbal formulation, which is very useful in management of low bone mineral density, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and other diseases related to bones, teeth, joints and muscles. The main actions of this formulation are restoring bone mass, strengthening bones, joints and muscles, reducing joint inflammation and alleviating pain and swelling associated with joint diseases.
- Laksha guggulu
- Lakshadi guggulu or lakshadi guggul
Table of Contents
Lakshadi guggul contains following ingredients.
|COMMON NAME||SCIENTIFIC NAMES|
|Laksha (Lac)||Laccifer lacca|
|Shuddha Guggulu||Purified Commiphora mukul|
Lakshadi guggul has following healing properties.
- Natural calcium supplement
- Natural supplement for bones and joints
Lakshadi guggul is helpful in following health conditions.
- Low bone mineral density or Osteopenia
- Pain in bones
- Weakness of bones
- Bone fractures
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Fibromyalgia and muscle cramps or spasms
- Stiffness in joints and strained muscles
- Inflammatory diseases of bones, muscles and joints
- Repetitive motion injury
How does Lakshadi guggul work?
There are many things, which make Lakshadi guggulu a perfect medication for bones and teeth. Some of points are discussed below.
- Cissus quadrangularis, also called hadjod, is a main ingredient of Laksha guggul. Cissus quadrangularis contains hydroxyapatite, which is a natural major component of normal teeth and bones. It makes up the matrix of teeth and bone mineral mass. It also provides the rigidity to bones and teeth.
- Hadjod, ashwagandha, Laksha, arjuna and nagabala contains natural calcium and vitamin D, which help to restore bone mineral density and provide strength to bones and joints.
- Suddha guggul helps to improve metabolism and absorption of minerals in the bones.
- All ingredients have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which help reducing pain and inflammation of joints.
MEDICINAL USES & HEALTH BENEFITS
Lakshadi guggul works mainly on bones, muscles and joints. It strengthens the bones, restores lost minerals, improves bone density, reduces joint inflammation and improves fracture-healing process.
Bones, Joints & muscles
Low bone mineral density or Osteopenia
Lakshadi guggul improves bone mineral density (BMD) and it is widely used in ayurveda for this purpose. Its effects are due to the herb Cissus quadrangularis, arjuna and ashwagandha. These three herbs are highly beneficial for improving bone mineral density according to various research studies.
Osteoporosis is an abnormal loss of bony mass, which result in porous and fragile bones. It can occur due to hormonal changes in women during menopause.
Lakshadi guggul is a drug of choice for this condition in ayurveda. It helps restoring bony tissue and preventing further bone loss. If patient also has pain and weakness, the following Laksha guggulu herbal combination can help.
|Herbs||Quantity (Single Dosage)|
|Lakshadi guggulu||250 mg to 2 grams *|
|Boswellia serrata||500 mg|
|Holy basil leaves (dried)||1 grams|
- * Dosage can vary according to severity of disease and tolerance of lakshadi guggul.
- If patient also experience weakness and feeling of tiredness in bones and joints, then Trayodashang Guggulu (500 mg to 1000 mg) and Mukta Pishti can be added in above combination.
Lakshadi guggul contains hadjod, arjuna and other herbs, which boost healing process in bone fractures. The following combination with lakshadi guggul works well in bone fractures.
Lakshadi guggul can help restoring joint movability. It can also help improving synovial fluid in synovial joints. All ingredients of lakshadi guggul have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and bone restoration action. Therefore, lakshadi guggul reduces pain and inflammation in osteoarthritis.
Fibromyalgia, muscle pain and spasms
Nagabala present in laxshadi guggul is a potent muscle relaxant and other herbs are known for their anti-spasmodic action. They reduce tenderness and pain in fibromyalgia and relax the muscles.
Lakshadi guggul dosage depends on the health condition of patient. Generally, dosage can vary from 250 mg to 2 grams. The maximum dosage should not exceed from 6 grams a day.
CAUTION & SIDE EFFECTS
Lakshadi guggul is POSSIBLY SAFE in therapeutic dosage when taken under the supervision of ayurvedic doctor.
Lakshadi guggul can cause following side effects if ingested in heavy dosages (more than 6 grams per day).
- Stomach upset
Allergic reaction to any of its ingredient can result in itching, hives and skin rashes.
Pregnancy & breastfeeding
Lakshadi guggul can encourage menstrual flow and bleeding due to its major ingredient guggul. It might endanger the pregnancy in heavy dosages. Therefore, it is LIKE UNSAFE during pregnancy. Stay at safer side and AVOID USING IT DURING PREGNANCY.
There is not data available for its safety during breast-feeding.
Lakshadi guggul should be taken with caution if you have following symptoms.
- Burning in abdomen
- Sour mouth
Lakshadi guggul contains guggul, which can interact with following medicines.
- Contraceptive drugs (Birth control pills containing estrogen)
- Diltiazem (laxadi guggulu can reduce its effectiveness)
- Cytochrome and other liver medications
- Anti-platelet drugs
- Thyroid hormone
- Bhaishajya Ratnavali
- Ayurvedic saar sangreh
- Ras Tantra Saar
- Management of osteopenia and osteoporosis using laksha guggulu and mukta shukti pishti