Licorice Tea Health Benefits & Side Effects
Licorice tea is one of the most beneficial herbal teas that have several medicinal benefits. Licorice root and extracts are used to treat several health disorders. It is fully loaded with antioxidants. However, the best way to attain the benefits from Licorice (Mulethi or Glycyrrhiza Glabra) is in the form of licorice tea. It is a strong cocktail like drink, which offers several medicinal benefits to your body.
Table of Contents
How to make licorice tea
The root of licorice is little sweet and hence it is also known as sweet root. It has been used for centuries to serve various medicinal purposes.
- Add dried licorice root to few cups of water in a pan depending on the quantity you need and later allow it to boil.
- For every 4 cups of water, add one small dried licorice root.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the root steep in the pan for few more minutes.
- Strain this herbal decoction and consume it when warm.
Benefits of licorice tea
Roots of licorice have been traditionally used to treat several disorders from common cold to an upset stomach.
Licorice root has expectorant properties and can create soothing effect as well. Licorice tea when consumed regularly can help control upper-respiratory symptoms and reduces phlegm. (1)
It helps cure intestinal issues as well as problems related to indigestion. Drinking licorice tea will not only cure digestive problems but also heals stomach ulcers. Recent studies have also proved that severity of stomach ulcers is reduced after having licorice tea regularly. Flavonoids in licorice root also cures inflammation of the digestive tract. (2, 3, 4, 5)
Immunity boosting tonic
Licorice tea upon drinking regularly can help improve the effectiveness of your immune system. Hence, it is used in ayurvedic treatments to treat infections caused due to bacteria and viruses. You will be soon able to fight against any common issues like cold, flu, fever etc. when your immune system works the best upon drinking licorice tea daily. (6, 7, 8)
Lowers Cholesterol and cardiovascular risks
Studies have reported that licorice tea on consuming regularly can help lower body’s cholesterol by enhancing the production of “bile”. In addition, the antioxidants present in licorice root will improve capillary health and obstruct the growth of plaques in artery. (9, 10)
Research studies have indicated that following a well-balanced diet with a regular exercise routine along with a cup of licorice tea for a period of two months have reduced body fat mass. However, studies on this subject are conflicting because it can also increase weight in some people. (13)
Glycyrrhizin acid present in licorice root can help boost up your mood by enhancing the functioning of licorice root. One cup of licorice tea when consumed daily will blow away your stress. (14)
Licorice tea is best for general debility or physical weakness. It provides strengthen and revitalizes the immune system. It is also a brain tonic and enhances memory.
Licorice tea side effects & caution
Licorice tea has side effects as well, if not taken in prescribed quantity. Below are the most probable side effects, which might show up.
- Higher dose of licorice tea might lead to hypokalemia, hypertension, and fluid retention from the body as well as cataracts.
- People with heart disorders are not supposed to have licorice tea.
- Due to the estrogenic effect in licorice root, breastfeeding and pregnant women are not advised to drink licorice tea.
- Licorice might interfere with medications as well. Hence, it is recommended to consult your general physician.