Medohar Guggulu Benefits, Dosage & Side Effects

Medohar Guggulu is anti-obesity herbal medicine used in ayurveda. It stimulates fat metabolism and burns excess body fat. It helps the adequate use of the fats in the body by burning it off.

Initially, some people have reported increase in their appetite, but they feel reduction in appetite after a few days. Therefore, you should not stop taking Medohar Guggul and increase intake of salads, fruits and vegetables or foods with low glycemic index. Almost all types of salads, fruits and vegetables have low glycemic index, so it is best healthy and nutritious diet in your weight loss program. You can also add Vrikshamla (Garcinia Cambogia) to suppress excessive craving for foods.

Ingredients

Herbal IngredientsQuantity
Suddha Guggul – commiphora mukul10%
Black pepper (piper nigrum)10%
Ginger (Zingiber officinale)10%
Pipali (Long Pepper) – Pepper Longum10%
Mustak (Nagarmotha or Nut grass) – Cyperus rotundus10%
Chitrakmool – Plumbaga zeylanica10%
Haritaki – Terminalia chebula10%
Bibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica10%
Amla (Amalaki) – Emblica officinalis10%
Vaividang (Embelia ribes)10%
Castor Oil (Erand tel)Q.S.

Medohar Guggulu Benefits & Uses

Medohar Guggulu is a unique preparation that works on metabolism and naturally burns fats. However, it is formulated only obesity, but it also work for associated diseases such as diabetes, knee pain, fatty liver, high cholesterol levels, breathing troubles and belly fat. It works in all following KAPHA symptoms associated with these diseases.

1. Lethargies or laziness or inactiveness
  2. Loss of energy
  3. Feeling of heaviness in the body
  4. Abdominal heaviness after meal
  5. Inactiveness
  6. Congestion
  7. Excessive sleep
  8. Passive depression or aloneness

Obesity & Belly Fat

In some people, Medohar Guggulu can alone work. It works best reducing belly fat and hip fat. However, you may also require other remedies to speed up the fat burning process. The best combination of Medohar Guggulu is as follows.

Ayurvedic RemediesDosage (twice a day)
Medohar Guggulu500 mg
Triphala Guggulu500 mg
Pushkarmool – Inula racemosa250 mg
Vrikshamla (Garcinia Cambogia)500 mg

This combination speeds up the shedding off the fat and works on overall body including facial fat. Some people may initially feel increase in appetite, but you should not stop taking this remedy because your body is correcting metabolism and it will reduce after a few days itself.

How does medohar work?

The action and mechanism of Medohar Guggulu depends on the Guggul. Guggul has been studied for following actions and verified by scientific studies. Guggulsterone present in guggul is responsible for its weight reduction property.

1. Guggul increases lipid’s metabolism.
  2. It may induce natural cellular death of adipose cells.
  3. It inhibits the production of new fat cells.
  4. It also acts on thyroid gland and stimulates thyroid functions. Thus, it improves the metabolism in the body.

All other ingredients in Medohar Guggulu have almost similar properties and work together correcting the lipid metabolism, improving liver functions and reducing excess fat.

Diabetes

In diabetes, Medohar Guggulu works in obese people with above listed KAPHA symptoms. Its main action is on insulin resistance diabetes. It may not work in insulin insufficiency. In such condition, patient may require other insulin production stimulating remedies.

Knee Pain or osteoarthritis

However, Medohar Guggulu is not directly indicated in osteoarthritis, but it becomes useful when knee pain is associated with obesity. In such case, it is given as per following table.

RemediesDosage (twice a day)
Medohar Guggulu500 mg
Gokshuradi Guggulu500 mg
Boswellia serrata500 mg

Fatty Liver

Medohar Guggulu is very helpful for people with fatty liver syndrome. It reduces excess fat from the liver and corrects the liver functions. In most cases, fatty liver syndrome has a link with obesity, so it works in both and provides relief from liver disorders. The following herbs can be included for maximum benefits.

• Andrographis paniculata
  • Boerhavia diffusa
  • Eclipta alba
  • Phyllanthus niruri
  • Picrorhiza kurroa
  • Solanum nigrum
  • Tephrosia purpurea

High cholesterol levels

Medohar Guggulu also works for cleansing the blood vessels and reduces cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. It works great in following combination.

RemediesDosage (twice a day)
Medohar Guggulu500 mg
Pushkarmool – Inula racemosa250 mg
Arjuna – Terminalia arjuna500 mg

Medohar Guggulu Dosage

The general dosage of Medohar Guggulu is as follows.
Children250 to 500 mg *
Adults500 to 1000 mg *
PregnancyNOT RECOMMENDED
Geriatric (Old age)250 to 500 mg *
Maximum Possible Dosage6 grams per day (in divided doses)
* Twice a day with warm water or Triphala Decoction or Triphala Tea
The dosage can be adjusted according to body weight, age and several other factors.
Medohar Guggulu is also available in Tablet form in the market. Each Tablet of Medohar Guggul contains about 500 mg Medohar Guggul powder.

Effectiveness of Medohar Guggul

The most common question is about the effectiveness of the Medohar Guggul. Many people have reported that it has not worked for them. What is the reason and what should they do?

The reasons might be the following:

1. Ayurveda considers body type and Dosha dominance. Medohar Guggul work well when you have no Pitta symptoms.
  2. The minimum effective dosage of Medohar Guggul is 1 gram twice or thrice daily. If you have taken the dosage less than 1 gram, then it may also be ineffective.
  3. Poor dietary habits may also be responsible. Even you may have cut down the food intake, but the right foods are essential for losing weight. Read more – Weight Loss Diet Guidelines
  4. You may not drink the enough water, which help you eliminating the toxins and prevent overeating.
  5. Sedentary lifestyle – you cannot expect reduction in weight even if you are taking a little food while you are living a passive life.
  6. Eating the junk foods, frozen foods or stored/packed foods may also be a hindrance in losing weight.
  7. Not taking whole nutritious diet may also be responsible.

If you are seeing that all these reasons are not applicable on you, then it may also occur due to the failure of Medohar Guggul. It is a common problem with natural medicine that it works well for some people and shows no results for some. It might also be due to non-standardization of the Medohar Guggul, which may result in good potency in some manufacturing batches and poor potency in some other batches.

What can I do now if Medohar is not working for me?

If you are not getting the desired results with Medohar Guggul, then you may also require other supporting medicines, or need to stop it and consult ayurvedic doctor for the better remedies specific to your body type and symptoms.

Caution & Side Effects

Medohar Guggulu is POSSIBLY SAFE and WELL TOLERATED with dosage less than 2 grams per day. The heavy dosage may cause following side effects.

1. Heartburn
  2. Dull headache (commonly associated with acidity and occurs in people with history of acidity, gastritis or ulcer)
  3. Increase in appetite (it may not its side effects, as people feel it initially and after a few days it reduces itself)
  4. Loss of appetite (it occurs in people with chronic gastritis or digestive troubles)

Pregnancy

You should not take Medohar Guggul in pregnancy. It has warm property, which means it produces heat in the body. The medicines having hot potency are not used in pregnancy according to ayurvedic science.

You might also like

68 Comments

1. Aman says

How long should I take medohar guggul to lose weight?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The treatment duration depends how much weight you want to lose. Medohar guggul can help you lose weight about 2 to 5 kg per month. It can be used on regular basis for several months without any issue.

2. meena says

How to take Medohar guggul – mean before lunch/dinner or after lunch/dinner

3. Tajinder says

Dr.
    Tell me about medicine for weight gaining.

4. Sam says

Will the weight come back after we stop taking the guggulu?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Diet plays a major role in gaining weight again. Therefore, it is possible to regain weight after stopping any medicine used for losing weight, not only Medohar Guggulu. You just require improve your diet and adding more healthy diet for maintaining weight. I think this article will help you for healthy diet: Weight Loss Diet

5. tanushree says

Sir, I am a patient of hypothyroid since 5 years. Weight is 60 kg and height is 5’3″. I want to reduce 12 Kgs. So, I take 12 tabs of Medohar Guggulu and 6 caps of veil shank on empty stomach in morning. Are the dosage and time both all right for weight loss? As well as I take ELTROXIN 50 mcg.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Actually, we do not recommend anybody to take more than two tablets trice a day. In such way, the total daily dosage is about 3 grams per day. However, according to classical text the dosage can be up to 6 grams per day. I do not know the weight of your Medohar Guggulu tablets that you are taking. We suggest taking Medohar Guggulu 2 hours after meal.

6. anagha says

I want to reduce my weight, I suffering from fat belly problem and I am over weighted. My age is 39 yrs. Please suggest me medicine.

7. Shivangi says

Sir, can we take medohar vati 3 times a day, one tablet each, even if we have pcos problem?

8. neenu chopra says

1. Can we take Oral Diabetes Medications along with Medohar Guggul?

2. How much weight will lose after one month’s course with Medohar Guggul?

3. Do I also need to change diet?

4. How should we take Medohar Guggul after meal or before meal?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. However, one can take Medohar Guggul with any kind of medicines, but 3 hours gap between allopathic or homeopathic medicines and Medohar Guggul is highly suggestible for minimizing the possibilities of interactions if any.

2. Losing weight with Medohar Guggul varies person to person. However, on average one can lose 2.5 Kg body weight with Medohar Guggul in combination with calorie restriction diet.

3. Intake of calories and amount of food play an important role in management of weight. If you are taking high calorie diet, even with Medohar Guggul or other medicines, you cannot lose weight. Therefore, calorie control is also very important. For more details, read this article: Healthy Diet for Losing Weight

4. One can take Medohar Guggul any time, but the most preferable time to take is 2 hours after meal. Patients with history of hyperacidity, ulcer or heartburn should not take Medohar Guggul on empty stomach.

9. naheda says

1. Can I take Medohar guggul and Triphala guggul at the same time after meal?

2. What is the dosage?

10. raj says

I was wrestler in past time. So my weight is 98 kg right now but my height 5•3ft. so you please advise to me.
    How to take the quantity of your medicine

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The dosage of Medohar Guggul is about 1 grams thrice daily for a person with weight more than 80 Kg.

11. Gauri says

Sir my weight is 65 kg.and my height is 5.5.” Can i loss my weight or not? Pls tell me the ideal weight for my height.and can i use medohar guggula?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Ideal weight for your height is about 54 to 68 Kg, so you are having ideal body weight. There is no need to take any medicine.

12. B.Desai says

I leave abroad. Where can I get this medohar guggul from? do you have any options for overseas delivery?

13. Siddhi says

1. Can lactating mothers use Medohar guggul?

2. When should lactating mother start Medohar guggul?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. Lactating mothers can use Medohar guggul in dosage less than one gram per day. This dosage may not have huge influence in breast milk supply. Higher dosage may decrease the milk production due to hot potency of ingredients in Medohar Guggul.

2. Nursing mother should wait for 6 months after delivery to take Medohar guggul in higher dosage.

14. Devinder says

Garcinia should be used as raw or extract.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

However, Garcinia is effective in both form – crude (raw) and extract. We always consider Garcinia in natural form (i.e. raw), so we suggest raw form is best and free from unwanted effects.

15. reena goswami says

1. Can I take Medohar Guggulu with other medicine like allergy migraine or any other medicine?

2. How much weight can I lose with it in one month?

3. What should be perfect diet?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

1. Keeping 3 hours gap between Medohar Guggul and other allopathic medicines is highly suggestible.

2. Medohar Guggulu results vary person to person. Some may lose 1 Kg or some may lose up to 5 Kg per month.

3. Read: Weight Loss Dietary Guidelines

16. Tanu says

Can we take all 4 medicines for weight loss or can we take Medohar guggul and Triphala.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

All four remedies described in the article should be taken together for good results in weight loss. The dosage is already given in the article under section of obesity & belly fat.

17. Shweta jha says

Is Medohar Guggulu suitable and risk free for the age of 17?
    Is there any risk?
    What is the dosage for age of 17?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Medohar Guggulu is considerably sage for all age groups. The dosage should be the same as adult dosage mentioned above in the article.

18. Minal says

Will I gain weight after stopping Medohar G. if I follow my diet?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

According to ayurveda, one should eat less than his appetite to avoid several health problems including obesity. If you overeat or take food more than your daily requirement, then there is possibility to regain the weight.

The balanced diet is highly recommendable according to individual’s daily requirement and balanced diet is less likely to increase the weight.

19. Neeraj says

Can we take Kanchnar Guggul and Medohar Guggul at a time? Can you suggest after meal or before meal?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Medohar Guggul and Kanchnar Guggul both can be taken together. All Guggul preparations are best to take after food.

20. RAMAKRISHNA says

Money waste
    Waste product
    This baidyanath medohar guggul does not work.
    This cannot reduce the weight of me. I took these tablets 1 hour after lunch and dinner. These tablets make me hungrier and these also increased my belly fat.

1. RELKHA says

I have Guggul tablet too. That is true. It’s not going to work. What can I do now?

21. S Kapoor says

Is it required to workout with this med or is 20-25 minutes’ walk sufficient?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Yes, exercises and diet control is required with Medohar Guggul to get a good results in losing weight. 20 to 25 minutes walk is not sufficient for most of obese individuals.

22. SHAIKH SABANAZ says

Does Medohar Guggul affect menstrual periods?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Medohar Guggul is less likely to affect menstrual periods in recommended dosage, but it contains ingredients having hot potency, which may increase the menstrual flow. Therefore, it should not be taken if anyone has heavy bleeding. In rare cases, it may also alter the menstrual cycle duration.

23. Nafisa says

Is Medohar Guggul safe for kidney patient and what is the accurate dosage?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Medohar Guggul contains most of natural ingredients and some of them we are using in Indian Kitchen daily. It is likely to be safe for kidney patients when taken under supervision.

The dosage will remain same as described above in the dosage section.

24. VIJAY says

Medohar Guggul & Navaka Guggulu both are same formulation?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Ingredients in Medohar Guggul and Navaka Guggulu are same, but the difference is in the quantity of the Guggul in the formulations. Guggul is 50% in the Navaka Guggulu and Guggul is 10% in Medohar Guggul.

25. Nets says

So the above mentioned combination for weight loss needs to be taken half an hour after meal. Is it correct?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The combination described for weight loss can be taken anytime, but it would be best to take it an hour after meal.

1. Nets says

Great thank you also I’m taking this in a tablet form so 2 tabs is fine as I don’t understand it in mg or gms. So how do I proceed?

26. deep says

Sir, I am taking Medohar Guggulu of Baidyanath, which is a 700 mg tab containing around 250 mg Guggulu, but I am already suffering from belching, bloating and heartburn.
    Is it safe to take Medohar Guggulu 2 tabs in morning and night if one is suffering for belching, bloating and heartburn?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Medohar Guggulu may not be suitable if one has sour belching (Acid Burps) and heartburn due to its hot potency. However, it is effective in bloating.
      In such cases, other medicines for heartburn should also be taken along with Medohar Guggul and dosage should be reduced less than one gram twice daily.

27. kiran karnam says

Sir,

As mentioned above all 8 symptoms are associated with my body since long time. As well i have varicose veins. Right now I am taking Balarishta and Arjunarishta and would like to add triphala or Medohar Guggulu.

Please suggest which one is good

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

In this case, Medohar Guggul should be best. One can also use Triphala Powder with Medohar Guggul in combination for enhancing the beneficial effects.

1. kiran says

As well, I am also searching for GOTU KOLA pills, which are not available in pill form, meanwhile can I go for kaishore guggulu?

28. Raghav says

If I take Medohar guggulu, will it work?

29. Poonam says

Is Medohar Guggulu safe for a new mom? Are there any side effects to a three months baby due to breast feed?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Medohar Guggulu is possibly safe for new moms. There should be no side effects to the breastfed baby.

30. Amruta says

My height is 5.2 Feet and my weight has become post delivery (child age is 1.5yrs at present) 79.8kg. Kindly suggest a product which will help me to reduce my weight.

31. DEEPAK says

An ayurvedic shopkeeper gave me Medohar Guggul and Arogya vardhani vati (both by nidco) for weight loss, told me to take one of them half an hour before meal and one half an hour after (both one tablet twice a day). I forgot which one was before and which one after.

32. Dr RASHMI says

I am a lactating mother of a 10 month old baby. Can I take Medohar guggul? Will it cause weight loss of the baby?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Lactating mothers can take Medohar guggul. It does not likely to cause weight loss in the baby if taken by the mother.