What is Naturopathy – Five Element Therapy
Nature cures or natural cures are healing measures provided by nature itself. These measures include use of five basic elements of the nature. These five elements are space, air, fire, water, and earth. Many treatment methods are available in natural cures to fight off various diseases.
Nature cure is also known with following names:
- Nature cure
- Natural measures
- Natural healing system
- Natural treatment
Origin of nature cures
Nature cure comes into existence with the origin of nature. Therefore, naturopathy or nature cure is one of the oldest systems of all the prevailing healing sciences. Moreover, you can also find major of its principles and concepts in ancient text such as the Vedas. You can find water therapy and fasting description Vedas and their benefits to cure diseases. Since ancient times, Indians have used fasting and water therapy to cure many ailments.
All organisms, animals, plants, and human beings are crucial part of nature and nature has created them. All organisms are very complex in their structure as well as in their physiological processes. Human beings have some uniqueness due to their intelligent brain. For appropriate functions of the brain and body, we need some nutritious foods and healthy lifestyle. Nature provides us all these things and even many herbs and natural resources, which are used to formulate or manufacture many medicines for curing or managing a wide variety of diseases.
Our body has 65 to 70 percent water content. Therefore, we cannot think about living without water. Water also acts as a medicine for various ailments. We need about eight glasses of water daily to keep our body healthy and free from toxins. We cannot live without water probably more than 10 days and without air, we cannot survive more than 5 minutes. Air element is also one of the important parts of natural cures. Air is a crucial part of inhalation and exhalation process and oxygen is extracted from the air to the lungs and from the lungs to the blood. From blood, oxygen goes to various parts of the body, which assist cells and tissues to survive in existence and get nutrients from the body fluids.
Parts of nature cure
Natural cure or nature cure has five types of major therapies and three minor therapies.
Five therapies are:
- Ether or vacuum therapy
- Air therapy
- Fire therapy
- Water therapy
- Earth therapy
Three minor therapies are:
- Diet planning
Ether therapy includes:
- Healthy lifestyle
- Mental discipline
- Use of will power to cure diseases
- Rest & relaxation
- Sound sleep
Air therapy includes
- Morning walks
- Swar control (control on inhalation & exhalation)
- Hatha yoga
- Yogic breathing
- Yoga poses
Fire therapy or sun element treatment
- Color therapy
- Sun rays therapy
- Sun bath
- Steam bath
- Hot hip bath
- Hot fomentation
- Use of hot water bottles for pain
Water therapy is famous all around the world. It includes:
- Drinking water in the morning on empty stomach
- Habit of daily water bath
- Use of cold water
- Use of mineral water
- Shower bath
- Spinal bath
- Sitz bath
- Cold wet bandage
- Use of wet sheet packs
- Water enema
- Herbal water enema
Earth therapy includes:
- Walking barefoot on the earth
- Lying or sitting on the earth
- Application of dry or wet earth clay over the body
- Mud bath
- Bandages of hot earth mud
- Bandages of cold earth mud
- Eating sand
Diet planning or food therapy
If you are suffering from any disease, the naturopath will recommend some specific food to eat and advise you to avoid some of the food items. It is the diet planning or food therapy. It is also known as treatment by food. It includes:
- Dietary recommendations
- Dietary restrictions
- Balanced diet or balanced nutrition
- Use of more fibres in the meal
- Use of vitamins and minerals
- Mono diet therapy
- Avoiding harmful combination of food e.g. curd with vegetables, sour fruits with pulses etc.
- Yogic diet
- Buttermilk therapy
- Milk therapy
- Vegetarian foods
- Daily dietary regimen
- Seasonal dietary regimen
- Fruits therapy
- Fruit juices
- Vegetable Salad
- Use of honey
- Sprouts of seeds
- Intake of uncooked food
Nature cure is superior to all modalities of health sciences due to these eight natural elements, which have no side effect or after effect. However, yoga therapy is also one of its parts but it covers under the air therapy as many breathing exercises and body postures are used in yoga therapy to heal or cure diseases.
Common principles of natural cures
- All diseases occur due to ignorance toward nature and following natural laws again aids to restore lost health. If natural laws are followed, there are very less chances of occurrence of diseases. All causes, diseases, and treatments are same but the presentations are different.
- Microorganisms only cause disease, when people ignore natural laws of living and follow unhealthy lifestyle. Therefore, we cannot say that microbes cause disease, when we make mistakes.
- Nature itself is a cure for all diseases. We just need to follow some natural laws to restore health.
- Nature cure treats the whole body and mind, not the symptoms. Therefore, it is a complete cure for health issues.
- Chronic ailments develop slowly and treatment for them takes time. Some experts say that if a person suffers from a disease from six months, treatment may take time near about three months.
- Modern sciences suppress diseases, which come to surface during natural cure treatment procedures and after that person gets permanent cure.
- Ayurveda is the mother of natural cure but one difference is that natural cure does not include medicines.
Nature cure is an art of healthy living and healthy lifestyle. Therefore, it is not the actual method to cure the diseases but it can cure ailments due to the same rules and principles are followed during treatment of diseases, which are advocated for preserving the health of a person. Therefore, natural cure is a way of living and the art of healthy lifestyle or positive habits. When a person avoids nature and does not follow the rules for health, he falls ill or suffers from diseases. When a person begins natural way of living, his health restores again. This is a simple rule of nature and this universe that applies to every individual.
In a nutshell, natural cures are abidance with the laws of nature to maintain health and of course to treat ailments. Nature cure is an art how to live in a natural way of restoring health and fighting off diseases.