Podikizhi (also called Churna Pinda Sweda) is the ayurvedic technique of fomentation in which cotton bags filled with a hot a mixture of herbs are used. In podhikizhi, Cotton bags are rhythmical dabbed and massage is carried out simultaneously. Podikizhi is the common type of ayurvedic massage techniques that helps in alleviating pain and reduces swelling occurred due to arthritis, muscular spasm and rheumatism.
Herbal Poultice for podikizhi
The herbal mixture used in this technique contains 12 herbs. Main Ingredients of herbal poultice used in podikizhi are provided in table given underneath:
|S. No.||Latin Name||English Name||Hindi Names|
|1||Acorus calamus||Sweet Flag||Vacha|
|2||Brassica campestris||Black Mustard Seed||Sarshapa|
|3||Nardostachys jatamansi – spikenard||Nardus root||Jatamamsi|
Steps involved in podikizhi
- Take main ingredients and other ingredients as per condition of the individual.
- Grind herbs and heat them in a little oil.
- After 5 minutes, your herbal poultice is ready to put in cotton cloths to make small bags.
- When these bags temperature is about to tolerable range, apply the bags over the affected parts of the body to reduce pain.
- When the bags cooled down, reheat the herbs and reuse them on the body.
- Repeat all above steps repeatedly for a 30 minutes, so that a proper fomentation can be done.
- Poultice should be hot or have a heat at least tolerable level throughout the procedure.
- Apply bags and do massage simultaneously.
- Ask patient or individual to take a hot water bath after the podikizhi.
Duration of procedure
30 to 60 minutes
Course of the treatment with podikizhi
7 days to 3 weeks
Benefits of podhikizhi
- Podikizhi increases the peripheral blood supply, so it also helps in improving complexion of the skin.
- It relieves body ache and strengthens muscles and skin.
- It is also a good technique for relaxation and reliving stress.
- It has detoxifier properties for the skin, removes the toxins through the pores of the skin, and lowers the tendency of skin diseases.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Muscular spasm, muscular pain or Muscular sprain and stiffness
- Swelling on joints due to osteoarthritis of other disease
- Paralysis and other neurological diseases
- Post trauma or sports injury rehabilitation
- Body Relaxation
- Burning sensation of the body