Taking Haritaki powder along with different adjuvants in different seasons is called Ritu Haritaki in ayurveda. These seasonal regimens help to maintain health and increase longevity. According to Ayurvedic Science, our mental, as well as physical condition, changes according to the environmental changes. Therefore, you require a different diet, different medicines, and different adjuvants in different seasons to get maximum health benefits. Therefore, the ayurvedic doctor prescribes treatment considering all these factors.
Haritaki (Harad) is the primary herb that you should consume with different adjuvants according to seasons to get its maximum rejuvenating benefits. Haritaki is the first and most important Rasayana (Rejuvenating medicine) in Charak Samhita. You can use it in every season, but adjuvant should be different.
Haritaki refers to fruit pulp of Terminalia chebula plant. It is also known as Harad in Hindi and Myrobalan in English. It belongs to Combretaceae (combretums) family and Terminalia L. (tropical almond) genus. In Ayurveda, the fruit pulp is considered a rejuvenating herb. It also helps to cure several diseases.
Seasonal Adjuvants for Haritaki
ऋतु हरीतकी: सिन्धूत्थ शर्करा शुण्ठी कणा मधू गुडैः क्रमात् । वर्षादिष्वभया प्राश्या रसायन गुणैषिणा ॥३४॥ (Bhava Prakash, Chapter 1, Haritakyadi Varga, Haritaki, Verse 34)
|Varsha Ritu – Monsoon||Sendha Namak (Rock Salt)|
|Sharad Ritu – Autumn||Sharkara (Desi Khand or Misri)|
|Hemant Ritu – Late Autumn or Early Winter||Sonth (Dried Ginger Powder)|
|Shishir Ritu – Winter||Pippali (Long Pepper) Powder|
|Vasant Ritu – Spring||Kshudra Honey *|
|Grisham Ritu – Summer||Fresh Jaggery **|
- * Kshudra Honey is a variety of honey made by the small bee of tawny color. The color of this type of honey has brown with a copper tinge (reddish brown).
- ** Jaggery should be freshly prepared. It should not be older than 3 months. Older jaggery becomes saltier, which should not be used.
- These six seasons are clearly observed in the Indian subcontinent. If you are living outside India, you should check the characteristics of your weather and compare it with these seasons for using appropriate adjuvant for taking Haritaki powder.
Benefits of Ritu Haritaki
Taking Haritaki (Harad) powder along with seasonal adjuvants help to maintain health throughout life. It mainly balances the aggravation of the Tridosha in the body. Ultimately, its balancing effects help to prevent almost all diseases.
Who should not take Haritaki?
According to Charak Samhita, the following people should not consume Haritaki.
- People suffering from indigestion (here indigestion means inability to digest the food properly).
- Engaged in excessive and regular sexual activities (it also includes excessive masturbation).
- People suffering from starvation, excessive thirst and heat stroke.
- Alcoholic people.
- People who are eating dry and spicy foods.
- Weakness in the body due to the intake of any type of poison.
- Bhava Prakash, Chapter 1, Haritakyadi Varga, Haritaki, Verse 1 – 35.
- Charak Samhita, Chikitsa Sthana, Chapter 1, Part 1, Verse 29 – 37.