Scuppernong Vs Muscadine
- Muscadine is a wide category of grapes that includes many varieties of black and bronze fruits. Scuppernong is a variety of Muscadine.
- That is why, it is said that all Scuppernongs are Muscadines, but not all Muscadines are Scuppernongs.
- Their basic differences are in their relationship, which means one is a cultivar of the other.
- So, one can call any Scuppernong grape a Muscadine, but one cannot call any Muscadine grape a Scuppernong.
- Both Scuppernongs and Muscadines are a grape species and native fruits of the United States of America.
- Muscadines are dark purple in color, whereas Scuppernongs are greenish or bronze in color. In other words, red variety grapes are Muscadines and white variety grapes are Scuppernongs.
- Wine made from Scuppernongs is white in color and wine prepared using Muscadines is known as red wine.
- The inner flesh of Muscadine grape tastes sweet versus the inner flesh of Scuppernong, which is less sweet and more acidic when compared to Muscadines.
- Both these varieties of grapes have unique health properties and they offer an array of health benefits when it comes to health and overall well-being.
- The Resveratrol content of the dark or purple variety grapes is higher than the green or bronze variety. The darker a grape’s skin color, greater is the content of phytonutrients or plant chemicals in it. Resveratrol is a compound that fights against heart diseases and cancer. So, if you want to get an extra dose of Resveratrol, add some Muscadines to your regular diet.
- The bright colored Muscadines contain more antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties versus the green variety of Scuppernong grapes.
- Although both varieties of grapes are good for your health, the darker ones contain more beneficial compounds and health-enhancing properties versus the green or bronze variety. (1, 2, 3)
More About Scuppernong
|Scuppernong Grapes Health Benefits|
|How to Eat Scuppernongs|
|How to make Scuppernong Wine and Health Benefits of Scuppernong Wine|