Scuppernong Wine was the first wine that was produced in the United States of America, during the 18th Century. Scuppernong wine is a wine with fruity flavors of peach and banana. Some sensitive wine tasters may become overwhelmed by its aromatics. On the palate, the wines have a sweet taste with mild acidity.
At the middle-back of the taste, astringency is present, which can be felt around the sides of the mouth. This wine is different from other types of wine available in the market because it is made of true American grapes.
It is advised that Scuppernong wine should be consumed young, due to the wine’s quick oxidative nature.
How to Make Scuppernong Wine
Below mentioned are the ingredients that are required to make Scuppernong wine:
- Scuppernong grapes
- Dry active yeast
Method of Preparation
- Collect ripe Scuppernong grapes of supreme quality, without the presence of cuts, spots, and bruises on it. Remove from the stems and wash them properly. Mash the grapes
- In a large container, dissolve sugar in water. Add mashed Scuppernongs into it and sprinkle dry active yeast on top
- Allow it to stand still for one day and then stir it daily for the next one week
- Strain this liquid and transfer it to another container with an air-tight lock. Add some extra water to it till the entire mixture reaches the top of the container. Allow it to ferment for 6 weeks
- Strain this mixture again and transfer it to another container. Cap it lightly for the next 3 days.
- Your Scuppernong wine is ready. This wine tastes best when chilled
- Store it in a cool place away from the sunlight
Note: Scuppernongs are usually low in sugar, therefore sugar is added to it during the wine-making procedure to bump up the alcohol content.
Health Benefits of Scuppernong Wine
The great benefits of Scuppernong Wine are attributed to its antioxidant and cardioprotective properties. Here are some important health benefits of Scuppernong Wine:
Rich in Antioxidants
The outer thick skin of Scuppernongs is rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals, health-promoting plant chemicals. These powerful antioxidants scavenge the harmful free radicals and protect the healthy cells of the body against damage and death. Consuming such a food source, which is so high in antioxidants guards the body against harmful diseases and disorders, such as:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Heart diseases
- Worsening of diabetes mellitus
It further delays premature aging of the skin and fights signs of skin aging, which include: (1)
- Dark Spots
- Fine lines
Protects the Heart
Scuppernong wine contains plant chemicals that are beneficial for the heart. These compounds lower the risk of heart attack and heart diseases. Certain substances in this kind of wine, such as antioxidants protect the heart cells against damage. (2, 3)
Note: Scuppernong wine is beneficial when consumed in moderation, anything in excess becomes unhealthy.
Very little is known about Scuppernong wines and their ability to fight against cancer. This wine contains certain substances that slow down the growth and multiplication of cancer cells. It suppresses the growth of the tumor and protects the healthy cells of the body against attack from free radicals. Thus, scuppernong wine fights against oxidative stress, which plays a causative role in the onset of cancer. (4)
Having a poor immunity puts you at an increased risk of developing infections and diseases. Scuppernong wine benefits to improve immunity. Antioxidants, flavonoids and other plant compounds present in Scuppernong wine boost the immunity and help in the detoxification of foreign substances. It further enhances the production of immune cells and strengthens the immune system.
More About Scuppernong
|Scuppernong Grapes Health Benefits|
|How to Eat Scuppernongs|
|Scuppernongs vs Muscadine|