Shankhpushpi Syrup Benefits & Side Effects

Shankhpushpi Syrup is an ayurvedic remedy for memory and brainpower. It is beneficial in mental weakness, forgetfulness, memory loss, low retention power etc.

Its main effects are on brain and nerves. It also calms the mind and reduces anxiety, mental stress, work related stress and depression.

Ingredients

Shankhpushpi Syrup contains Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus Pluricaulis) as a primary ingredient. The second main ingredient is Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri).

IngredientQuantity per10 ml
Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus Pluricaulis)200 mg
Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri)50 mg
Sugar (SHARKARA)8000 mg
Citric Acid (NIMBU SATVA)6 mg
WaterQ.S.

These are main ingredients present in Shankhpushpi Syrup manufactured by almost all companies. Some manufacturing companies also add following ingredients to enhance its effectiveness.

Preservatives

Some companies also use preservatives in Shankhpushpi Syrup. These may include following.

• Sodium Methyl Paraben
  • Sodium Propyl Paraben

Medicinal Properties

Shankhpushpi Syrup has following healing properties.

1. Memory booster
  2. Increases mental attention
  3. Increases retention power
  4. Brain Stimulant
  5. Improves learning capabilities
  6. Anti-stress (Stress Reliever)
  7. Antidepressant
  8. Mood Stabilizer
  9. Adaptogenic
  10. Antioxidant
  11. Mind relaxant
  12. Antacid
  13. Anti-hypertensive (mild effects especially in stress related raised blood pressure)

Therapeutic Indications

Shankhpushpi Syrup is helpful in following health conditions.

1. Learning problems
  2. Forgetfulness
  3. Lack of concentration
  4. Mental Fatigue
  5. ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
  6. Delay brain milestones in children
  7. Insomnia
  8. Stress
  9. Anxiety
  10. Depression

Shankhpushpi Syrup is also used as an adjuvant and supportive therapy in following diseases.

• Mental retardation
  • Epilepsy
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • Dementia

Benefits & Uses of Shankhpushpi

The main function of Shankhpushpi Syrup is on the brain. It improves the brain functions and boosts memory.

Intelligence and learning capabilities

Shankhpushpi Syrup is best remedy for improving intelligence and learning capabilities in children. However, this formulation is prepared for only children, but adults can also use for improving memory and older people can use it for preventing dementia and memory loss.

Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus Pluricaulis) and Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) both are brain tonic and memory stimulant. Therefore, it helps reducing forgetfulness and improves retention power of the brain. Both ingredients also improve grasping power and recall ability.

Memory & Brain Power

Shankhpushpi Syrup improves memory and brainpower. The results appear after using it for 3 to 6 months on regular basis.

However, medicines or supplements can only improve alertness, attention span, brain functions, nerve coordination and brain’s retention capability, but these supplements may not change your habits of procrastination. Therefore, daily brain exercises are also required to boost brain capabilities.

Alternatively, one can use the following herbal remedy for enhancing memory and retention power.

HerbsQuantity
Shankhpushpi churna1 gram
Ashwagandha Powder (Withania Somnifera)1 gram
Almond powder2 gram
Mulethi (Yashtimadhu or licorice)1 gram
Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri)250 mg
White pepper125 mg

ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)

It also improves concentration and attention span in children suffering with ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). It reduces distractions by irrelevant stimuli. Thus, it reduces interruption in ongoing tasks.

Mental tension, anxiety and depression

Shankhpushpi Syrup reduces mental tension, helps in anxiety and treats depression. It provides these benefits due to Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri). It is antidepressant, anti-stress and anti-anxiety herb. Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus Pluricaulis) is also effective in these cases because it provides strength to the brain for combating anxiety and depression.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Shankhpushpi can help in following symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder.

• Dizziness
  • Dry mouth
  • Restlessness
  • Headache
  • Sleeplessness
  • Palpitation

If patient has main complaint of tiredness, muscle ache, trembling or shaking, then he requires Ashwagandha along with Shankhpushpi syrup or Shankhpushpi powder. If patient has excessive sweating, dry mouth, palpitation and restlessness, then Mukta Pishti is along with shankhpushpi is more beneficial.

Best RemediesGAD Symptoms
Ashwagandha powderTiredness, Muscle ache, Trembling or shaking
Mukta Pishti (or Praval Pishti, Pana Pishti or Kushta Zamurd)Excessive sweating, Dry mouth, Palpitation or restlessness

DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION

The general dosage of Shankhpushpi Syrup is as follows.
Infants (Up To 1 Year)NOT RECOMMENDED
Children10 ml *
Adults20 ml *
PregnancyNOT RECOMMENDED
Geriatric (Old age)10 ml *
Maximum Possible Dosage40 ml per day in divided doses
* Twice Daily mixing it in a cup of water  preferably after meal

SAFETY PROFILE

The main ingredients of Shankhpushpi Syrup are Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus Pluricaulis) and Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri), which are LIKELY SAFE. Shankhpushpi Syrup contains water extracts of Shankhpushpi and Brahmi. According to most of studies conducted on Shankhpushpi extract and Brahmi extract, these are safe even in larger doses than as used in Shankhpushpi Syrup.

Side Effects

There are no side effects reported with recommended dosage of Shankhpushpi Syrup.

54 Comments
  1. Valda says

I always enjoy your articles. I am from Perth, Australia. Shakha Pushpi Syrup is not available here in herbal store. Can you suggest any alternative to Shankha pushpi syrup that can increase memory and improve attention span & concentration?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Bacopa Monnieri standardized extract capsules are good alternative to Shakha pushpi syrup. It improves memory, increases attention span and helps building concentration. It is also available on many stores online. You can easily get this herbal supplement in AUS.

2. Rajat says

How many times I have to consume Shankhpushpi.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Two times a day will be sufficient.

1. Nagaraja says

Sir, I am medical student suffering from low memory power, so give me solution please.

Go to Benefits & Medicinal Uses -> Memory & Brain Power
          The alternative remedy given under this heading will help you a lot.

3. suresh says

I’m a student, suffering from low memory power. When I read anything, then I remember it for a very little time and after some time, I forgot it. this is very serious problem for me please suggest me.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The following herbal remedies enhance memory and retention power.

1. Ashwagandha Powder (Withania Somnifera) = 1 gram
      2. Almond powder = 2 grams
      3. Shankhpushpi churna = 1 grams
      4. Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) = 250 mg
      5. White pepper = 125 mg
      6. Mulethi (Yashtimadhu or licorice) = 1 gram

This remedial combination helps increasing memory and retention power. One can use it twice a day with warm milk.

4. Pushpendra says

Does Shankhpushpi syrup improve brain powder?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Yes. shankhpushpi syrup improves brain power and memory.

5. Sudipta Kr. Ghosh says

Kind attention to Dr. Jagdev Singh

6. Sandip says

My son is 11 years old and studying in class 6. He is not paying attention properly in his studies and whenever he is taught something, he is remain little bit absent-minded and forget whatever he is studying.

But when he was 10 year old, he is not like so absent-minded like this year.

Is Shankhpushpi syrup/powder helpful to building up his concentration as well as memory power? Is there any side effect for consuming this syrup?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

This remedy will help: Herbal remedies enhance memory and retention power in such case.

There are no side effects reported with Shankhpushpi Syrup or powder.

7. jeff says

I am considering buying the Shankhpushpi capsules from amazon.com. The dosage is 500 mg. Is this dosage too much?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The dosage of Shankhpushpi powder is 1 to 3 grams twice or thrice a day.

The dosage of Shankhpushpi extract is 250 to 500 mg twice or thrice a day.

Shankhpushpi capsules contain either crude herb powder or extract. In both cases, the dosage is appropriate for adults if taken twice a day.The dosage if appropriate for children as well if taken once a day.

8. shital patel says

My kitchen garden I have a Brahmi plant and at my farm above pic. Plant like a Shankh-pushpi does I used leave for juice and dry powder.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Shankhpushpi leaves juice and dry powders both are beneficial. Juice has quick results and considered more potent than powder.

9. Chalasani says

I’m 18 years old! Do Shankhpushpi tablets help me improve concentration? Please suggest me if it’s better to take tablets or syrup.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Shankhpushpi syrup and tablets both are beneficial for improving concentration, but in addition to this, one should also take Bacopa Monnieri (Brahmi) – 500 mg twice daily for better results.

10. Vandana says

My baby is one year old. Can we start Shankhpushpi syrup?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Shankhpushpi syrup can be given to children over the age of one, but when it is recommended for therapeutic purposes. In this age, supplemental use of Shankhpushpi syrup may not be a good decision and not advisable.

11. Ashish says

My son is 3 and half year old. He is suffering from mild autism. He is having delayed speech, little hyperactivity and less concentration. I have procured Shankhpushpi powder. How much doses I can give him. Secondly, should I mix other herbs like Brahmi, Ashwagandha etc?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Shankhpushpi powder alone may not work, but following combination can be better.
      1. Shankhpushpi powder = 250 mg
      2. Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri) = 100 mg
      3. Ashwagandha = 100 mg
      4. Mandukaparni (Centella Asiatica) = 100 mg
      5. Jatamansi = 50 mg
      6. Mukta Pishti = 50 mg
      This combination should be mixed given ratio and given twice a day.

1. Nanda says

Hi, my son is 9 years old. He is in the autism spectrum disorder (moderate). You have mentioned few herbs in the above mail as a remedy. Should the above-mentioned quantity be given as a single dose twice a day or is there any other ratio? Even I want to try the combination of shankhpushpi, Brahmi, ashwagandha, mandukaparni, jatamansi and Mukta pishti for my son. Kindly help.
        Thanks and regards,
        Nanda

12. firewall breaker says

I live abroad and here Shankhpushpi is not available. It’s just last week, I saw in store. I want to know is it ok if I can buy them in bulk because I am not sure if that will be available soon or not? The box says expiry is after 3 years from manufacture. The MFD date is 2/14. I was thinking if I could but 6-7 bottles to have supply for next 2-3 years. Is that ok? How much does 225ml bottle last for?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

225 ml bottle will last for 10 to 12 days if taken in dosage of 2 tsp. (i.e. approx. 10 ml) twice daily.

13. savvy says

Sir, I’m suffering from depression and have no concentration and memory loss. I’m 25 yrs old can I recover from this major problem? How can I get rid from this serious problem? What should I do? Is Shankhpushpi is beneficial for me?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

I hope Shankhpushpi Syrup would be beneficial, but you should consult with local ayurvedic doctor.

14. Sandeep says

Sir, I am 17 years old. How much ml should I take for memory power? Please suggest.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

20 ml twice daily will be sufficient dosage for teenagers. Read More Details: Dosage & Administration

15. Deepak Goswami says

Sir,
    I am M. Tech in software engineering 1st year student. My problems are learning, forgetfulness; my memory is not fast to catch any subject so I am very upset this reason. plz help me.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

The remedy given under heading of Memory & Brain Power in above article will be highly beneficial for increasing memory, learning capacity, attention span and reducing forgetfulness and stress.

16. Ajit kumar says

Does Shankhpushpi also help in speech and stammering or stuttering disorder?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Shankhpushpi is less likely effective in stammering. The specific remedies for this are Saraswatarishta, Kalyana Lehyam, Vacha (Acorus Calamus) etc.

17. Praveen Kumar Sharma says

Hi
    This is very usefull site. I apreciate you for this work.

Regards

18. Praveen Kumar Sharma says

I am suffering constipation since 2006. Actually, I am using Trifala daily in the morning, then only I am going for fresh otherwise I cannot go to toilet. Please guide me.

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

Triphala is safe to use long-term. However, the way of taking Triphala should be changed. You can use Triphala Rasayana for 6 months and then gradually decrease the dosage to get rid of chronic constipation.

In addition to Triphala Rasayana, include at least 750 grams fruits, vegetables, and salad per day in your diet. Drink a glass of warm water 60 minutes before meal and 3 hours after meal. I hope it will help.

19. bhoomika gupta says

How much dose of Shankhpushpi Syrup can be given to two and half year old child with Down syndrome and delayed milestones? Which other herbs should be used along with it?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

5 ml Shankhpushpi Syrup twice daily is an appropriate dosage for 2 to 3 years old child. Kalyana Churna is also helpful in such case.

20. Sukesh says

Can you please suggest few companies, brands or stores to buy it? I don’t want to buy any local or unofficial product and harm myself.
    Thank you.

1. Dabur
      2. Baidyanath

21. neeraj says

does it improves liver function

22. ujwala says

My son is 8 yrs old having a complex rare eye condition called Nystagmus. His vision is 6/24. Can I use Shankhpushpi and in which form (syrup/powder) and in what quantity?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

I am not sure if Shankhpushpi in any form will be effective for Nystagmus. It can be used as a general tonic to strengthen the nervous system.

In Ayurveda, Akshi Tarpana (Netra Tarpana) with Triphala Ghrita should be very effective. Nasya with Anu Thailam should also be effective. Internally, Maha Triphala Ghrita is very useful.

For more details, you should visit any ayurvedic clinic with the facility of Panchakarma Treatment.

23. hasibur rahaman says

Does Shankhpushpi work in nerve problem?

1. Dr. Jagdev Singh says

There is a wide range of problems under “Nerve Problem”. It should work in most cases of disorders related to nerves, but it might have a mild action. It would be better to be specific and consult your physician.

24. Lakshmi says

Hi Sir,
    I am a regular user of Shankupushpi Syrup of a branded company.But i saw that ingredients showing some sodium Propl parabe which causes cancer. So would it causes cancer when i uses regulaly?

25. Ammar says

Can you please confirm if you deliver abroad. If yes then what is the procedure?

26. Navjot says

Sir, I am male 32 years old.
    Sir, my symptoms are palpitations, choking, shaking of left hand, irregular movement of left hand, and while it happens my whole body goes numb, but I remain conscious and after this the left hand and back side of left part of my body muscles contract.

Sir, some says it’s a panic attack and some says it is convulsion (kind of related to epilepsy.)

Sir, could you please guide me what it is really?

27. Pratyush Singh says

Respected Sir,
    I am student and I want know that the doesese should be taken of Brahmi Shankpushpi syrup for the age between (17-18) years old person ?

28. Radha singh says

Please help me because I want to ask that if shankhpuspi syrup ceel is break it is safe upto one month is there any side effects after one month of breaking ceel