Sour Taste in Mouth
Sour taste in mouth occurs due to the raised acid production in the stomach. Sour mouth can have many other underlying causes and triggering factors.
Table of Contents
What causes sour taste in mouth?
Sour taste in mouth causes are given below:
- Acid Reflux
- Diseases of gums
- Diseases that affect brain or nerves
- Dryness of mouth
- Excessive consumption of Sour foods
- Side effects of drugs
- Vitamin Deficiencies
Many people also feel sour taste in back of mouth and throat. Some people feel sour taste in mouth in the morning, which generally occurs due to increased acid secretion in the morning.
Rule out following things
- Are you taking antifungal drugs? Antifungal medicines such as metronidazole can lead to sour taste in the mouth.
- Do you have taken recent antibiotic treatment? Some strong antibiotic drugs can cause sour mouth or sour throat.
- Blocked sinuses containing pus can lead to sour mouth, so rule out sinusitis.
- Patients with Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and other psychological or neurological diseases can experience sour taste. The exact cause of sour taste in these diseases is yet unknown.
- Bad oral hygiene can lead to sour taste.
- Excess use of tea, caffeine, cocaine and tobacco can cause sour mouth.
- Injuries to nerves or brain can lead to sour taste.
- If you are suffering with depression, stress disorders or anxiety, it may also be a cause of sour taste in the mouth.
Sour milk taste in mouth
Sour milk taste in mouth occurs due to consuming scrambled eggs and other animal products. However, do not confuse with milk, milk does not cause sour taste in mouth.
Sour taste in mouth during pregnancy
Sour taste or metallic sour taste in the mouth during pregnancy is a common pregnancy symptom. It generally occurs in the first trimester of pregnancy.
Changes in hormones and pregnancy hormones play a role in causing this problem, but it is normal for many women, so nothing to worry about. It will disappear after first three months of pregnancy.
Sour taste in throat
Sour taste in throat has similar causes and it is associated with sour mouth.
Sour metallic taste in mouth
Sour metallic taste occurs due to iron and calcium supplements. It may also occur with the use of other medicines. Chemotherapy, medicines used for the treatment of fungal infections, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, anemia, gout and neurological diseases can lead to sour metallic taste in the mouth.
Sour taste in mouth after eating
If you experience sour taste in mouth after eating, your foods can cause this. You need to check your foods and make a list of foods, which cause sour taste. Some people also experience sour taste on the tongue, which occurs due to sour food products.
The most common reason of sour taste in mouth after eating is gastrointestinal acid reflux syndrome. Your stomach may produce excess acid, which leaks out into the food canal. It may results in sour taste in mouth. It is also a cause of constant sour taste in the mouth.
How to get rid of sour taste in mouth
The following tips and ways can help you to get rid of sour taste in the mouth.
- Decrease amount of hot and pungent spices such as peppers, cayenne pepper, curry powder and chili powder.
- Decrease foods that cause acidity. These foods include milk products, especially sour yogurt, brinjal, cauliflower, scrambled eggs and other animal products.
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water, but do not drink 30 minutes before and 2 hours after eating main meals.
- Get proper a diagnosis and treatment of GERD if present.
- Seek a consultation for dental problems to rule out the underlying dental cause.
- Quit smoking and stop using tobacco.
- Stop taking alcohol.
- Decrease intake of citrus fruits.
- Take fruits like apple, guava, papaya, berries, pineapple etc.
Home remedies for sour taste in mouth
The following home remedies help in treating sour mouth.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Put cinnamon powder in 1-liter water and boil it.
- Strain the liquid and this liquid is called cinnamon water.
Gargle with cinnamon water. It helps to reduce sour taste in the mouth.
Eating cloves helps to get rid of sour taste. You can chew one two cloves and keep them in your mouth for some time. It helps reducing sour mouth and sour throat.
Chewing peppermint leaves help getting rid of bad taste and sour taste in the mouth. You can also drink its tea for more benefits.
- Take a handful of peppermint leaves.
- Boil in a glass of water.
- Strain the tea and throw away residues.
- Drink this tea two times a day.
Licorice or Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) is the best remedy for sour mouth. It is sweet in taste and it reduces excess acid secretion in the stomach. It is proven remedy for sour throat. You should take its powder not the extract. Licorice root powder is much effective in sour taste of the mouth.
- Take a half teaspoon of licorice powder in between meal. For example, you are eating two chapattis with veggie, then take licorice powder after eating one chapatti and then eat another chapatti.
- You can also drink licorice tea along with meal.
- Take 1 teaspoon of licorice.
- Add licorice powder in a glass of water.
- Boil it and simmer the water with licorice for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool down and add honey when it becomes warm.
- Drink this warm licorice tea twice a day 30 minutes before meal.
According to our experience, licorice remedy is more beneficial and effective in sour taste in the mouth than other remedies.
Sour taste in mouth treatment
The treatment of sour mouth or sour throat depends on the underlying causes. In general, the following medical treatment can help.
- Identify the cause and abstain from all those things.
- Antacid, Antihistamines and Decongestants medicines can help.
- Menthol steam inhalation can help to get rid of sour taste in the mouth.