Swine Flu is a respiratory viral infection caused by in swine influenza viruses (SIV). Swine influenza viruses (SIV) infect the cell linings of upper respiratory tract including nose, throat and lungs. It is contagious disease and spreads like common cold or seasonal flu.
When an infected person cough up or sneeze, the tiny drops or droplets with SIV are sprayed in into the air. You can catch infection from these droplets when you breathe in this air and touch a surface infected with these droplets.
Other Names of Swine Flu
- Hog flu
- Pig influenza
- Pig flu
- Swine influenza
- H1N1 flu
Swine flu symptoms and signs are similar to seasonal flu. Here is a list.
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Body ache
However, all these symptoms are similar to common cold and seasonal flu. Here is a chart for their deep differentiation.
|Symptom||Swine Flu||Common Cold||Seasonal Flu|
|Runny or Stuffy Nose||Occasional||Very Common||Occasional|
|Cough||Frequently dry cough & intense cough (It may become productive due to presence of secondary infection)||Most commonly productive or moist cough||Dry Cough (Sometimes productive cough is also present)|
|Fever||Common||Uncommon in Adults, but Children may have fever||Very Common|
|Itching In Eyes||Uncommon||Common||Uncommon|
|Fatigue||Very Common||Mild||Very Common|
|Sore Throat||Very Common||Uncommon||Common, but mild symptom|
|Body Pains||Severe Body aches||Uncommon||Severe|
|Diarrhea||About 10% Swine Flu patients may have loose stools||Not Present||Uncommon in adults, but children may suffer from loose stools|
|Vomiting||About 10% Swine Flu patients may have vomiting||Not Present||Uncommon in adults, but children may suffer from nausea or vomiting|
|Incubation Period||1 to 4 days||2 to 3 days||1 to 4 days (average 2 days)|
|Contagiousness||1 day prior to appearance of symptoms to 7 days after onset of symptoms||1 to 5 days||1 to 7 days|
Swine flu can be fatal for people with depressed immune system. Therefore, immunity enhancer remedies can also help you for prevention as well as in the treatment of swine flu.
Home Remedies for Swine flu (H1N1 flu) Prevention
Camphor and menthol
According to the review published in ADVANCES AND APPLICATIONS IN BIOINFORMATICS AND CHEMISTRY (AABC), Camphor and menthol have moderate inhibitory effects for H1N1 neuraminidase. The inhibition of viral (H1N1) neuraminidase blocks SIALIC ACID cleavage and prevents multiplication of viruses on host cells. (1, 2)
We can use both camphor and menthol for prevention and treatment of Swine Flu. These medicines are already in use for seasonal flu and common cold. These helps in easy breathing, reduces blockage of nose, and gives relief from sneezing.
How to Use
- Take 3 grams camphor and 3 grams menthol. Do not grind them, but take crystals.
- Take a handkerchief and keep camphor and menthol crystals in a handkerchief.
- Smell your handkerchief with camphor and menthol once every 3 to 4 hours.
Burning camphor like HAVANA in Hindus can also help killing viruses and other microbes. It is traditional method belongs to Indian religions used for purification of air.
Some people suggest ingesting camphor about 125 mg sized tablet once or twice a month. Ingesting camphor may have many adverse effects, so we do not recommend you doing this without a proper medical supervision.
Cardamom seeds, Black Pepper & Cinnamon
Cardamom seeds and black pepper mixture have immuno-modulatory effects. Both promotes and preserve healthy immune system. We can use both to enhance immunity against tumors, cancers and viral infections including swine flu. (3)
Cinnamon also improves immune response of human body and helps fighting off various infections and diseases.
Sitopaladi Churna, an ayurvedic formulation, also contains three these spices, which has immuno-modulatory effects. This formulation is used for cough, common cold and other respiratory diseases.
How to use
|Cardamom seeds||1 grams|
|Black Pepper||250 mg|
Take all three ingredients in a powdered form. Mix them and eat with honey twice a day.
This therapy improves immune system, but may or may not prevent swine flu. Some people may have this myth that it can surely prevent swine flu, but there are no evidences available regarding this. No doubt, this mixture can enhance your immunity and it is very helpful in common cold and seasonal flu. In flu, this mixture reduces runny nose, watery eyes, itching eyes, nasal congestion, headache and fever.
Tulsi or Basil (Ocimum sanctum)
It can also reduce sore throat and nasal congestion. It is also helpful in reducing chest congestion. It can also prevent secondary infections in almost all types of influenza infections.
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
Giloy (Guduchi) can improve immunity and prevents viral as well bacterial infections. However, we do not have any evidence for its effectiveness in swine flu, but it improves immunity, which ultimately helps you to fights against a several diseases including swine flu. (6, 7)
How to Use
You can eat a half-teaspoon giloy stem powder with warm water. 5 to 10 ml giloy juice can also be helpful.
The following precautions can help you to avoid swine flu.
- Keep a safe distance from people with symptoms of flu like nasal congestion, sneezing or coughing.
- Do not share your handkerchief.
- Do not share eyeglasses, forks and foods.
- In your house, ventilation should be proper, so air can pass on and your room can get a proper fresh air every time.
- Disinfect or sterilize kid’s toys regularly at least once every three days.
- Disinfect kitchen countertops with a proper cleansing solution.
- If you have any sign of flu especially high fever, persistent cough, muscle pain and headache, consult your doctor immediately.
- Eat vegetables and fruits rice in Vitamin A and C. These include carrots, orange, amla (Indian gooseberry), papaya, pineapple, lime lemon, and tangerine.
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- When you travel outside, you should have alcohol based hand sanitizer. Use it regularly to avoid touch contact with swine flu viruses.
- Avoid touching your nose, eyes and mouth frequently with your hands without sterilizing or washing them.
- A good sleep and rest can also help to build up immunity against infections.
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids like fruits juices etc.