As the name suggests, Tamari Almonds are a preparation of almonds in tamari soy sauce. Tamari soy sauce is chiefly used in Japanese province. It is a wheat free soy sauce. Tamari soy sauce has a much thicker consistency than ordinary soy sauce. Tamari soy sauce is not much processed and does not have many preservatives. Hence, it has always remained a healthy choice amongst health enthusiasts.
The tamari almonds are popular snack all over the world. People have it in various forms. Few have it sprinkled over salads or ice creams or some have it as it is.
Table of Contents
How to make Tamari Almonds
Tamari almonds are usually dry roasted, in order to remove the slightest of oil or moisture content from them. Secondly, they cannot be prepared in a bulk, but have to be prepared in small batches because each nut needs attention, as if even a single nut has moisture then the whole batch can get spoilt.
- Almonds = 100 grams
- Tamari Sauce = ¼ cup
- Sugar = ½ tsp sugar
Preheat oven to 300 °F.
The almonds to be dry roasted in the oven. The nuts need to be baked for around 1-5 minutes.
Make a mixture of Tamari Sauce and sugar (for every ¼ cup of Tamari, mix ½ tsp sugar). The mixture needs to be stirred and mixed until the sugar dissolves.
Now add the dry roasted almonds in the mixture and again stir well. It is advisable if the almonds are added hot out of the oven. After mixing well, let the mixture rest for a few minutes, so that the flavor soaks in the nuts as well.
Now again bake the nuts flavored with the sauce in the oven for around 10-15 minutes. After that period, again turn the nuts and bake for another 10-15 minutes. While baking the almonds, it has to be ensured that the almonds are not dipped in excessive sauce; the extra sauce needs to be dripped off.
By now, the nuts would be well roasted and of a golden brown and dark color. The nuts are ready to eat now. You can also just cut a nut and check that the nuts have turned golden from inside as well.
The nuts will emanate a nice roasted and salty flavor.
The storing is not a big hassle. The nuts can just be kept in a moisture free and airtight jar. The nuts have a good shelf life, so they can remain good for a very long time.
Tamari nuts are not easily available. They are also very costly over the counters. Hence, people prefer making them at home.
Benefits of Tamari Almonds
The nuts give many health benefits. Few of them are enlisted below:
- Saturated Fat content is very low: The Tamari Almonds have low saturated fat content in them. It is beneficial for cholesterol control and adipose accumulation. Thus, this helps in weight control and gives a healthy heart. Almonds are advantageous for maintaining the blood pressure.
- High fiber content: The almonds have a very good content of fibers. This helps to a great extent in the digestion process.
- Good amount of antioxidants: The Tamari Almonds have an excellent composition of antioxidants namely vitamin E. Vitamin E is very good for skin health and also protecting the body against the attack of oxidants and free radicals, which play a major role in aging.
- High content of minerals: The tamari almonds have a very good content of minerals namely potassium and magnesium. They have a major role to play in the metabolism in the body and to maintain the health of the bones as well as the muscles.
- Low calorific value: The tamari almonds have a very low calorific value which in return very good for health and fitness.