The formulations described in Charaka Samhita, which mainly contain Triphala as a major ingredient and beneficial for rejuvenative purposes and useful in preventive medicine, are known as Triphala Rasayana (त्रिफला रसायन).
In ayurveda, Rasayana therapy is a crucial part of preventive health and it is also used for treating some age related problems. Triphala Rasayana is one of the best Rasayana formulations and ancient sages were using it for keeping themselves healthy, active and disease free. It staves off many diseases and let person to live a healthy and a longer life. (Charaka Samhita).
Triphala Rasayana reduces blockage of micro and major channels in the body, cleans the alimentary canal especially intestines, it flushes out toxins (AMA), and preserves the natural functions of several organs in the body. It lowers the tendency of falling ill. The main action of Triphala Rasayana is observable on abdomen. It reduces feeling of heaviness in the abdomen, helps easier passage of fecal matter, and improves absorption and assimilation of nutrients in the body. It also has immunostimulatory effects, which prevents common diseases. (Reference)
Triphala Rasayana Preparations, Usage & Advantages
There are four different ayurvedic formulations of Triphala Rasayana and different ways to use it that are given in Charaka Samhita:-
Triphala Rasayana – 1
The most common and well-known method is –
- Take Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) Churna, which should be equivalent to 1 Haritaki Fruit pulp after digestion of food (i.e. approx. 3 hours after meal) or on empty stomach in the early morning.
- Take Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellerica) Churna, which should be equivalent to 2 Bibhitaki Fruit pulp just before meal or before lunch
- Take Amla (Emblica Officinalis) Churna, which should be equivalent to 4 Amalaki Fruit pulp just after food or after dinner
Adjuvant: According to Charaka Samhita, This Rasayana should be taken mixing with unequal amount of honey and Ghee.
Duration of Use: It should be continued for a year for maximum health benefits.
Benefits: Charaka said that it helps preventing all diseases, improves quality of life and increases the lifespan.
Triphala Rasayana – 2
- Take Triphala Churna.
- Make Triphala paste using water and apply it on new iron vessel.
- Leave it for day and night i.e. 24 hours and then collect it from the iron vessel and mix it in honey and 250 ml water to make Sharbat (Indian sweet beverage).
- Drink it in the morning on empty stomach.
- This should be continued for a year.
The dosage of Triphala and its adjuvant honey and water is not given in Charaka Samhita, so its quality can be used as follows:
|Triphala Churna||5 to 10 grams|
|Honey||1 to 2 teaspoons|
|Water||200 to 250 ml|
Duration of Use: 1 Year
Benefits: It prevents diseases, slows down the process of aging, improves quality of life and maintains health. It is also good for eyes and improves hemoglobin level.
Triphala Rasayana – 3
Third formulation of Triphala Rasayana contains following ingredients:
|Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) – Licorice – Glycyrrhiza Glabra||20%|
|Pippali (Piper Longum)||20%|
|Misri (Sugar candy)||20%|
The above mixture should be taken with unequal amount of Honey (10 grams) and Ghee (5 grams) according to digestive capacity of the person (most suitable 1 teaspoon or around 4 to 5 grams).
Duration of Use: 1 Year
Benefits: It improves digestion, assimilation of food, reduces gastritis, and improves liver functions. It also provides similar benefits as Triphala Rasayana – 2.
Triphala Rasayana – 4
This formulation contains:
- Triphala Powder.
- Sarva Lauh (सर्व लौह) – Kanta Loha Bhasma.
- Swarna Bhasma.
- Vacha (Acorus Calamus).
- Rock Salt (Sendha Namak).
The proportion of above ingredients is not given. According to ayurvedic principles, all ingredients should be mixed in equal proportion, but it may not be suitable for most of people in these days. Nowadays, the following proportion should be best.
|Triphala Powder||3 grams|
|Kanta Loha Bhasma or 1000 Puti Lauh Bhasma||100 mg|
|Swarna Bhasma||25 mg|
|Vacha (Acorus Calamus)||500 mg|
|Rock Salt (Sendha Namak)||250 mg|
It is the single dose. You should use it making paste in Honey (10 grams) and Ghee (5 grams). The best time to take it is in the morning on empty stomach.
Note: We consider Kanta Loha Bhasma as Sarva Lauh (सर्व लौह). This is an accurate interpretation. Some authors mistakenly consider that Sarva Lauh (सर्व लौह) includes Swarna Bhasma, Loha Bhasma, Rajat Bhasma (Raupya Bhasma), Tamra Bhasma, Bang Bhasma, Naga Bhasma and Jasad Bhasma. These metals are not suitable for long-term use. Secondly, most of these Bhasmas are not Rasayana Medicine.
Triphala Rasayana – 4 has 5 major benefits:
It improves intelligence, brain power, memory, and strength. It also provides similar benefits as Triphala Rasayana – 2.
- जरणान्तेऽभयामेकां प्राग्भुक्ताद् द्वे विभीतके। भुक्त्वा तु मधु सर्पिभर्या चत्वार्यामलकानि च ॥४१॥ प्रयोजयन् समामेकां त्रिफलाया रसायनम्। जीवेद्वर्षशतं पूर्णमजरोऽव्याधिरेव च ॥४२॥ (इति त्रिफला रसायनम्)
- त्रैफलेनायसीं पात्रीं कल्केनालेपयेन्नवाम्। तमहोरात्रिकं लेपं पिबेत् क्षौद्रोदकाप्लुतम्॥४३॥ प्रभूतस्त्रेहमशनं जीणें तत्र प्रशस्यते। अजरोऽरुक् समाभ्यासाज्जीवेच्चैव समा:शतम्॥४४॥ (इति त्रिफला रसायनमपरम्।)
- मधुकेन तुगाक्षीय पिप्पल्या क्षौद्रसर्पिषा। त्रिफला सितया चापि युक्ता सिद्धं रसायनम् ॥४५॥ (इति त्रिफला रसायनमपरम्।)
- सर्वलौहैः सुवर्णेन वचया मधुसर्पिषा। विडङ्ग पिप्पलीभ्यां च त्रिफला लवणेन च ॥४६॥ संवत्सरप्रयोगेण मेधा स्मृति बल प्रदा।। भवत्यायुःप्रदा धन्या जरा रोग निबर्हणी॥४७॥ (इति त्रिफला रसायनमपरम्)
- Charak Samhita, Chikitsa Sthana, Chapter 1, Path 3, Verse 41-47.