Varanadi Kashayam Benefits, Uses, Dosage & Side Effects
Varanadi Kashayam is herbal formulation used in ayurveda for the treatment of urinary disorders, skin diseases and obesity.
Varanadi Kashayam has capacity to correct the digestion and metabolism. It helps in fatty liver, belly fat and central obesity. In skin diseases, it is beneficial to reduce itching. Therefore, it can be helpful in eczema and dermatitis.
Varanadi Kashayam contains following ingredients.
- Crataeva nurvala (Varuna)
- Asparagus racemosus (Shatavari)
- Plumbago zeylanica (Chitrak)
- Strobilanthes ciliatus (Sairyaka)
- Chonemorpha fragrans (Moorva)
- Aegle marmelos (Bael or Bilva or golden apple)
- Aristolochia bracteolate (Vishanika, Kiramar)
- Solanum melongena (Brihati)
- Aerua lanata (Bhadra)
- Pongamia glabra (Karanja)
- Holoptelia integrifolia (Pootikaranja)
- Premna corymbosa (Jaya)
- Terminalia chebula (Hareetki)
- Moringa oleifera (Sahijan, Bahalapallava)
- Desmostachya bipinnata (Kush, Darbha)
- Semecarpus anacardium (Agnimukh, Rujakara, Marking Nut)
Varanadi Kashayam has following healing properties.
- Uricostatic (inhibits uric acid production)
- Anti-lithogenic (inhibits stone formation in kidneys)
Varanadi Kashayam is beneficial in following diseases.
Heart & Blood
- High cholesterol levels
Lungs & Airways
- Breathing troubles in obese people or Obesity hypoventilation syndrome
- Asthma (chest congestion)
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal distension
- Fatty liver
Muscle, Bones & Joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Prostate enlargement
- Obesity (central obesity or excess belly fat)
- External abscess and internal abscess
- Lassitude or sleeping sickness
Benefits & Medicinal Uses
Varanadi Kashayam works on KAPHA DOSHA and VATA DOSHA, according to ayurveda. It also increases the PITTA DOSHA, which means it produces heat in the body. Its main action is on PITTA, which means it increases digestive fire, improves metabolic activities in the body and corrects cellular energy.
Obesity (Weight Loss)
Varanadi Kashayam is drug of choice for losing weight in ayurveda. It increases metabolic rate and helps burning fat fast. Unlike Guggul, it may not have affect on natural death of fat cells, but it influence burning of fats and treats malabsorption syndrome. Theoretically, Varanadi Kashayam should increase the appetite, but practically it does not occur in all cases. Some patients reported initially increase in their appetite and suppression of appetite after a week of its use. Initial increase in appetite may be due to its effect on metabolism and digestion in the body.
Lower dosage of Varanadi Kashayam can help almost all types of headache. We found it more effective in headache with dull pain and heaviness in the head. In other cases, Pathyadi Kwath and Itrifal Ustukhuddus are more beneficial.
High cholesterol levels & Atherosclerosis
Varanadi Kashayam works on KAPHA humour. According to ayurveda, Atherosclerosis and High cholesterol levels develop due to excess intake of KAPHA foods. Varanadi Kashayam reduces cholesterol and triglycerides. It also stops atherosclerotic process by arresting the plaque accumulation and reducing inflammation of the blood vessels. In fact, low-grade inflammation of the blood vessels is main cause of developing atherosclerosis. Thus, it also helps preventing coronary artery disease and arteriosclerotic vascular disease (ASVD or Atherosclerosis).
Asthma with congestion and excess mucus production
You should note that Varanadi Kashayam would not work in breathing troubles in which excess sputum production is not involved. In asthma or breathing troubles where excess sputum is main concern, Varanadi Kashayam is very effective in such cases.
Breathlessness due to obesity
Varanadi Kashayam reduces fats and KAPHA element in the body, which provides ease in breathing. Along with Varanadi Kashayam, one should also do exercises to strengthen the respiratory muscles and reducing fats quickly. Heavy exercises are not suitable in such conditions, so you can start with light exercises, which you can do easily and then slowly increases exercise intensity.
Fatty liver syndrome is related to the obesity in most cases. With the similar reasons explained above, Varanadi Kashayam reduces the fats from the liver and improves liver functions. It is also helpful in hepatitis, jaundice, alcoholic hepatitis and loss of appetite due to liver disorders.
- Varanadi Kashayam Syrup (readymade): 10 to 20 ml added in warm water 30 minutes before meal
- Varanadi Kashayam Tablets: 1 to 2 tablets with warm water an hour before meal
- Varanadi Kwath: 20 ml to 40 ml before meal
Caution & Side Effects
Varanadi Kashayam is POSSIBLY SAFE & WELL-TOLERATED in most people. The unwise and unsupervised use can result in following side effects.
A few side effects are here.
- Mouth ulcer (very common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Heartburn (common and occurs with heavy dosage)
- Loss of appetite (however, Varanadi Kashayam increases appetite, but appetite loss occurs in people with gastritis and ulcer or heat disorders)
- Excessive thirst
People with PITTA PRAKIRTI or people with history of heartburn, gastritis, ulcer or heat disorders should not use Varanadi Kashayam.