Kidney failure is now becoming common worldwide. In India, the majority of cases are reported and the common thing that we have observed that they are taking painkillers or antibiotic drugs regularly.
Ayurveda was blamed for this disease by major institutes of India due to heavy metals based bhasma in ayurvedic medicines, but the facts are not supporting this. Many of patients are not taking ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of common diseases. A few patients with kidney failure have admitted the use of ayurvedic medicines for impotency. Some of ayurvedic medicines should be limited in use including NAGA BHASMA or medicines in which it is a common ingredient.
Most of cases of kidney failure are reported after the modern allopathic treatments, but modern physicians are not ready to admit this thing.
Indian patient and doctor psychology is mainly responsible for kidney failure. People are seeking instant relief from disease and they do not give time to doctor. They just change the doctor after every two days. It leads to antibiotic resistance and frequent changes in treatment cause over dosage of these drugs. Doctor’s psychology is giving very strong drugs to patient in initial steps and they do not wait because patient will leave them after one or two days if not got the result or relief. It is also a common reason for prescribing steroids in India by RMPs.
Kidney failure can occur due to common antibiotics, painkillers, antacid drugs, Antiviral drugs, Rheumatoid arthritis drugs, Anticonvulsants and Chemotherapy drugs.
Which medicines can lead to kidney failure?
- Acetominophen (Paracetamol)
In addition to these medicines, many other medicines used for pain can cause kidney failure.
However, this class of drugs is safer for stomach, but these medicines can result in kidney failure.
Heartburn drugs or Antacids (Proton pump inhibitor class)
- Acyclovir (herpes infection medicine)
- Indinavir (HIV medicine)
- Tenofovir (HIV medicine)
Antihypertensive drugs (used to lower blood pressure)
Rheumatoid arthritis drugs
- Chloroquine (also malaria drug)
- Hydroxychloroquine (also malaria drug)
- Mitomycin C
- Anti-thyroid drugs such as propylthiouracil can lead to kidney failure. It is used to manage overactive thyroid.
- Lithium, which is used to manage bipolar disorder.
- Diuretics (water pills) causing dehydration
Can ayurvedic medicines cause kidney failure?
Yes, a few medicines given below can lead to kidney failure. These medicines should not be consumed more than 40 days continuously.
These medicines include:
- Naga Bhasma or medicines that contain Naga Bhasma as an ingredient
- Rasa medicines (if taken more than 40 days), especially Ras Sindoor, Makardwaj vati, Sameerpanga Ras, Asthmurti Rasyana etc.
- Painkillers and the Kidneys
- PAIN MEDICINES (ANALGESICS), Can analgesics hurt kidneys?
- Nephrotoxicity of aminoglycoside antibiotics
- Kidney failure related to broad-spectrum antibiotics
- Antibiotic-induced acute renal failure
- Acute renal failure after antibiotic