Chitrakadi Vati (Gutika)
Chitrakadi Vati (also called Chitrakadi Gutika) is an ayurvedic and herbal medicine used for its digestive and detoxifying actions. It helps digest the undigested food particles and removes the toxins accumulated in the body due to malabsorption of the food. In ayurveda, AMA (a toxin developed in the body due to malabsorption of food particles) is a main cause of several diseases. Chitrakadi Vati mainly acts on AMA toxin and help digesting and eliminating it and reducing its effects on the body. Therefore, Chitrakadi Vati is useful in all diseases in which AMA is a main underlying cause.
Table of Contents
|Ingredients||Quantity (Percentage)||250 mg Chitrakadi Tablet Contains|
|Chitrak – Plumbago Zeylanica||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Ajmoda (Celery) – Apium Graveolens||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Black Pepper – Piper Nigrum||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Chavya (Java Long Pepper) – Piper Chaba||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Hing – Asafoetida||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Pippali (Long pepper fruit) – Piper Longum||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Pippali mool (Long pepper Root) – Piper Longum||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Sambhar Salt||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Samudra Lavana – Common salt||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Sarjika Kshara||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Sauvarchala Lavana (Sochal Namak) – Black Salt (Kala Namak)||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Sendha Namak – Rock Salt||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Sonth – Zingiber Officinale||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Vida Lavana (Vida salt) – Ammonium Salt||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Yava Kshara (Natural Potash obtained from barley) – Hordeum Vulgare||6.66%||16.66 mg|
|Lemon Juice or Pomegranate Juice||Q.S.||Q.S.|
Note: According to Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Chitrakadi Gutika contains a single ingredient, which is Chitrak (Plumbago Zeylanica). The bark powder of Chitrak (Plumbago Zeylanica) is mixed with water to make tablets. This formulation of Chitrakadi Gutika is useful in spleen disorder. It is also useful in loss of appetite that occurs due to liver or spleen disorder including hepatitis.
Chitrakadi Vati has following healing properties.
- Aam Pachak (Detoxifier)
- Digestive Stimulant
- Fat Burner
Chitrakadi Vati is helpful in following health conditions.
- Loss of appetite
- Constipation (with sticky stool and mucus discharge in the stool)
- Gas or Flatulence
- Abdominal Distension
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – When stool is sticky and mucus discharge in the stool
- Weight loss (Obesity)
BENEFITS & MEDICINAL USES
AMA (as discussed above) is main cause of several diseases. Chitrakadi Vati reduces its production as well as digests the AMA by improving digestion and metabolism in the body. Chitrakadi Vati is beneficial in following symptoms:
- Loss of appetite (should not be associated with gastritis or ulcer disease)
- White coating on tongue
- Sweet taste in mouth
- Diarrhea with mucus discharge
- Abdominal heaviness due to indigestibility of food
Chitrakadi Vati is also a digestive stimulant and increases the acid production in the stomach and bile secretion from the liver.
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION
The general dosage of Chitrakadi Vati is as follows.
|Children||1/2 – 1 tablet (125 – 250 mg) *|
|Adults||1 to 2 Tablets (250 to 500 mg) *|
|Geriatric (Old age)||1/2 – 1 tablet (125 – 250 mg) *|
* Twice a day with warm water
The maximum dosage of Chitrakadi Vati should not exceed from 2000 mg in a 24-hour period. The dosage can be adjusted according to body weight and health condition of the person.
- Body Type with VATA Dominance: Chitrakadi Vati may be beneficial in decreased dosage (125 mg in children and 250 mg in adults).
- Body Type with PITTA Dominance: If possible, Chitrakadi Vati should be avoided in such people. However, if KAPHA symptoms are present, then a minimal dosage (50 – 100 mg in children & 125 – 250 mg in adults) of Chitrakadi Vati will be suitable.
- Body Type with KAPHA Dominance: The standard dosage should be used and the dosage can be increased up to 2 grams per day according to the severity and intensity of KAPHA symptoms.
Chitrakadi Vati is POSSIBLY SAFE & TOLERABLE within the dosage of Chitrakadi Vati described above. However, people with PITTA body type, having PITTA symptoms may not tolerate it.
There are no side effects observed when Chitrakadi Vati is used in KAPHA disorders. However, if it is used in PITTA symptoms or PITTA disorders, it can cause following side effects:
- Burning sensation in the abdomen
- Burning Sensation after a Bowel Movement
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding
Chitrakadi Vati should not be used in pregnancy.
Due to the salt content in Chitrakadi Vati, it may be not suitable in following diseases:
- Hypernatremia (High Level of Sodium in the Blood)
- Diabetes Insipidus (if dehydration occurs and sodium level increases in the blood)
- High blood pressure
- Sodium restriction in renal diseases
Chitrakadi Vati also increases the acid production in the stomach, so it is also not suitable in following symptoms:
- Mouth ulcers
- Burning sensation in the abdomen
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Ulcerative colitis